Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI references in other games

Default Final Fantasy VI references in other games

So where have you seen references to Final Fantasy VI? I've noticed a few references in other games.

In Final Fantasy X-2, there's a description of the Ultima Weapon that says not to call him "Atma," obviously a reference to Ultima Weapon being shortened to Atma Weapon in VI.

The summons in Final Fantasy XII are called "Espers", which is not only a reference to VI, but a reference to the American version of VI. Summons in the Japanese version were called "Phantom Beasts" or something along those lines.

Ultros/Orthos makes an appearance as a flan in XII. He will only appear if the three active characters in your party are all female. You get an item from him, and the description of the item says "Don't tease the... flan?" Orthos also appears at the top of the Brightmoon Tor second assent in Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

So yeah. That's all I can think of. :P Anyone else?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

There's the guest appearances of Ultros, Doomgaze, Chupon and the Phantom Train as optional bosses in FFI Advance.
    Figaro Castle

I knew the Phantom Train was in it, but I didn't know about those other guys. It's like Final Fantasy VI-2. :P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The strategy guide for Crisis Core has a reference for an item in the back that reduces the mp of spell so almost nothing, interesting enough, the title of the little tip calls it the Economizer even though the item goes by another name in the game.

There's an old guy named "Locke" hanging around Lindblum in FF9, though it's debatable as to whether the reference was intentional; to my knowledge, Locke is an actual (very rare) boy's name.

Maduin, Terra's daddy, is believed by some to be analogous to FF9's Madeen summon. Since Madeen is a Moogle that's gone a bit "It's morphin' time! RAAARRRGGHHH! DEATH! KILL!" and one of Terra's likes is allegedly listed as "Playing with moogles" I reckon this was intentional.

Also don't forget Chupon being summoned under the name "Typhoon" in FF7 and "Typhon" in the Unlimited anime.

Speculation also abounds about Paine's FFX-2 line about "garden variety fiends", which I'm skeptical about, but if it was intentional then of course it references classic Ultros dialogue.

Incidentally, I believe Espers were called "Genjuu" in the Japanese version, which would indeed mean "Phantom Beast".

Locke, Terra, Edgar, Umaro and Mog appear as audience members in an old SNES RPG, but I can't for the life of me remember which.

Cait Sith's origins lie in FF6, in the form of a black cat anyway. Cait Sith did however appear in four as a Couerl pallette swap.

Terra's transformation command was originally called "Trance" (corrected in the GBA version), which later shows up as the crappy Limit Break system in FF9.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 08-06-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Cait Sith's origins lie in FF6, in the form of a black cat anyway.
    The esper Stray.
    Figaro Castle

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi

Locke, Terra, Edgar, Umaro and Mog appear as audience members in an old SNES RPG, but I can't for the life of me remember which.
    Was it Secret of Evermore?

Oh, I just remembered! In FFVII, just after you buy a flower off Aeris, the next screen (well, the one where electricity keeps randomly zapping across the top) has a huge billboard on the right hand side. In faint lettering it says "Mt. Kolts", where you meet Sabin.

Blog Entries

Default nice

doomgaze = FFVI
    deathgaze = FFXII

both are found by airship.

Edit: Terra - Girl in FFVI
    Terra - boy in FFXII in giza plains (during the dry)

I'll keep on editing
    Last edited by Saber; 08-14-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chocobo Racing (an astounding FF spin off) has some FFVI refrences (actually it refrences most of the FFs)

1. "Magicite" is an important aspect of the game's story.
    2. The "Theme Music" for the character Mog is a remake of the Moogle music.
    3. The final track in Story Mode "Fantsia" is also known as the "Land of Espers"
    4. The music that playes when you ffirst go to Fantasia is the title music for FFVI

In fact I think this game follows FFVI more closly than any other FF, and yet the cover of the game says "From the makers of Final Fantasy VIII. PS I love Chocobo Racing!

Speaking of it, has there ever been "Magicite" before VI? If not then Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicals has some 'splainin' to do.

Seriously though, it's first thing I thought of when I saw the word "Magicite".
    Look, I'm a strange person. When I was younger, nothing used to make me laugh any harder then when somebody made fun of me. Unfortunatly for me, my mockers looked at me strangely and stopped when I did this. Go figure.

not that drug dealer CelestialStarDust's Avatar

Celes's ridiculous fish game is slighty playable in kingdom hearts,where you have to get fish for kairi.

Catapultam habeo.Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Kefka's laugh in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII to me would be the obvious ones.

Blog Entries

I think Vivi's real english name is meant to be 66.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I think Vivi's real english name is meant to be 66.
    lol, good one, but no, Vivis name is suposedly latin for life.