Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So yeah, about Interceptor

Default So yeah, about Interceptor

I've run a search on the forum for topics about Shadow's dog, interceptor but didn't find anything close to what I'm looking for.

It's been awhile since I've last played through FFVI but from what I remember, the times I have played in WoR...Interceptor just, well, vanishes :\.

What I mean is, during WoB, he takes hits for Shadow then does some random attacks that do a decent amount of damage. However, in WoR I don't remember seeing it ever again O_o.

I'm pretty sure he's in the final ending and when you find Shadow in WoR (if you did what you needed to on the floating continent) but yeah..

Interceptor's disappearance has been bugging me for quite awhile now...wth am I missing? >_<
    "We don't know what we're going to do when we get there, but we're not going to die without good reason."- Heero Yuy, Gundam Wing

email me here!
    my little home away from home

Quote Originally Posted by Ranti84 View Post
    Interceptor's disappearance has been bugging me for quite awhile now...wth am I missing? >_<
    One dog, apparently. :P

I've never really noticed Interceptor's supposed disappearance. I didn't use Shadow that often.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    One dog, apparently. :P
    Booooo!

Hmm, I don't remember seeing Interceptor retaliate in any battles in the WoR either. Then again, if I have Shadow in my party 9 times out of 10 I have him throw a skean or edge which kills most of the enemies instantly, so he never gets hit much.
    Figaro Castle

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've run a search on the forum for topics about Shadow's dog, interceptor but didn't find anything close to what I'm looking for.

It's been awhile since I've last played through FFVI but from what I remember, the times I have played in WoR...Interceptor just, well, vanishes :\.

What I mean is, during WoB, he takes hits for Shadow then does some random attacks that do a decent amount of damage. However, in WoR I don't remember seeing it ever again O_o.

I'm pretty sure he's in the final ending and when you find Shadow in WoR (if you did what you needed to on the floating continent) but yeah..

What you need to understand is that Interceptor in battle is a status effect, just like Poison, Blind or Shell, just that it is isn't visible to the player. The status effect is set to active for shadow when he joins you, and never again after that, because the Interceptor status cannot be removed in any way, and therefore does not need to be reactivated at any time. Well, this is how the programmers envisioned it, however, they made a mistake! (in fact, FF6 has so many errors and glitches, it's not even funny). You see, there is an enemy in WoR, called Reach Frog. This enemy has a skill known as Discord. Whenever used, this skill would exchange the status effects of the user with the status effects of the target, both good and bad status effects. Luckily, the programmers decided that it would only exchange some of the status effects, like protect, shell, blind, poison, float and a few others.

Guess what? They did a mistake again! The Discord skill ended up exchanging absolutely every status effect possible when used, this includes Shadow's Interceptor status. This means that when a Reach Frog uses Dischord on Shadow, the Reach frog gains every status effect Shadow has, including his Interceptor status, and Shadow gains every status effect the Reach Frog had at the moment it used Dischord (which is usually none, because enemies don't usually cast status spells on themselves).

Now, when you kill those Reach Frogs to finish the battle. You killed the enemy that stole your Interceptor status. And with no way of activating that status again, because the programmers thought they made it impossible to lose it, you can never get it back.

So the conclusion is, if you care about your cute little Interceptor, never ever let Shadow battle a Reach Frog.

In fact, there is one way to get him back, but it is kind of tricky, and requires opening the save file in a hex editor, and edit the interceptor status back in. While you're doing that, it is actually possible to give the Interceptor status to every other character you have too, if you should want that. However, if you have no idea what a hex editor even is, this isn't for you.

Let's just hope it has been fixed in the GBA version...
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Wow, I learn something new every day. Thanks Mirage.
    Figaro Castle

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Rippler swaps stats, Dischord halves them.

And yeah, Rippler can make Gogo or Strago do funny things too. Like Dance and Morph.

My my, Mirage. Such a font of information you are. Weren't you the one who explained why Vanish/Doom always hits?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yes, I stand corrected by Jowy. Rippler, not Discord.

Rippler even swaps the Near Death status without actually lowering your HP :p, making equipment that give you positive statuses when near death activate.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I let Shadow die p_p

Wow, and here I was thinking I knew everything about Final Fantasy VI.

Blog Entries

That's just amazing...

[evaile=B.mage]-[/evaile]
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Does that also mean that if you attack a Reach Frog after it has stolen the Interceptor status, Interceptor comes out and takes hits for the Reach Frog, and also attacks your party? That would be pretty funny.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that's why I never battle those frogs. :/

I think it's fixed in the GBA version though. I haven't tested it out yet though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Does that also mean that if you attack a Reach Frog after it has stolen the Interceptor status, Interceptor comes out and takes hits for the Reach Frog, and also attacks your party? That would be pretty funny.
    I would assume so.

It also means that if Strago has learned Rippler, he could take Interceptor back from the frog. The same would apply for Gogo :p.

Blog Entries

Can Gau use it if he rages Reach frog?

Can Relm use it if she uses control or sketch?

Im not sure how these work because i dont use them alot (in fear of sketch bugs )

[evaile=B.mage]-[/evaile]
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!