It is no secret that Final Fantasy IV is one of the first game in the series that had a real storyline, even if it can be considered primitive and full of clichés compared to the newer games. But when you think about it, this game did bring a lot of those very same clichés into the series.

But one of those clichés has origins in one of Final Fantasy IV's predecessor, Final Fantasy II. I'm talking about the "character gets heroic death for more drama" cliché. Except FFIV didn't kill all of its characters that regularly rotated out of the party like FFII. No, FFIV twisted that cliché, killing only one of its heroes, but making most of the others suffer from "fake heroic death" syndrome. Most will agree when I say it was overdone.

My question is the following: if you were the one who created (or remade) Final Fantasy IV, how many of those fake deaths would you keep? How many would turn into real deaths? And how many would you simply transform into events that show the party member getting out of commission without there being any doubts about his or her survival?