Thread: "Thanks, Rosa."

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Default "Thanks, Rosa."

Are there any worse things you can say to your wife after having been in labour for half a day with your firstborn? God damnit Cecil what the smurf is wrong with you?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is that a line from the Interlude? It sounds like it. Good God, the less saidabout that, the better.

If it's from the After Years, well, that game doesn't exactly have stellar writing either but at least its fun

Articles

After Years, Rydia's Tale. As far as writing goes, I take issue with everything Mysterious Girl the Maryest of all Sues does and I also dislike stuffing the party full of generics with zero personality, but the main characters are typically handled well enough. This line is made even more jarring because both Rydia and Cid had just delivered some heartfelt congratulations in nice ways that reflected their personalities, yet Cecil just throws up a "thank you".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think this instance may actually just be a Japanes thing, not a bad writing thing

Articles

You mean like the Tidus/Yuna "I love you"/"Thank you" mix up? I don't really see it - I think the localisation of the script is really good and uses some English figures of speech that I can't imagine working well in Japanese.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    After Years, Rydia's Tale. As far as writing goes, I take issue with everything Mysterious Girl the Maryest of all Sues does and I also dislike stuffing the party full of generics with zero personality, but the main characters are typically handled well enough. This line is made even more jarring because both Rydia and Cid had just delivered some heartfelt congratulations in nice ways that reflected their personalities, yet Cecil just throws up a "thank you".
    I'm willing to look past the Mysterious Girl only because that battle music is absolutely chilling and I love it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, maybe it's normal to say "thank you" in that context in Japanese? Who knows? I sure don't

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Are there any worse things you can say to your wife after having been in labour for half a day with your firstborn? God damnit Cecil what the smurf is wrong with you?
    *checks watch* Well I guess that was an adequate time, but you'll need to work on improving it the next time around. Now stop lying around in that bed holding our child and fetch me some dinner. ~ Cecil Harvey

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cecil "my-father-figure-sent-me-to-commit-genocide" Harvey: Parenthood, huh? Well that's uh... huh... Thanks Rosa...
    Returners Represent!