Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dear God - the Revolution's official name.

Default Dear God - the Revolution's official name.

Seriously, I never thought that something as insignificant as a name could cause a console to bomb, but I'm sure that in Western countries it could be the case with the Revolution.

It's been called the 'Wii', pronounced 'wee'. No, I'm not kidding either. I really don't think I can buy any product with such a ridiculous name. I could just picture the situation now: "What did you get for Christmas?" "I got a wee." Dear God no...

Topic: Did hearing about the new Revolution name make you wince? Do you think such a ridiculous name could possibly give you doubts about buying it? Are you going to buy a 'Wii'?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Source?
    Figaro Castle

With the twisted Humour of us americans, people will by it so the could honestly say, "I got a wii," I know I would.

Good source: http://forums.modojo.com/showthread.php?t=139067&page=1

Also, check http://revolution.nintendo.com. The site claims the name is used as 'we', but it still sounds mighty lame!

PSP IZ DA DAWGZ!!!!!!! Cid Vicious's Avatar

I don't care what it's called. As long as the games are good, i'll buy it.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal
    Figaro Castle

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's what I think about Nintendo Wii. Yes, I think it's stupid, and I'm sure Nintendo knows that a lot of backlash will happen. However, stop and think about it. Nintendo Wii, it's a rather short and simple name, not something "complicated", or including unnecessary numbers in a name such as Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft XBox 360. It's so simple, that there is no need for abbreviating the name, as it's Wii. Wii is Wii, a one syllable name. Not a multiple syllable name like PlaySation3 and Xbox 360. Just one syllable. Nintendo is making an attempt to reach out to non-gamers with the Wii. As ridiculous as the name may be, it makes a whole lot of sense.

I have read on several fansites that most of them don't like the name, but it's something that we will get used to by the time E3 comes around, and I think it's a smart move by the Big N to announce the name early, so it won't be the main point of discussion of E3 if it was announced in E3.

And for the record, I support the name Nintendo Wii.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal
    I agree

I hope it isn't too expensive and has some new Zelda games.

Only a moron would base a purchase of a product on said product's name, rather than the quality of the product. It's a given, however, that there are alot of morons in the world.

With that said, if amuses me that a product called "Wii" has a controller that looks like a sex toy. COMPLETE WITH RUMBLE PACK!!!
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

I still like the sound of Nintendo Revolution better

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Rain
    Only a moron would base a purchase of a product on said product's name, rather than the quality of the product. It's a given, however, that there are alot of morons in the world.
    But when the first thing people hear about it is 'wee', what's their impression going to be? I doubt people are terribly willing to spend significant sums of money on something they can't take seriously. Especially when everyone knows what the PS3 and XBox 360 are, my grandma knows what a Playstation is for heaven's sake. I'd be embarressed to even mention 'Wii' to her because she wouldn't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by proto
    Here's what I think about Nintendo Wii. Yes, I think it's stupid, and I'm sure Nintendo knows that a lot of backlash will happen. However, stop and think about it. Nintendo Wii, it's a rather short and simple name, not something "complicated", or including unnecessary numbers in a name such as Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft XBox 360. It's so simple, that there is no need for abbreviating the name, as it's Wii. Wii is Wii, a one syllable name. Not a multiple syllable name like PlaySation3 and Xbox 360. Just one syllable. Nintendo is making an attempt to reach out to non-gamers with the Wii. As ridiculous as the name may be, it makes a whole lot of sense.
    I don't buy that argument. People are stupid, but I'm not cynical enough to think they're that stupid. Besides which, nobody cares much about saying "PS3" or "360", it's hardly an olympiad of enunciation. I think non-gamers will be even less patient with it, because they'll take one look and say "Haha wee!", whilst people who've been into games for awhile will say "Haha wee! But oooh, new Metroid/Zelda/Mario. And look what they've done with the controller, they were right, this does actually have something going for it."

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not saying you should buy what I'm saying. And many people outside of the Internet are really not that immature. Saying you're not going to buy Wii simply because of the name is kind of dumb. The name doesn't make the system, it's the games that do, and I'm pretty positive that the games will change people's low opinion of the name.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

This kind of [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] would fly in asian because they just don't know any better. In North America and Europe...this will look so stupid. Gamecube was a wierd name at first but it worked. Revolution may be a bit too much and make nintendo look conceited but it is at least a cool name. Stuff like this matters a lot.

Also you should have posted the thread from Modojo's War Room. That is always some good funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    This kind of [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] would fly in asian because they just don't know any better. In North America and Europe...this will look so stupid. Gamecube was a weird name at first but it worked. Revolution may be a bit too much and make nintendo look conceited but it is at least a cool name. Stuff like this matters a lot.

Also you should have posted the thread from Modojo's War Room. That is always some good funny stuff.

Asians don't know any better? hmmm how DEVINE are we?