Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rinoa is Ultemicia

Ultimecia is Selphie, fact. Theres no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Quote Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bahamut View Post
    Not making any mention of the idea that R=U in the entire Ultimania amounts to Square saying that it ain't true. That's just common sense.
    Still not convinced when I read the guide last time. If they have definitely nailed R=U, there will be much less FF8 theories now.

Honestly, if it wasn't common sense, we all WOULD have known who actually started the idea of R=U.
    I personally like to think that Square themselves did it, just to give us something to talk about.
    Yep, do you know how many player have thought of some connection when they have played Final Fantasy VIII for the first time back then? That's why nobody knows who initially started the idea of R=U due to the open-interpretation design and that's why Square doesn't want to spoil us (for example, not showing the whole world more details about the plot). The Ultimania Guide is merely an art book consisting of in-depth explanations about the FF8 magic, it's history, sorceresses, interviewers' talks and other misc stuff, that's all.

Thats just speculations, you cant say something like that and claim its proof.
    Well that is what is said in the game, unlike the other so-called 'proof' I've seen in this thread, i.e. Squall somehow 'dying' or Rinoa living to 300 or being sealed in space after the end of the game. THAT is speculation. None of it is ever implied. Exorcising the sorceress power is clearly stated as an option in the game. Yes, Rinoa doing that IS speculation, but it is a far more believable theory than the living forever and losing all her friends going mad etc. because she somehow can't free herself of the sorceress power (which is untrue because she COULD free herself of it, and she would want to, I think, because Rinoa wasn't happy about being a sorceress. This is SAID SO in the game.)

Of course its speculations, thats why its called a "theory"
    No one has ever claimed it to be proof, they have said it backs up the theory.

Thread stater: It's Ultimecia.

Also, these threads are fun to read.

Edit: Fun to read, but exhausting for those who speculate this interesting topic of R=U vs. R=/=U.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    <-- Take it from my little friend to the left.
    Do not lose your braincells!

Ultimecia is in fact Aeris who came through to the world of Final Fantasy VIII after she was
    (SPOILER)killed by Sephiroth - don't tell anyone though

She wants to compress time so she can be a God like Sephiroth and battle him, because it would be fun.

And it is implied in the game because in VII, her Japanese name is transalated as Aerith, while in the English game it is Aeris, just like Ultimecia's Japanese translation is Arutimishia, but in the English game she's called Ultimecia.

This therefore completely disproves that R=U.

I can disprove what you said, as well.
    How the flip can one character in one FF "dimension" to the other?
    Most of the games are not connected, they just have a few re-occurances. Like Chocobos, and most of the magic.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    <-- Take it from my little friend to the left.
    Do not lose your braincells!

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomZOMBIE View Post
    I can disprove what you said, as well.
    How the flip can one character in one FF "dimension" to the other?
    Cid does it from game to game. There is in fact only one Cid, and every time he jumps from game to game he changes slightly. And he doesn't age either. It's all in this obscure website I'm not going to cite.

P.S. I'm not being serious. Just pretending to be.
    Last edited by champagne supernova; 07-22-2008 at 07:53 PM.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

where oh where is my dear kishi to do things to this thread

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's okay to discuss theories of R = U or R != U, but when people start claiming they have concrete proof that proves they have it all figured out is when it gets tiring. If there was proof that was that good, there still wouldn't be debates about this topic.
    Figaro Castle

Yep, do you know how many player have thought of some connection when they have played Final Fantasy VIII for the first time back then? That's why nobody knows who initially started the idea of R=U due to the open-interpretation design and that's why Square doesn't want to spoil us (for example, not showing the whole world more details about the plot). The Ultimania Guide is merely an art book consisting of in-depth explanations about the FF8 magic, it's history, sorceresses, interviewers' talks and other misc stuff, that's all.
    Actually, in my experience very few actually thought of R=U just after playing the game. Many are confused at Griever's appearance in the final battle, but rarely do they make the leap to R=U. Whenever I've seen new people claim to have thought of it themselves it's been blatantly obvious they were copying stuff they read on other websites.

But anyway, that's moot. I don't see how you can dismiss the Ultimania calling it "merely" a book consisting of in-depth explanations on many plot points, when that's entirely relevant to R=U. In addition, the Ultimania actually does give clear allusions to Ultimecia's background, so clearly one point of the guide was to help clarify Ultimecia's motives. And well, those allusions aren't towards R=U in the slightest.

In fact, not only does the Ultimania not mention the theory at all and rather allude to another idea, they actually also provide a crushing argument against the theory (the human lifespan fact). When you take into account that the game itself backs up very firmly what the Ultimania alludes to in a natural way (i.e. through all of Ultimecia's dialogue), R=U has only got a collection of vague hints, all of which can be interpreted naturally in other ways, none of which are remotely strong enough to make the theory plausible.

Put all that together and I think it's pretty clear that in the end, Square didn't intend R=U. At best they were considering it and one point but decided to drop it, leaving a couple of the vaguer hints. But let's face it; Final Fantasy is, besides FF7, not known for villains hidden in as much obscurity as R=U requires. And for FF7, they explained most of the details in the FF7 Ultimania anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    where oh where is my dear kishi to do things to this thread

Agree'd. Not only that, but I want to buy the FF8 Ultimania for Kishi to translate for us and smash this theory once and for all.

OBI WAN KISHI YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!

The parts of the Ultimania relevant to R=U have already been translated you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bahamut View Post
    The parts of the Ultimania relevant to R=U have already been translated you know...
    Oh really? I've been trying to search for it but I've yet to be able to find it.

Especially since there are many R=U theorists who say that the info against R=U doesn't exist in the Ultimania and that since no one links it there is no proof against it.

I have definitive proof that R = U! Look and weep, bitches!

*pelvic thrust*