Thread: Hello! New Guy Playing Ni/BW/BW/BW

Default Hello! New Guy Playing Ni/BW/BW/BW

Hello!
    <O</O
    <O</O
    I read through the first couple pages of this forum and thought I'd join.

<O</OI've only played the English versions of FF1 and FF2. Tried to play FF3, but thought it was boring so I quit pretty soon into it. I'm not big on the new video games, but I do like first person shooters a lot.<O</O

Currently, I'm playing the NES version of FF1 on emulator, though I'm not using any of the emulator's features such as its save states.<O</O

I've been coming to this site for years and using its info. Way back when, I had the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide. I had a subscription to that magazine from its first year on.<O</O

My first video game RPG was Dragon Warrior. Loved it. I got FF1 for Christmas. Really loved it. I still remember the first time I beat it.<O</O
    <O</O

A few days ago, I was reading through how people were playing solo quests and such, so I decided to play something other than a "normal" group. Thought about a solo Red Mage or Fighter, but I'm playing for nostalgia and fun rather than as some sort of personal challenge and didn't want to have to level up like a mofo.<O</O
    <O</O

I went with a Thief/Black Mage/Black Mage/Black Mage. Thought about doing all BM's, but then decided that since I have never used a thief I'd stick one in. I knew he'd be good at running too, which would help in certain areas and against certain enemies.<O</O
    <O</O

He was damn useless until after the Dwarves blow the canal and he got the Dragon Sword. Then he seemed to be about as good as a Red Mage with a silver sword, which was just fine by me.<O</O
    <O</O

Currently, I've class-changed and am at the volcano. It's been pretty fun. Earlier, I used the Pravoka peninsula, but I don't feel guilty about it since I think it was put there on purpose and since I found it on my own a long time ago without reading or hearing about it. <O</O
    <O</O

Like i say, I did the class change before the volcano. If the enemy has any weaknesses (undead, ice monsters, etc.) it's lucky to last the first round. Ran/blew through everything so far without ever intentionally leveling, but now the uber-sexual Kary is whipping my ass. At first I liked it.<O</O
    <O</O

All are on level 13. The Ninja is using the Ice Sword and does either 1-2 points of damage or like 20-30 or so every once in a while. It's like he's using an ice pick instead of a sword. The mages do no better. Their best attack is Fire 3, then down to Ice 2. I think I've fought her like five times.<O</O
    <O</O

So, I guess I'm going to level up a few then go back.<O</O
    <O</O

Just thought I'd drop a line here and say hello to some fellow original Final Fantasy lovers.

Glad to see someone else with no objection to the Pravoka penninsula. It's pretty obvious that it was intentional; if we could work out the whole "the world is split into squares" thing, then it's clear that Squaresoft knew about it as well, if it weren't meant to be there, they would've shortened the damn thing by two tiles.

P.S. Pleeeeeaaase don't write in black :(

OH MY GOD

THE GREEN SMILIES ARE INVADING! EVERYONE! USE YOUR THIEF AND RUN!

Blog Entries

You used the Pravoka Peninsula, Class Changed, and now you're only at Lv. 13?

First of all, eah, you're doing something wrong tackling Kary with this party at lv. 13.

Second of all, though I didn't read your post, I know that you're only gdoing 20-30 DMG if you're NOT casting Fast. Not casting Fast on your Ninja with a party like this is like... It's like bringing boxing gloves to a gun fight.

Kary has no weakpoints, so casting Fire3, your single cast at lv 13, will be just as good as anything (Except FASTING your Ninja).

So do that, and then your chances will be best. Otherwise the best I can tell you s to level.

With 3 BMs, the only advantage your Thief brings is very mediocre fighting and spectacular running. Perhaps very necessary if you want to beat the game at lower levels than 4 BMs will allow, but you'll still see Hell in an above ground Volcano if you're only at level 13.

GOOD LORD!

That is a lot of green smilies.

Anyway, glad your enjoying the old school'dness of FF.

"Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"