Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

I like the flavour text as is.

There's certainly a good argument that it's 'giving away too much' and it may end up being unbalanced as hell, but it kinda adds a layer of a murder mystery RPG to the whole thing. It's like we're being led through an adventure by a DM and there are external clues to find, rather than leaving it purely up to the interactions of the participants. And honestly I think there's good reasons to try it like that as well - I've played plenty of Secret Hitler that just descends into circular arguments, baseless accusations and shouting matches because deducing the truth from player's behaviour alone proves to be too difficult.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Exactly. There's actual clues you need to follow up on and there's stuff you can deduce from, while other elements are more ambiguous to even this out.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've never seen it in a mafia game before - and for the record I've never seen what Scruffington describes either - but I would wait to pass judgment until the game is over. It's fun to experiment and try new things. Give it a go, throw yourself into it wholeheartedly and forget about the meta until it's all over.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Freya I think you've been misunderstanding me and what I look for in a mafia game.

You and I have always been on the same side when it comes to things getting revealed in the flavor texts. They should always only reveal which faction is committing a murder. That's the entire purpose of a death post. If no death occurs, the post just reads "No one died! The next day has begun."

It should always address the killer by their alignment, not their identity or role in the game (i.e. Serial Killer or Mafia). Additionally all investigative actions should not be made public and only communicated to the players performing said actions.

I think in the future it would be a good idea to have a blanket rule that states "Nothing in the Death/Day Posts is necessarily reflective of the characters performing the actions." Or write the posts in a way that doesn't reveal who did what.
    Well,

Karifean added in the identities and flavor text as a new way to play the game. This is his choice on how to play this game and we are all going along with it by accepting to play with him as a game mod. This is a perfectly acceptable way to play the game and it may not be traditional but it is how this game is working. Try to embrace the new way and play it through! Maybe we'll have another game that is more traditional if there's enough people who keep their interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Well,

Karifean added in the identities and flavor text as a new way to play the game. This is his choice on how to play this game and we are all going along with it by accepting to play with him as a game mod. This is a perfectly acceptable way to play the game and it may not be traditional but it is how this game is working. Try to embrace the new way and play it through! Maybe we'll have another game that is more traditional if there's enough people who keep their interest in it.
    Oh I understand that. I think I enjoy the flavor text and the characters in this game.

I was just thinking about what I would like to see in future mafia games.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, stick around. I actually already have an idea for an Ace Attorney themed game, and I'd love to host a Mafia at some point!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

We did one of those! It was fun!

this was also like 10 years ago hahahah

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh come on, Fynn. Optional pun-based humour is optional. And it really works as a theme.

I'd love an Ace Attorney mafia. I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Ugh

Not AA
    How the hell do you not like AA.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ooh, maybe some Nordic Noir? Or a cluedo themed game? I'm just throwing out ideas. If people don't want a theme, we don't have to do a theme. FF works well.

Actually, assuming that the identities revealed so far are largely accurate, there's been quite a good mix of characters. Good job, Karifean!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can't we just stick to FF? Something we all know? And tolerate?
    I was actually also thinking of going with something nobody here knows =P though I figured FF would be a simple one to start off.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I'd love an Ace Attorney mafia. I'm down.

Ugh

Not AA
    How the hell do you not like AA.
    How the hell anyone likes it is the real question

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kingdom Hearts themed!

Except no Disney characters. They are incredibly annoying in KH.

Except maybe Dark-Mickey. Badass