Going through other games I've owned for awhile and never played/finished I decided to keep the SE love going and jump into WoFF. I played the demo ages ago before it released but never got around to picking up the game cause FFXV was a higher priority. I am not terribly far, I just met the Big 3 Summons and fought Ramuh.

Pros:
  • It's really cute, I like the Chibi sprites better than the Jiant models to be honest.
  • I was amused that I recognized Cornelia by its music before I realized it was the place.
  • The stacking mechanics are still weird, but I like the whole concept of party development it gives.
  • I like the banter of the core cast for the most part.
  • For a game that was developed for the Vita first, this game has way better production values than the Mana remakes and it honestly makes Type-0 look more dated and obvious it was originally a PSP port.
  • I'm loving me some ATB combat. I've been playing so many Action-RPGs or old school Turn Based that it was nice to play something a bit closer to the FFs I grew up with.
  • This game is surprisingly more challenging than it lets on. Enemies hit pretty hard and we've got a bit of the old school monster horde issue where it is very easy to get overwhelmed.
  • I love the fact the Character guide actually tells you where characters first appeared within the series including some of the summons and monsters.
  • Princess Sarah was pretty amusing, especially as she tried to make sense of Lann's nonsense.

Cons:
  • While the banter is amusing, Lann's idiocy is likely going to grow thin with me very shortly...
  • I really hate Reynn's 3D Character model it just looks really off. Most of the non-chibi models look a bit off to be honest. They looked fine in the anime opening but weird in actual 3D.
  • The writing has a bit too much of a heavy anime/Kingdom Hearts vibe for my taste. I almost feel like it may have started its life as one before the execs told them to make it into a game.
  • The battle command shortcut menu feels a bit off and more cumbersome than useful. I've largely stuck to just using the regular menu system.
  • It is so weird how the core gameplay is actually pretty challenging and yet the game is also obviously made for a new player to RPGs as it has a pretty intrusive help system. It may just be me coming off a SaGa game which offers absolutely no help in understanding the mechanics, but it's kind of jarring how much the game stops you to explain every gameplay detail.