I remember that I saw a preview of it in a game magazine as a kid, and it looked really cool, but ended up being a casualty of the budgetary constraints that RPG's of the time were subject to (that is, nobody wanted to spend the money to properly translate even the more popular titles, much less such a text-heavy monster as ToP). I was mildly disappointed, but then, years later, with the advent of fan translation, I finally got the chance to sit down with it. As I understand it, the more lurid bits were a bit of artistic license by the fan translators, I guess it was the style at the time.

But it really was an ambitious bit of storytelling for its time. Without spoiling too much, it is one of those "we chased the villain into a time warp and now we're stuck here" kind of stories at first, but it gets pretty convoluted by the end. And remember, this would have been right before Chrono Trigger came out, too, so time travelling in video games was kind of a new thing. Storytelling in games had not left the excuse "save the princess" plots behind for long, at that point.

If I understand correctly, the producer of ToP now works with a Square-Enix affiliated studio. I wonder if Cless and Co. will see any action in the near future?