View Poll Results: Should Games go back to cartridges?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 20.83%
  • no

19 79.17%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: >> Should Games go back to cartridges?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Default >> Should Games go back to cartridges?

>>> Lets debate about this, I know cartridges are more expensive but those also have various advantages, and it looks like blu-ray are not totally scratch proof..
    BTW, I stole this interesting topic from another place..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I don't know, I suppose it would be more convenient with cartridges, but I lolled at this exchange in that thread:

How about hell no!!! Cartridges are so fragile! Along with disc.. But if you drop a disc off a building it may just float down. Drop a cartridge off a building and its going down like a stone!
    ...wtf are you doing dropping games off a building

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, we should never go back to cartridges. The storage space/dollar cost just isn't high enough, assuming cartridges can even hold the equivalent of a DVD let alone a Blu-Ray without becoming too physically large to be convenient.

And load times aren't as much of an issue these days. Discs read faster these days, most titles hide it well, and they can be minimized with a hard drive install.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    assuming cartridges can even hold the equivalent of a DVD let alone a Blu-Ray without becoming too physically large to be convenient.
    we can safely assume that they can, they can hold more than a blu ray.

Kingston 256GB Flash Drive Sold Anywhere but USA

edit: you're probably right about the dollar cost, it will cost more to produce them. The biggest reason to say no to cartridge imo is that it will hinder backward compatibility. new consoles will have new cartridges and then we'll have to hold on to our old consoles if we want to play the old games, playstation 4 cartriges won't play on playstation 5 console for instance. discs are more convenient like that, they're always the same size.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    No, we should never go back to cartridges. The storage space/dollar cost just isn't high enough, assuming cartridges can even hold the equivalent of a DVD let alone a Blu-Ray without becoming too physically large to be convenient.

And load times aren't as much of an issue these days. Discs read faster these days, most titles hide it well, and they can be minimized with a hard drive install.
    I hate hard drive installs.

But I have both a 16GB and 32GB flash drive, I'm sure larger sizes could be used fairly cheaply.

I voted yes because I want retards blowing into their cartridges again when they don't read.

Carts are nice. I liked them and other than cost there's really no major reason not to go back to them, but I don't care either way for two reasons.

1. It's irrelevant. No manufacturer will ever consider going back to carts especially since you can make your gaming devices multi-functional if they accept things the size of a DVD/CD/BR.

2. It's irrelevant again. Within a decade (probably far less) we won't buy physical games any more anyway and the point will be dually moot. Virtually all games and movies will be digitally distributed in the near future.

Blog Entries

Man, I can't be the only person that wants to keep hard copies forever, can I?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I like hard copies as well. I can't say I'm entirely for digital distribution. It's convenient, but it takes some of the fun out of collecting.

Me too. I want hard copies forever. I always buy, always a new copy, and I never sell. I love the way the collection looks on my shelf. I'm just being a buzz killing realist about the fact that hard copies are on their way out.

Banned

DS games are pretty much cartridges.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Me too. I want hard copies forever. I always buy, always a new copy, and I never sell. I love the way the collection looks on my shelf. I'm just being a buzz killing realist about the fact that hard copies are on their way out.
    Ahh, I see. Yeah, I don't like the way things are headed in media in general. I'm not a fan of The Cloud and all that jazz.

I dearly love my collection of video games all the way back to the NES.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Lightening View Post
    playstation 4 cartriges won't play on playstation 5 console for instance.
    >>> And why they would do that?..

and
    1- My biggest issue with cd/dvd/blu-ray is that those things get ruined too easily (money wasted in the end).
    2- There will always be hard copies of everything, the digitally distributed stuff is not for everyone.
    3- Within a decade (probably far less), 50GB flash drives/cards will be ass-cheap too.
    Last edited by black orb; 03-16-2010 at 01:20 AM.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

I voted YES!

But seriously, no. Blu Rays work better than expected for me with games and movies, for reasons I've stated below, but one tiny tidbit:

digital copies of movies are heavily compressed to not be ridiculously huge (which they still are) and lose quality on various fronts, whereas with Blu Ray offers TONS of options and the optimal quality (assuming it could be better, even I don't utilize half of what they're for, but I'd like to hope one day I will).

Quote Originally Posted by Lightening View Post
    we can safely assume that they can, they can hold more than a blu ray.

Kingston 256GB Flash Drive Sold Anywhere but USA
    But there's Blu Rays that are even crazier than that, not to mention they can run on existing blu ray players so you don't have to worry about backwards comatibility. Not so much being angry/serious as saying WOW this is some crazy ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble
    Virtually all games and movies will be digitally distributed in the near future.
    Since you said virtually, I kind of agree with you. Still, games aren't getting any smaller (okay, well some are), they're only getting bigger. Even if broadband providers in the US lifted their download-per-month caps (which is a big barrier to digital distribution), there's no way in hell I'm going to download my 50GB(+ potentially) digital copy of Gran Turismo 5. Not to mention clearing it off when I need extra space and re-downloading when I want to play it again. I think we are nearing the feasible systems for DD to take over games, but it's definitely not happening in the "near" future.

That said, I think some games are getting smaller and there will be new and interesting ways to pay for them. Battlefield 1943 is a great example. I could really see a big-name FPS coming out, which is free to play on 1-3 maps. Then you could pay $5 for 3 maps, $10 for 8 or $20 for the full 16. In addition you could buy the single player for $8 and maybe co-op for $7. There's a lot of microeconomic pay systems out there to choose from, and games have really only stuck to one for the longest time.

Banned

No, no and no. Optical discs pretty much have the advantage over everything else thus far.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate hard drive installs.
    Why? I'm seriously curious. Because aside from taking a few minutes there is no downside I can think of. If it taking a few minutes is actually the issue for you then I recommend practicing patience. The longest install I've seen in the last few years was MGS4 and it was only 12 minutes. If you can't wait 12 minutes then there's something wrong with you.

But I have both a 16GB and 32GB flash drive, I'm sure larger sizes could be used fairly cheaply.
    Leave it to me to completely blank on the existence of flash drives momentarily. Still, flash isn't cheap enough yet to be viable, especially on the manufacturers end since it costs more to make. None of it matters since we will likely see digital distribution inside of ten years for every game, and solid state hard drives so read speed becomes an absolute non-issue (not that it's even one now). At that point, even if physical media is still around (which I fully admit it will be) you'll probably see it install completely on the hard drive anyway.

I voted yes because I want retards blowing into their cartridges again when they don't read.
    Everyone knows you hit the cartridge against your leg to shake the dust out. Blowing in it just gets moisture all over the connectors.

Hard copies don't, and likely never will, last forever. I say bring on digital distribution. I don't have enough space for this crap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    1- My biggest issue with cd/dvd/blu-ray is that those things get ruined too easily (money wasted in the end).
    You have to be pretty careless to ruin any of them, especially Blu-Ray. Put them back in their case when you're done playing them. Otherwise you're just asking for any damage that may happen to them.