I never really liked XII's party. I liked Ashe and I liked Balthier but the group as a whole felt like they were a whole lot of nothing. Most of them don't do anything and quite frankly, I think the Archadians get more development than any of them save Ashe. XII had such a developed cast of antagonists that the protagonists looked lame by comparison.

Also I just realized another reason I think the FFXII party comes off as weak compared to others. Watching an FFX LP made me think of this.

In FFX, X-2 and XIII, the characters talk in battle. They have a lot of standard lines of course but they even have special dialogue for certain other characters. Examples would be how Snow is looking out for Hope, Vanille looking out for Sazh, special lines for bosses when you Paradigm Shift like Lightning's "BARTHANDELUS!", etc. Then back in X there was a lot of special dialogue for story parts, like Yuna making a little sad and confused sound when she's thinking of marrying Seymour, Tidus telling Auron "don't break any bones, old man" to which Auron "hmphs" and this would be just after Auron joins the party, and so-on. And in X-2, YRP had all sorts of fun together. "GIVE ME A Y!" "GIVE ME AN R!" "give me a break"

There's none of this in XII. Not a peep. Even when characters die, the most you get is a groan or a "no...." from the character dying. No one else cares. Nothing that happens make them care. There's like 3 or 4 times when there's dialogue between characters in battle in the game and they're all at the end, with Gabranth and Cid and Vayne. There's nothing actually between your characters.

It just makes them feel so much more hollow compared to the other voiced parties in my view.