Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: goooo pats (NFL playoffs)

Blog Entries

It was Ricky Manning Jr who had the black in the back. they even said it durring the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    You totally did not deserve to get that second touchdown. The Saints would've been out at the 1 Yard line, but it was possible we could have made the stop for 3, making the score 24/23 at end, or much, much different.
    Actually, I'd like to clarify that rule a bit. A similar situation happened in the Saints/Cowboys game (the Week 14 game, not the pre-season one). Here's what happened in that game:

Mike Karney, on a 6-yard rush, lept out of bounds while his feet were inbounds and touched the pylon with the ball. The officials initially ruled the play out of bounds at the 1 yard line, but Sean Payton's coaching staff at the replay booth saw the replay and told him to challenge it. After the referee reviewed the play, he found that Karney's feet were in bounds before he jumped forward, and the ball touched the pylon. For a touchdown to be legal, all that has to happen is, the ball has to cross the plane of the goal line. The rule on that is, basically, the plane of the goal line "goes around the world," meaning, even if the ball is out of bounds when it crosses the plane of the goal line, or even if your feet are out of bounds when they cross the plane of the goal line (provided you're in bounds first), it still counts as a touchdown. I can understand how you disagree with that call (I disagreed with the ruling reversed in that Cowboys game at first, until the "plane of the goal line goes around the world" rule was clarified on the challenge), but at least give the refs some credit for being consistent.

And it is very possible to see a rematch of Super Bowl XX, since the two teams who played that SB are in the Conference Championships; it's also possible that we could see Peyton Manning go up against his favorite team growing up (which just so happens to be the very team his father, Archie, once played for) in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by Bloodline666; 01-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No one ever said it was a very good rule.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I hate that "indefinite plane" rule.

However, to further clarify the rule, I think it states that SOME part of the ball carrier must touch in-bounds, even if it's an empty hand.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Case in point, they did not deserve that touchdown.

If I said that they didn't get it, it would mean that I would deny that rule its proper unfolding eventage.

If Reggie Bush was indeed out of bounds before he ran over the pylon, then Andy Reid should've challenged the ruling, since there was still 3 minutes and change before the 2-minute warning (though if the ruling on the field stood, the Eagles would've been charged a time-out; which wouldn't hurt the Eagles, though, since it was still the first half, and they'd get a fresh set of time-outs at Halftime, anyway), since only the officials' replay booth can call for a review inside the two minute warning and the duration of Overtime (coaches throwing the challenge flag inside the 2 minute warning and in overtime get a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty). So if it was the officials' fault for ruling incorrectly, then it's equally Andy Reid's fault for not throwing the challenge flag. He could've saved his team by doing so, but there's a chance it would've delayed the inevitable by about 1-3 plays.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The sad part is, that your indefinite plane rule still applies, so there's no point in challenging it.

I don't like it, but the rule is a rule. Yet that doesn't mean I can't object to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodline666 View Post
    WHO DAT?! WHO DAT?! WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?!

(translation: do you think it'll be called the Tony Romo Rule, or the David Akers Rule?)
    You totally did not deserve to get that second touchdown. The Saints would've been out at the 1 Yard line, but it was possible we could have made the stop for 3, making the score 24/23 at end, or much, much different.
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything (I actually like the Eagles), but you can't honestly think you could've made the stop against what most likely would've been a plain McAllister dive play when he ended up with nearly 7 YPC against the run D that day.
    What I've been listening to:

The reffing, was one sided for the Eagles vs. Saints.
    SO I BEGIN WITH - - - THE END IN MIND

Psychological Pollution,
    They Stickin' Me With Thorazine Solution,
    Shootin' At The Sky Lookin' For Godly Retribution

'Til I'm Impressed With The Print I Can Hear A Pin Drop Like Sprint, Once It Blends I Can Stop Right Then

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Weirder things have happened.

As for LaDainian, I can understand why he almost blew up at the Patriots' sideline after the game. I probably would've done the same thing if the opposing team was mocking and/or disrespecting my team and/or teammates at midfield in my team's home turf. Of course, being a Cowboys fan, I'll never forget the time T.O. raced down midfield after his second touchdown and slammed the ball on the Cowboys' star there at Texas Stadium and then-Cowboys safety George Teague slammed him down hard on the turf; I, like most other Cowboys fans, hated him ever since, yet, I never expected him to become a Cowboy later on until the whole soap opera with him and the Eagles last season unfolded (the Eagles even tried to get Jerry Jones in trouble with then-Commissioner Paul Tagliabue for tampering, since Jerry Jones made comments about wanting to get T.O. on the team, and that's when I started to like T.O.). That's what the Patriots mocking Shawne Merriman's "Lights Out" dance at midfield in the Chargers' home field and Tomlinson's subsequent reaction reminded me of.

And since T.O. and George Teague were fined by the league for their respective actions in the Cowboys Star incident, something tells me that the Patriots organization (or at the very least, the players mocking the "Lights Out" dance) and possibly LaDainian are going to get fined by the league for their actions, as well. And knowing how Roger Goodell's been pretty strict about player character in his first year alone as NFL Commissioner, and has subsequently been a hard-ass with regards to enforcement of the rules, the fines are probably going to be stiffer than the fines Owens and Teague received back in 2000.

And while I'm on the subject of the Chargers game, yesterday's loss to the Patriots now makes Marty Schottenheimer's career post-season record 5-13 as a head coach (though it could be worse, percentage-wise. Jim Mora, Sr, the coach famous for his "PLAYOFFS?!" tirade, is 0-6 in the "PLAYOFFS?!"). And from what I've heard from souces such as ESPN's SportsCenter and Adam Shefter from NFL Network, the owner of the Chargers made it clear that, regardless of the Chargers' regular season success, if they did not at the very least make it to Super Bowl XLI, then Schottenheimer would be on the hot seat, with regards to his coaching future with the Chargers. So, despite the regular season success and the number 1 seed in the AFC, Marty Schottenheimer's future with the Chargers doesn't look that good. He has a possibility of being fired within the next month and a half; the Chargers front office clearly wanted an AFC Championship, and nothing less. Obviously, the Chargers have failed to deliver, and as everyone knows, in the world of sports, the head coach usually takes responsibility for it, and is usually the first to pay for failure with his job.
    Last edited by Bloodline666; 01-16-2007 at 12:09 AM.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

i for one can't believe how the Seahawks came in ready to win and still managed to find a way to lose. Chicago looked bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc View Post
    i for one can't believe how the Seahawks came in ready to win and still managed to find a way to lose. Chicago looked bad.
    And Matt Hasselbeck didn't even have to say in the ref's mic, "We want the ball, and we're gonna score" after Seattle won the Overtime coin toss. That's how he jinxed his team the last time he was at midfield for an Overtime coin toss (plus, he choked that time, too, by throwing an interception that was returned for a TD).

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In an overtime game in Chicago, I'd almost rather take the wind than the ball. If you have faith in your defense then you should get at least one posession, and that can make all the difference for a kicker.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

well, the Seahawks just weren't that good this year, so it's not like they deserved to be in the NFC championship game anyway. But the Bears sucked it up.