Thread: The class change looks like ass, so...

Default The class change looks like ass, so...

Soon my Fighter will be a Knight, and while this means he'll be a lot tougher and be able to learn a few White spells that I'll hardly ever use, it also means he'll look hideous. Those long legs, gigantic shoulders and shrunken head... ugh. I hate the original FF1's class change graphics so much that yesterday, I opened the ROM in FFHackster and started editing the sprites. So far I've done the Knight, using one of my favourite FF sprites of all time...

I've already got good sprites for the Red Wizard, Master and Ninja I can use from FF3j. The Black Wizard looks alright but I may have to do a custom one for the White Wizard (lol Gandalf): That cat costume hardly looks like an upgrade.

If this has done before (replacing the class change sprites with FF3j counterparts), will someone please tell me where to get an IPS patch or something? If not, I'll upload the patch somewhere and you guys'll be the first to know! ;)

I designed my own characters and made my own game one long time ago... let's see if I can find the sprites I made.

ah I found them... I called the game FF animals

Fighter was a Trainer, and upgraded into a Master
    Black Belt was a Lizard, and upgraded to Chameleon(using the color changing palette, it was tight)
    Theif was a Tiger and upgraded to a Lion
    Red Mage was a Man, and upgraded into God (could learn more magic in my game)
    White mage was a Falconess, and upgraded into a Phoenix
    Black Mage was a "Unknown" and upgraded into a Dragon

I think it was pretty tight. Completely overhauled world map and everything. New town sprites and such, stackable mountains that are walkable on in some places. At least, that was my really good hacked game I never distributed. Yeah good times.

the main site with FFHackster has all sorts of hacks, one prolly has the FFIII sprite overhaul

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I agree that the original Knight sprite is horrific. Maybe if didn't have a large bent alien-like appendage where his legs should be.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never noticed if he looks hideous. Fighter/Knight is my favourite so I guess I just like him unconditionally.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

The only one that really looks passable after the class change is the White Wizard. He looks like a ginger Jesus. I say he because, well: Look at them shoulders!

I happen to love all of the class change looks, actually. Except maybe the Ninja. He always looked like a red football player to me. I don't like the class changes in the remakes as much because they still look... childish. It's cooler in the NES version because they look like cool and awesome adults. And the remake "Black Wizard" looks laughably ridiculous.
    I downloaded a version of FFHackster, but it sucks and does not work. So, if you could please give me some kind of link, it would be awesome. Or at least tell me where this "missing DAT file" is.

The whole three guys in red thing is one of my pet peeves about the original so I redid the old sprites sticking to the original three color per char format.
    I have no idea why thief wasn't done like this originally.
    I'm not crazy about having fighter in gold or with two people in white now but it's probably the best that can be done within the old limits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, you do have to remember that this was way back in the nES days whengraphics weren't that great.

But for their time, the graphics were really good.
    Visit this amazing site:

www.squareboards.com

I am also known as Neofrodo there, so refer me if you join please.

Yep, I just wanted to see if it could have been done better.