Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF2: Is it worth playing?

Default FF2: Is it worth playing?

I just finished playing DoS:FF1 and now I started FF2. Within just the first ten minutes of gameplay, I'm not very impressed. I don't like the individual skill leveling up and I'm getting annoyed with how I miss half of all the attacks I make. Still, I don't want to quit now when it could potentially pick up and be a really fun game. But, I also don't want to waste my time playing a bad game.

So my question to you is, did you enjoy playing FF2? Or is it really, as so many people say, the worst game in the series?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I personally enjoyed the game very much. The first time I played through on a rom and it wasn't too great for me. Then later on I played through the playstation version and was very entertained. The leveling system can work to your advantage if you decide early on how to flesh out your characters and know how to pull your strings.

Ity's worth it. I'm enjoying FF2 so far on DOS.

I played a little but more and I'll admit, the game starts to pick up once you get Minwu (and you don't miss your attacks half the freaking time!). I'd still like to hear what everyone else thinks of the game.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I like the game a lot, but I'm of the minority opinion on this. A lot of people hate the stat growth system and whine about how much they hate the story. Personally, I think it's great that Square actually made a game that encourages massochism.

The thing about the stat growth system is that you need to know how to work it and choose your moves in battle carefully. I've written extensive thesies on this very subject so I'm just going to say take note of which actions make which stats increase and decrease, and plan your strategies based on that. This game is the ultimate example of "you can't have your cake and eat it too". If you try to give everyone every spell and make them good at everything, you'll get taken down in no time flat.

Its alright... I'm on the part where I just got Leila and I'm in the cave with all of the Hill Gigas' that kick my ass. (Origins Version)
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For a quick rundown of what raises what check out the frontsite.

Final Fantasy 2 is one of the best in the series, I'd say. I disliked the first one, but he awsome leveling system saved this game. The story isn't bad either.

Basically, attack yourself until you're in the red, and you're HP'll lvel up. the system is very fun (and different) and I'd love other series to use this system.

Since I got Dawn of Souls I enjoyed FFII more then ever. I also got the Playstation-version, but there the leveling up is more annoying especially the magic. But for the storyline and the rest I think you should do it. It's really a great game.

Moogle:
    1. Catlike creature. Has a large red ball on it's head attached by a long hair. Some can fly. Some can fight. Some are lazy bastards. All say Kupo (or Puu)

Yeah, I'm loving this game so far, although it's getting really hard now that I'm in the Dreadnought.

I can't believe that (SPOILER)Josef died! He was by far my strongest fighter. I knew he was only going to be a temporary character but I thought I would of had him a little longer than that. To make matters worse, he gets replaced by Gordon of all people.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)Be prepared for many people to die.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

FF2 has the highest playable character death toll. And it is one of the best FFs ever. Keep playing, and dont stop til you're finished. Then do the add-on for DoS, and tell me how good it is so I can fume some more.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I must be missing somthin I am at that battale ship and im iththe middle of nowhere to get to the chocobo forest and I cant take 1 step without going into I fight I CANT WIN....and also Gordon 'caused me to get pissed off...FLUCK GORDON HE SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I have the pass so I dont need to fight that guy *sniff* I HATE YOU GORDON WEN I FIND YOU I SHALL BURN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Muhahahahahahaha.....come with me to hell!!!!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

If you're getting beat up that much it means you haven't been levelling up your characters. Fight some easier battles and selectively level up specific stats for specific characters.

i hated dos ff2 they should have had the original 2 with cecil instead