Page 1 of 30 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of a Fansite - An EoFF RPG

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

ichigo Death of a Fansite - An EoFF RPG

Death of a Fansite is a silly little classic JRPG based on Eyes on Final Fantasy. The game is set in a world where Loony BoB has died and Eyes on Final Fantasy has fallen, the game stars a cast of over 80 EoFF members past and present as our heroes attempt to both restore EoFF as well as understand the reasons for its decline.

During its 3-5 hours of playtime, the game features some tricky and challenging boss fights that I hope will cause you to see the Game Over screen a few times, but will also give you a sense of satisfaction when you overcome them. All of this is to a soundtrack of nostalgic songs from FF titles and other JRPGs, as well as some original songs created by EoFF members.

Death of a Fansite is also packed to the brim with EoFF references and injokes, as well as some dorky and goofy humour. I hope that the average EoFF member will get the odd chuckle here and there, but a fair warning to those with a low tolerance for cringe - it's an RPG Maker game based on a Final Fantasy website. You get what you expect!

If you have played the superb Final Fantasy Record Keeper, you will feel very at home in this game as the battle system was originally an attempt at recreating RK's. I have translated a lot of the mobile and F2P elements into a more familiar and accessible environment.

Click here! (Dropbox, 316 MB)

(The above version is fully patched but if you got the game before the 22nd June here's Patch 1 and before 23rd of June here's Patch 2 and here's Patch 3.)

Mac OS-X version released, download it here. I can't test it myself, but this thread has some good troubleshooting tips.

. To play, simply open the .rar file (something like WinRAR or 7zip will be needed), extract the files, and then run the Game.exe file in the Death of a Fansite folder. System Requirements are here.

The most important thing I can possibly tell you: F4 = full screen mode. Oh, and have a look at the options if the music or sound effects destroy your ears. RPG Maker likes to make things LOUD.

Controller (recommended!)
    Joystick moves, X/A confirm and interact, O/B cancel, Triangle/Y menu, and Square/X dashes. Shoulder buttons scroll through characters.
    There is a glitch whereby the controller commands don't work at the start. Just hit an arrow key on your keyboard and then the controller will work perfectly. No idea what causes it and indeed it may only be on my laptop! Easily fixed though.

Keyboard
    Fairly standard, although sadly no WASD. Arrow keys will move, Enter/Z confirm and interact, ESC/X cancels as well as opens up the menu, Shift is dash. Pg Up and Pg Dn scroll through characters.

Mouse
    Click on menu items, click on where you want to go, and click on anything you want to interact with. Right clicking will bring up the menu and cancel.

• You may find it useful to have this image to hand at first as a quick reference guide

It's not exhaustive though!
    • You will need to tailor your set up to each battle accordingly, as you can only use two abilities per battle with each character.
    • Don't go for all out damage! Damage mitigation is really important! Buff your characters with some white magic and use someone like Formalhaut or Scruffington to debuff the enemy.
    • Keep your equipment up to date. My advice is to use the random lucky boxes through sharky and Levian first, and only then stopping by the weapons stores if you have a specific gap in your coverage.
    • The Limit Start shard is expensive for a reason. It's bloody good, especially on Fynn or Bubba.
    • There are five optional bosses (mostly hidden in the giant desert outside). Beat them all to get a secret post-credits ending!

I'm a one man band, with a little help from my friends. I know there will be bugs and spelling errors I haven't spotted. Please PM me and let me know right away!

Enemy gets two turns bug?There is a slight issue with the turn counter in the top right of the battle screen. An enemy may suddenly have a second turn right after its first without you expecting it. The reason is the turn counter only shows one turn per battle participant at a time. After each participant has a turn, its position in the existing queue for its next turn is then recalculated. The system may decide its next turn should be right after this one and it'll move again.

This isn't a bug, the enemy is meant to have two turns at that point. As there are five of you and usually (not always!) one of them, they have a much higher speed than you to compensate. In my ideal version of this, the turn counter would be like FFX's, and show all the next moves instead of showing one per participant at a time. Unfortunately it's an external plugin and there's not much control I have over it, so I am sorry that I can't deliver the better system I have in mind. Just remember that when an enemy has a turn coming up, it may have another one right afterwards too and plan accordingly.

I hope you enjoy my silly hobby, and please feel free to share your experiences as you play through the game in this thread!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh man! I'll try this when I get home! YAY!

Blog Entries

Congrats to all the winners

there was a picture here

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Congrats to all the winners
    grave.png

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

way to spoil the final scene ^

Downloading now!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    way to spoil the final scene ^
    My b

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    Downloading now!
    Excellent, let me know if it works and I hope you enjoy it!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Darn. Cant use on phone yet. Lol well ill try it as soon as ever possible

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Don't you have a PC or a laptop you could use, Galuf?
    Nah havent had one in a while. Lol.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, the beginning really reminds me of Final Fantasy Legend I so far