Thread: Super Mario RPG 2: Yea or Nay?

The coolest moogle ever. ~Storm Ninja~'s Avatar

Super Mario RPG 2: Yea or Nay?

The title says it all.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Nay.

I love Super Mario!

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

Hell yeah! We need a true sequel to Super Mario RPG with Geno, Mallow, Croco, Smithy, Jonathan Johnny Jones, Jinx, and Bowser as an allie.

With Super Mario RPG coming out on Wii's virtual console, I think it would be great if they came out with a true sequel to it on Wii as well. I'm sick of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi subsituting for SMRPG2; it's time we actually get it!

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definite yea! That game was and continues to be great.

I don't think they should make another one after this long.

It's okay that they made many FF games because we gradually worked our way up from the old games to the modern ones. But if they made a SMRPG2, it wouldn't be much like the original, I don't think. It's like comparing the gameplay style of FF4 to that of FFXII.

Of course, I'd like to see more Geno, but now that it's been so many years, I'd rather not because I don't think it would be true to the spirit of the original game.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

I'd love it. As long as they didn't mess it up.

how could anyone say no. this is one of the best rpgs ever, and its way overdue for a true sequal.

What i have shown you is reality....What you remember, that is the illusion

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Only if Bowser can join your party again! =O

I don't see why a game deserves a sequel just because it's good. Super Mairo RPG was awesome, I agree. But when you beat the game, the story came to a close. Geno's work was done, so you wouldn't be seeing him again. Smithy was finished, and everythig returned to normal. Having a sequel implies that the world is going to get into some other trouble outside the normal day-to-day stuff and Mario is going to save the day again. SMRPG ends with the feeling of "happily ever after". It's like in the regular Mario games. When you beat the game, you've won. Bowser is dead/defeated, and the Princess is rescued. While there are many Super Mario games for NES and Super NES, I don't think that any of them are connected, storywise. They all seem to take place seperate from one another, and it works out well. They're really more "follow-ups" than "sequels".

Now, if by "Sequel" you mean "Follow up", that's another story. A follow up, of course, being a game in the style of a previous title, but not picking up where the old story left off.

And I think a Follow Up is a worse idea than a sequel.

Having a sequel come in and make the old game's ending into a lie is bad enough.

But a follow-up just seems like it wouldn't be faithful to the game. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked FFTA just fine, but not as much as I was expecting to based on my previous experience with FFT.

People tend to think that they'd love to see a sequel or follow-up to a game they really enjoyed, but in my experience, I find new title actually seems to cheapen the awesomeness of the original. I know, we all say "It would be cool if they made a decent sequel/follow-up to SMRPG, one that is faithful to the original game", but that varies from person to person. Chances are, the game they'd end up making wouldn't be what you had in mind.

Look at FF7. Now, I do like DoC and Advent Children, but I feel like Square kinda messed with something that was done. FF7 left me with a lot of questions, but most great stories end with both a sense of closure and a sense of question, which is what makes the story so amazing. Then in Advent Children when you see Rufus, I mean, come on. I was sure that he was dead. If I made a list of things that had happened by the end of Final Fantasy VII, Rufus's permanant death would've been on that list. And then they make a sequel movie that just goes over what the original story tells you and changes it around. They had to do that because FF7 had an ending, and therefore in order to continue the story, they had to change the story of FF7 as it was understood.

And that's what you're facing with SMRPG. The story is over. It's a greta, fun story that's a blast to play through, but it's finished. Trying to add onto it most likely won't work because there's nothing more to be done.

I suppose it could be done. I suppose Nintendo and Square could get together and make another SMRPG, and I'd probably play it. And who knows, it might come out super awesome. But I doubt it. If it's a sequel, I can't see how they'd fit that in to the original story without butchering the original story. And if it's a follow-up, it's not gonna have enough in common with the original to make you feel like you're playing more of the original. Like, you probably won't see Geno or Mallow. The landscapes will all look different, obviously.

In short, SMRPG is an awesome game, and is not in need of anything further. It's already great, so let's leave it at its greatness. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

There's actually one specific reason i made this thread.

Square-enix could be working on another fantastic nintendo-square-enix co-op RPG, but y'know what they gave us last time they joined together?

Basketball. Mario hoops 3 on 3 basketball.

Don't get me wrong. Mario Sports is cool by me, hell I'll slam dunk with a mog anyday.

But there are more constructive things that could be done *coughrpgcough*

which reminds me, feioncastor, a bit long winded, but you make a good point. I'll keep the poll up, but who has another idea for a nintendo-square project as opposed to a SMRPG2?

if you really like the SMRPG2 idea, don't flame me for doing this, the poll is still up for another 59 days.

(I'm thinking zelda)

Nah, Square needs to keep their hands off my Zelda. Who knows, maybe they'll get a wild hair and make a SSB RPG. I'd definately try that one.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNatural View Post
    Hell yeah! We need a true sequel to Super Mario RPG with Geno, Mallow, Croco, Smithy, Jonathan Johnny Jones, Jinx, and Bowser as an allie.
    That was my first thoughts. But feioncastor makes a good point too. I would only want a sequel to be made if it was going to be really darn good, and preferably made by Square so it can keep its... style, I guess.

That said, what I want most of all is a re-release of the game on GBA or DS. I mean really, is that too much to ask?

"But a follow-up just seems like it wouldn't be faithful to the game. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked FFTA just fine, but not as much as I was expecting to based on my previous experience with FFT."

Agreed, however there have been good follow-ups. Chrono Cross, despite being a sequel, was more of a follow-up than anything else. I actually enjoyed that game more