The other day I was thoroughly exhausted. I don't remember the circumstance, but this song appeared in my feed.

For some reason, it was like I had heard it in a different light. Some combination of being tired and sad made this song I've known for 20+ years sound like I was listening to it for the first time again. A wave of emotions hit me.

The effect of the song changes over the course of the game. Initially it represents the tranquility of the church and its flowers in an otherwise shambled Midgar, but after huge events in the game happen and you find yourself coming back to the church, it reminds you of your time spent with Aerith.

All this got me to thinking about how hearing a song changes in your own life, as well. When you're a kid playing Final Fantasy VII, you enjoy it in the game, maybe you associate it with something in your life at the time. But when you get older, in addition to all that, you also have the 20 years of memories and nostalgia that gets funneled into your enjoyment of the song.

I guess I just appreciate it more as time goes on.