I've been seeing a few lists like this here and there and was wondering how these last ten years have treated us? While I was looking back at the games I had played it was surprising to see some of them pop up as it felt as if they were older than they were. When compiling my list I also chose not to include remakes, ports, or compilations. Some of them I have played I didn't in the year they came out, too.

2010 - Final Fantasy XIII

An unpopular entry in the series, but I had a blast with it. I was super hyped for it leading up to release and I thought it was a fun story with an interesting combat system and a gorgeous world supported by a pretty nice soundtrack. I was also really happy that it was a multi-platform title as I only had an Xbox 360 at the time and would have had to wait a couple more year before I had a PS3.

Honorable Mentions: Dead Rising 2, Red Dead Redemption

2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Yet another unpopular game in a popular series that I loved. I was pleasantly surprised that the controls were actually solid and I this the story and gameplay was very solid. Fantastic soundtrack as usual for Zelda. Of course the hand holding was a severe issue and this was the game in which that peaked. The Zelda games to follow would finally step away from this.

Honorable Mentions: Sonic Generations (PS3 & 3DS), Portal 2, Assassin's Creed Revelations

2012 - Bravely Default

This is a weird one to select because I still have yet to actually finish it, but I did have the most fun with it than any other that year. It has an amazing job system that is so much fun to tinker with and a lovable cast of characters. With news of a sequel in the works I should finally finish this up.

Honorable Mentions: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Final Fantasy XIII-2, The Last Story, New Super Mario Bros. U

2013 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

After the linear progression of Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds almost literally returning to the series' roots was a breath of fresh air. After the first dungeon the world was open to explore and conquer as you saw fit. A sequel to A Link to the Past, it had great new dungeons, characters, story, and "Dark World." Once again, great music. The added Hero Mode added to the challenge as well.

Honorable Mentions: LEGO City Undercover, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Guacamelee!, Sonic Lost World (Wii U)

2014 - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

FFXIII-2 didn't really do it for me that much, but this final game in the trilogy brought me right back. It helps that I'm a fan of apocalyptic settings as well as global time limits (like Majora's Mask and Dead Rising). It's essentially open world playing as lightning again with gameplay that seemed to be a cross between job systems and paradigm shifts. It was a lot of fun racing the clock to fight monster to literal extinction and interact with characters to see how they're handling the end of the world.

Honorable Mentions: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Infamous: Second Son, South Park: The Stick of Truth

2015 - Super Mario Maker

This was kind of a slow year for me. Not a ton came out that was a must have. SMM is what I played the most and I had a blast. It was also the last game I got to play with my P2 Rascal sitting on my lap. It made such an impression on me that I didn't hesitate to get the sequel this year.

Honorable Mentions: Transformers Devastation, Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash

2016 - Final Fantasy XV

I wasn't super hyped about going into this one, but it won me over very quickly. A road trip fighting monsters with my bros is the epitome of a good time for me. While it may not be one of the most memorable ones I think it had some fantastic scenarios and an amazing ending.

Honorable Mention: LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens

2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game of the year and game of the decade for me. There was so much hype going into this and I had a BLAST! Hundreds of hours finding all the Koroks, clearing all the shrines, collecting all the weapons and armor, and just having fun tooling around. Someday I will have to play a master mode file.

Honorable Mentions: Sonic Mania, Horizon Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee

2018 - Sider-Man

A great year for games in 2017 followed by a slow one for me in 2018. Spider-Man is another one I still haven't finished, but has been so much fun so far. I was worried that memories about Spider-Man 2 would harm my enjoyment with this game, but those worries were unfounded. While the web slinging may not be as great, the combat is much improved. The various costumes and abilities are a great addition and the J. Jonah Jameson podcasts do justice to his character.

Honorable Mention: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

2019 - Dragon Quest Builders 2

I think this was easier than the first, but ultimately more polished. Like how the first was a "spinoff" to the first one, this is a "spinoff" to the second. After Hargon is defeated his followers gradually take of the world in an effort to plunge it into destruction. You have to rebuild it. I just like the easy going foraging and crafting in this game and building big blueprints.

Honorable Mentions: Kingdom Hearts III, Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2