Thread: Musicals

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Musicals

One of my Christmas school break traditions when I was younger was to watch all the movies that they'd show on the television. Mum and I especially loved the old musicals that would be on!

Some of my favourite musicals get shown like every year around Christmas! Bugsy Malone, There's No Business Like Show Business, Gentleman Prefer Blondes, Gypsy, and Calamity Jane. I definitely like the musicals that are have lots of burlesque themes in them - which is why I love Gypsy and Calamity Jane! The costumes!!!!

Yes, they're dated and pretty sexist but I love them. Amazing. I'm really not a fan of Sound of Music though, urgh.

For god's sake who can resist mini Jodie Foster!

I might have to grab all of these and have a big binge watch some day soon!

What are some of your favourite musicals?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I don't like musicals. (Don't worry, though, I'm not here to trout on the thread)

There are a few exceptions though. Wizard of Oz and My Fair Lady specifically. My mom and grandma love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, so I saw that many times growing up, and I don't hate it. I like a couple of the songs from The Sound of Music. Oh, and Mary Poppins.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm not a huge musical guy. I do like Parker & Stone's musicals, especially South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. I saw Book of Mormon a couple of years back & it was alright. Cannibal: the Musical is highly underrated.

My mom talks about Bugsy Malone every once in a while, mostly lamenting on the fact they never show it here, nor is it available on DVD.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

At this very moment I am writing out my experience of attending a live Les Mis performance!

I love musicals. They were a regular fixture in my home growing up between my own home and time with my cousins and my grandmother. Brigadoon, Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, West Side Story, Camelot, The King and I, My Fair Lady. More popular ones like The Wizard of Oz and Little Shop of Horrors, Newsies, and Oliver!, The Sound of Music obvsly. Some like Jekyll and Hyde, Aida and Les Mis we never saw, but had the soundtracks in our home and my sisters and I knew all the words to them anyway without having seen them. Lately I've been super fixated on listening to the Aida soundtrack over and over; I can't get enough of it.

I love the dated ones the best. I'm not sure I could ever pick a favorite. And also, I'm not a super huge fan of "modern musicals", but Repo! the Genetic Opera is a super huge guilty pleasure of mine because I know it is bad and horrible but I can't stop loving it ;-; and also I have a thing for terrance zdunich

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    I love you, Shorty

I still need to get MissH to watch this at some point as she'd love it. I also love Oliver! as the soundtrack by Lionel Bart is amazing.

Bugsy Malone is one of my favourites too. It makes me want to learn piano. Paul Williams is a genius.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I really want to see Michael C Hall in the role, but I'm not close enough to see the show.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I gotta go with the classics. The Sound of Music. Fiddler on the Roof. The King and I. Good stuff.

I'm not a fan of musicals, but I love Sweeney Todd and the older Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sweeney Todd. The stage production, not the movie. The movie was okay, but the stage production with what's his face as Sweeney Todd was amazing.

If you think you're not a fan of musicals, I recommend you check out Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. Starring Neil Patrick Harris! Nathan Fillion! Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and director of The Avengers!

I like musicals a lot. Not so much film musicals for the most part (Disney notwithstanding), but stage shows. I recently, finally went to go and see Wicked, which was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen. I'm going to go see The Book of Mormon and Matilda this year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Sweeney Todd. The stage production, not the movie. The movie was okay, but the stage production with what's his face as Sweeney Todd was amazing.
    I like the stage version, too. George Hearne is the Sweeney in the 1982 stage release. I like how it's generally brighter and plays out more like a dark comedy. But I also like the moodier film version, too. They're so different, yet the same. I kinda like that.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I love musicals. I actually love Rock of ages for the soundtrack haha. I need to see into the woods as well.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If you think you're not a fan of musicals, I recommend you check out Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. Starring Neil Patrick Harris! Nathan Fillion! Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and director of The Avengers!

I like musicals a lot. Not so much film musicals for the most part (Disney notwithstanding), but stage shows. I recently, finally went to go and see Wicked, which was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen. I'm going to go see The Book of Mormon and Matilda this year as well.
    God damn right, Doctor Horrible is amazing.

I saw Book of Mormon (I assume you're going in London) for my birthday this year and it was a thing of smurfing beauty. Absolutely had me crying.

Also I think most of EoFF knows how much in love I am with Les Mis.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Psycho, in The Book of Mormon, do you think the 2nd Act was much better than the first?

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Once musical did the movie justice.