Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Thread: goooo pats (NFL playoffs)

This seems like old news, but as of yesterday, there's been an update about it.

Anyone remember Reggie Bush's TD last week, where right before he reached the end zone, he turned his face towards Brian Urlacher's direction and pointed at him, shaking his index finger?

Well, upon further investigation, the league office hit The President with a $5,000 fine for taunting; such a fine is the standard fine for a first offense for taunting.

Now, according to the NFL rule book, taunting is supposed to result in a 15-yard penalty. Meaning, the touchdown was supposed to have been waived off, and the down would have to be replayed 15-yards back, since the taunt was committed by the offense, and it occurred during the play, itself. However, no penalty flag was thrown, and understandably so, probably because the gesture made by Reggie Bush was ambiguous, and thus, was difficult for the refs to determine whether or not it could be interpreted as taunting at the time of the infraction. Lovie Smith could not legally challenge that, because whether or not a penalty was committed is not challengable according to the Instant Replay rules. Needless to say, the only way the lack of penalty flag affected the outcome of the game was the margin of victory by the Bears. As a matter of fact, had it not been for Reggie Bush's taunting, I think this game would've gone down to the wire, as Bush's taunt only succeeded in firing up the Bears' D.

With a hardass such as Roger Goodell in office as NFL Commissioner, don't be surprised if taunting fines, or fines in general, start increasing. He's already proven himself as such in the way he handled both the Albert Haynesworth stomping incident, and the T.O. spitting incident (which already showed an increase in spitting fines).

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You and Texas should get together.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Bush claimed that the taunt was a result on what he thought were the Bears throwing in some cheap shots at the bottom of piles and didn't actually mean to point at Urlacher specifically. Even then, he apologized immediately at the press conference.

The fine is warranted and Bush knows it. He's still a class act and a great role model for other young players to emulate.
    What I've been listening to:

Articles

Except when he's taking money for rent.

Hey, oh!