Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bows or Guns ?

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

Bows, on Vaan. He's fast, give him a fast weapon, and he's faster. A ranged fast weapon if amazing.
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

In spite of guns ignoring defense, I tend to steer away from them with Balthier. I use them against flying enemies and until I can get a pole. Personally, bows may be less accurate of the two, but I find guns are slow weapons compared to normal, non-fast weapons. Plus, I always loved archery.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Balthier looks better with a Katana IMHO. A gun makes him too "pruddy", too metrosexual
    Balthier is a metrosexual with any weapon equipped. That's not a bad thing though, as he's a cool character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryûkishi View Post
    ZORN: "We are opposed to reviving long-dead threads!"
    THORN: "Opposed to reviving--hey, you know what? I'm tired of this whole stupid shtick. I have no trouble talking in uninverted sentences, and while I have no idea about my partner here since we never even talk to each other outside of work, Thorn's not even my real name. It's Larry, and I quit."

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox View Post
    Why is guns attack power so low? I use bows, people!
    ....I can only shake my head. Why is peoples reading so low?

come on, I'm not the only one here who's bitter, right?

where's my peeps!?

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Fickle Fanboy Recognized Member Drex's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Frontsite Contributions

I mostly want to hit people who don't read other replies that directly address the questions they ask, yes.

As of now, I'm using a bow with Fran, but I've read on GameFAQs that Balthier and Fran are the worste choices for guns and bows, respectively.

i dono about that, but weapons are supposed to affect the ammount of stats you gain for every level, along with the defaut lv up bonuses.

i pefer guns and lances. telekenesis is good too.

Contributions

The problem with Telekinesis is that it takes longer to 'power up' or whatever. I only use Telekinesis against flying enemies; if I want to do ranged damage on a regular basis, I'll just use a ranged weapon.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Balthier looks better with a Katana IMHO. A gun makes him too "pruddy", too metrosexual
    He might look better but not the best choice since a katana's damage is based on the wielder's magic power rather than strength. That is why I made katana my secondary weapon choice for Fran, though I have yet to use them.

I wonder why someone would say bows are bad for Fran? I was under the impression that she was one of the faster characters in the game, thus making bows more suitable since their damage has a basis in speed. I know they have poor accuracy, but still they are a fast weapon.

Contributions

I was looking over the speed of each of my characters, and Fran is definitely in the upper portion. Can't remember if she was the best - I think Balthier had a Mirage Vest on, so his stat wasn't accurate - but she was worth it. Plus now I've got the Cat Ear Hood on her.

I prefer guns because they do massive damage plus they have a 100% accuracy! Right now my Baltheir has a gun and his on normal damage is about 500-600 and during critical 1,000-1,400. Which is my book from where I'm at in the game is alot of damage.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

Quote Originally Posted by farplaner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox View Post
    Why is guns attack power so low? I use bows, people!
    ....I can only shake my head. Why is peoples reading so low?

come on, I'm not the only one here who's bitter, right?

where's my peeps!? :D
    HAHA lol I have read everything on here, but I just wont use guns. Why, becuase its attack power is to low. It may ignore defence but... MMM... Its like those people who wont wear clothes under 100$... Being at the Feywood I wont use weapons with attack power lower than 70...

Contributions

I would judge a weapon based on damage inflicted, not on attack power. Attack power is meaningless if it comes down to that, in my estimation. Just like a person who won't wear clothes under $100 yet doesn't search out quality, it just doesn't make any sense.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The point is that your selection of weapons and prejudice against guns based on your demand for high attack power is based solely in your refusal to face a fact that discredits your reasoning. I agree with Drex; if you suffer from big number syndrome, at least use the damage dealt by the weapon as your guage and not the attack power.

I like my bows personally They seem to become more powerful more quickly then bows as you progress through the first half of the game, so that's the way I've gone as I've played.