This thread is about the ending of Final Fantasy VII Remake, which sees our esteemed party leaving Midgar for further adventures in the wider world. I apparently need to put even more text here to make sure that the thread preview doesn't show what I've put under my spoiler tag. I didn't expect it to show so much. I hope edits work as I think they do.

(SPOILER)yoooo what the smurf. did they just throw out the script and decide to legitimately remake this game? It's really interesting that they featured Zack so much, which leaves me a bit confused. Like, I can understand them killing the chains of destiny and changing the future, but... surely Zack is already dead in the FF7R timeline? Or are we legitimately just in a whole new parallel universe and Zack is just mysteriously absent for otherwise unknown reasons thus far? About half-way through playing FF7R I was thinking "oh, I won't be shocked if they never do a follow up to this because this style of game wouldn't translate at all to the kind of content post-Midgar" and, well, I guess Square Enix thought the same thing and decided to say smurf it. I'm actually quite interested to see what 20+ years of design (and world events, tbh) will do to change the way FF7R develops.