So I've been rewatching The Wire, and marveling anew at how amazing this show is. It is one of the best shows ever made. Anyone who has not seen it must immediately go watch it. Now. Do it. I'll wait. (not really)

It's a crime show set in Baltimore, Maryland, but it's not a typical cop show. Instead, it's a gritty, realistic look at a city's underbelly and how royally smurfed up everything is. I briefly considered posting this thread in EoEO, as The Wire's blistering social and political commentary are second-to-none. It is an unapologetic attack on, among other things, the drug war, police department administration, and local politics.

It's not just social commentary, either. The writing is top-notch, on par with such great shows as The Sopranos, with complex plots weaved together over an entire series. And always real -- there are no happy endings, just some good things and some bad things, while generally trout stays the same (which is really the ultimate message of the show).

I stumbled across this article, where a UK news agency claims The Wire is the best show ever made. I can't disagree.

I mean, what other show has a gay, mass-murdering thief who only kills and steals from drug dealers?

So for those who haven't seen The Wire, go watch it. For those who have, discuss The Wire. Who's your second favorite character? I ask for seconds, because Omar is obviously everyone's favorite (even Obama's!). Favorite scene? I was always particularly fond of Omar testifying in court, but my Criminal Procedure professor showed us this hilarious scene in class (the funniest part starts at about 1:50).