Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally trying a solo challenge

Default Finally trying a solo challenge

So I've gone for a solo challenge which I believe should be fairly easy: A Fighter. I'm playing the NES version because DoS doesn't have any saves free, and I don't (currently) have it on the PSX. Playing without any buff spells courtesy of the Red Mage(s) I usually have could make it kinda hard and I've already died a couple of times, but being able to hold the speedup button on the emulator because I'll never strike an ineffective makes it kinda worth it.

Party:

Fighter - Kill
    Black Mage - Dead
    Black Mage - Dead
    Black Mage - Dead
    (Get it? Because I left them dead! Ha ha ha!)

I'm almost at Pravoka, level 5. What level ought I to be to take on those darn pirates? Well I guess I'll find out in about ten minutes or so!

Edit: That was so easy. I don't know why I was worried.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 01-02-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The game shouldn't be too hard. I never really use buff spells in the game anyway. Occasionally fast, but it's not important at all.

In a low level game things lke haste and saber are essential.

you should be able to get through just fine the fiends might be a challenge without buff spells. I remeber i did a solo red mage and a solo black mage without class promotions i got to chaos as the black mage but could never beat him and i beat it with the red mage just rember to get the giants gloves for saber those will save you often

Blog Entries

If you class change, then it'll be extremely easy becasue Xcalibur plus Dragon Armor, Aegis Shield, ProRing, Ribbon = Immortal by lv. 30.

Seriously, it'll take youto Chaos before you take damage (Not entirely true, but the exceptions won't matter because you'll also have White Magic)

And on solo games, lv. 30 comes super fast. It'll be almost too easy.
    I mean, you've already done the hardest part, which is not forgeting to save and heal after Garland and then immediately goig to Provoka upon which travel you immediately randomly encounter 2 Ogres who kill your lv 2, 15 HP, Rapier wielding self.

-----------------

If you don't class change, then you'll have to be more careful about saving items like the mage staff, Thor Hammer, and such.

But Flame Armor, Ice Shield and a Sun Sword will still take good care of you. Again, you level fast enough that the ONLY problem would be chopping up Kary without an Ice Sword.

(SPOILER)Why you wouldn't get the Ice Sword is beyond me. This is actually a very easy part of the game. It's only hard for me because I'm a jacknape and I forget the labrynth patterns and end up fighting Kary without an Ice Sword. I'm far too stubborn to go back and find the Ice Sword or to retry, so things can be difficult for me. The real hardest part, as in every solo game, will be Kraken, since his multiple hits will be able to do massive damage if he gets a lot of criticals, no matter your armor. Since you won't be wearing Opal, which can still take 500 Damage, I can't guarantee that you won't face 800 damage from Kraken unless you've gon and gotten the white shirt and INV2'd yourself a bajillion times. Pray it casts Dark and Lit2 (Which it will).
    Last edited by Martyr; 01-05-2007 at 03:04 AM.

Well right now I'm at Elfland, trying to level up. It's not the Ogres who are a problem, it's those goddamned Creeps.

Ugh, my balls just fell off; I keep getting killed by paralysis groups like GEIST and ZOMBIE in Marsh Cave.

The Marsh Cave was one of the toughest areas for me the first time I played. I did a two member party once, and that's exactly where I gave up

Well I did do it once, but a paralysis group killed me on the way back to Elfland, so this time I'm packing TENTs from Coneria so I can save. (Yay, finally got myself an avatar and signature.)
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 01-06-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Good luck with the Solo Fighter game! It should be the easiest of the solo games, AFAIK. Just watch out for enemies that petrify or instantly kill you (such as Sorcerers).
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I imagined a Red Mage would be marginally easier actually. Although I'm on the verge of giving up: I've attempted the Marsh Cave about seventeen times now, and it's not my level that's the problem; most enemies deal 1 damage and I kill them in one hit. It's the paralysis enemies. Remember how in Pokemon Stadium on the N64 the luck-related attacks would always work against you? This is worse. This is a thousand times worse. I only ever wake up BEFORE that goddamn CRAWL attacks me again, and I only ever get my "STILL GODDAMN PARALYZED" message AFTER the CRAWL has attacked, which I would SERIOUSLY FRICKIN' PREFER TO HAPPEN THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

I'm gonna give it one more try, then I'm gonna cheat.

Blog Entries

No, don't cheat. Just save at a tent outside the Marsh cave. It's 3 rooms and about 12 fights max. They're not all Crawls, they're almost NEVER double Crawls, so kill the crawl or RUN if you must, but never cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr View Post
    No, don't cheat. Just save at a tent outside the Marsh cave. It's 3 rooms and about 12 fights max. They're not all Crawls, they're almost NEVER double Crawls, so kill the crawl or RUN if you must, but never cheat.
    I already TENTed oustide. But no matter what, I get at least one CRAWL, usually a second one if I manage to kill the first. Then there's the GEIST groups; I don't stand a chance against six of those; even a White Mage wouldn't fire off a HRM2 in time. And running never works because, surprise cockfags!, they paralyze me first. I haven't felt this frustrated since I worked in a customer service callcentre.

Blog Entries

Dude, I did it. I did it with a Thief, RM, and a Fighter. You can do it. Once you give up, you gotta quit the entire thing. Your credibility is shot.

You have any idea how many times I fought Astos? You have any idea how many Ogres I killed with a solo Thief before fighting Astos for the 40th time for the 5th time?

Well yeah, but RUB is an instant death spell, and you know often they always miss in RPGs. Anyway, I'm going back in to further boil my patience :)

Okay, just to further depress us all, I'm gonna keep editing this post to chronicle all my attempts

1) Threee ZOMBIEs, three GHOULs. Work it out.
    2) Got four WIZARDs; the last one killed me. Just my luck.
    3) CRAWL, 3 BONEs and an R.BONE. CRAWL paralyzed me before I could RUN and I never came out of it again! Wanker.
    4) Well, right now I have the CROWN and I'm on my way out... could this be it? Well, I got to the last step before the ladder leading the the main entrance. Two ZOMBIEs and two GHOULs killed me. Here goes number 5...
    5) CRAWL, 2 BONEs and an R.BONE. Same as 3, and THIS time I even got "Chance to strike first", yet couldn't run. What the? Man, how many alternate timelines has the world ended in now?
    6) CRAWL, 3 BONEs. This is getting old now.
    7) So far I've been able to RUN from a 3 GHOUL, 3 ZOMBIE group. And now, after coming all this way, I've killed four WIZARDs, somehow. Grabbing the CROWN. Let's keep moving... Okay, back on the first basement floor, near the exit. We know that ZOMBIEs and GHOULs roam this area. Here goes nothing... I'm out! Oh my FRIGGING LORD, I'm out! Finally!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 01-07-2007 at 05:12 AM.