Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else get a kick out of leveling up in some RPG:s?

Banned

Default Does anyone else get a kick out of leveling up in some RPG:s?

I'm playing Dragon Quest 2 right now, and while it isn't quite as good as it's sequels, it *is* really fun when it comes to leveling up.
    I always start off with running around outside of Midenhall Castle until I reach LV3, then I go "yay! I'm strong enough!" and head for Leftwyne; then I fight around close to that town until I reach LV8 and can afford the über-equipment in the town.
    And so on!
    I would do this in almost every RPG for the NES, and while it's usually required, I tend to find it really fun; you really get the feeling that all that leveling up actually has a purpose.
    You could get slaughtered by T3h Killer Monster, gain some levels, and then suddenly slaughter T3h Killer Monster yourself in return, as thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

leveling all 108 stars of destiny in suikoden v was always cool to do

Out of the FFs I've played so far, I think the levelling up in FF2 is the most fun. The system is completely different to the other 3 that i've played, and you have to be hit in order for your HP to go up.
    So to increase my HP faster, I tell my party to attack themselves in a fight. They level up really fast.

Cheers to Polaris for the set!

Final Fantasy's completed: I, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

Just as long as the gameplay is good.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I often try not to powerlevel unless absolutely necessary.

The exception being the superbosses in the Star Ocean games, since having a team of level 255 characters just looks awesome.

I don't really like leveling up, but I will if I have to. I guess it's different with MMO's for me, as you are kind of building up your character to do dungeons and other events with friends.

That said, I love being strategic with my battle systems.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by James Leopold View Post
    Out of the FFs I've played so far, I think the levelling up in FF2 is the most fun. The system is completely different to the other 3 that i've played, and you have to be hit in order for your HP to go up.
    So to increase my HP faster, I tell my party to attack themselves in a fight. They level up really fast.
    The game feels even more awesome if you let the stats develop by themselves, though.

I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Auragaea View Post
    I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.
    Have you tried DQ1 for the NES?
    That entire game consists of training, and it's STILL fun.

Level up at Tantegel, get the best equipment there, move on to Garinham, get the best equipment there, move on to Kol, get the best equipment there etc etc etc.

I miss kinje longaway :[ Eiko Guy's Avatar

I love stomping enemies but then I also love every fight being like a miniboss. WHen I gt stumped I want to find a strategy that will work at my current level instead of forcing me to be bored with weak monsters training. Hack slash rinse repeat. Blech I would die if that was videogaming.

Fat kids are harder to Kidnap.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not a kick, but it makes me feel superior.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

In earlier RPGs you had to level to get anywhere. Literally take time aside to do some leveling to actually have some success. In nowadays RPGs, just play through and you should level adequately. Just don't run from fights. I seriously NEVER run from a fight.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Level grinding sucks. :(

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Level grinding sucks.
    No, it doesn't.

I love how the characters gradually become stronger and stronger, and then suddenly somebody learns this Fireball spell or whatever, and I'm like OMG let's kill the enemies even faster, and then suddenly I can afford the best equipment, and then I breeze through the dungeon of death in which I got slaughtered an hour ago.

As I practically stated earlier, this is particularly fun in the early Dragon Quest games, especially DQ2 and DQ3.
    Wohoo!
    Last edited by Peter_20; 05-31-2007 at 01:27 PM.