Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy III!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy III!

That's right everybody, it's time for another forum-wide Final Fantasy Challenge! For the rest of June and a couple of weeks into July, the Staff would like to invite you to participate in the Final Fantasy III competition.

We've developed a variety of challenges to whet your competitive appetite; everything from the beginner-friendly completion challenge (in other words, beat the final boss) to the gut-wrenching, heart-burn inducing Sour Cream and Onion Challenge.

BUT. We do have a few rules we're pretty insistent on. I'm stealing those from Azar.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar
    Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy I III Rules
    1. When you begin the game, please post a digital camera picture or a screenshot in this thread of your game that has your party clearly visible on the screen. You MUST do this to be eligible for participation in the Challenges; we have to be able to see the names, classes, etc. of your party so we can compare it to your finishing party, and make sure you don't just stick in a memory card or load up a save state without putting in the effort.
    2. That's right, you must also post a picture from the END of the game in this thread with your same party being displayed. This way we can confirm whether or not you met the criteria for any/all of the challenges: what level your party is, what class they are, etc.
    3. You CAN play the game on an emulator, and you CAN give us a screenshot of that. Just don't go talking about where you got the rom, mmkay? ADDENDUM: Also, don't go using frameskip on us. That's just plain wrong.
    4. You can achieve as many challenges as you want, and yes, you will be able to show off your winnings in some manner once this event is over.
    And now with the boring stuff out of the way, on to the challenges!

Gold Star Challenges
    The Sour Cream and Onion Challenge: To complete the Sour Cream and Onion Challenge you MUST finish the game with a FOUR Onion Knights FULLY EQUIPPED with Onion Knight gear. That's right, you have to finish the game with all characters in the Onion Knight job class and ALL of those characters must have a full set of Onion Equipment.

Onion Kids Only More onion goodness, this requires that you play and beat the entire game with all characters job class as Onion Kids.

The One Character Challenge This is pretty cut and dry. You must play the entire game using only one character. The job class and character is up to you.

All Characters Level 99 Again, pretty easy to figure out. All of your characters must be level 99 upon completion of the game.

All Characters Primary Class Level 99 All characters class level must be at level 99 before the completion of the game. The characters themselves do not have to be at level 99 (if it's even possible to do one without the other).

Initial equipment The game must be completed with the starting set of equipment for all characters.

And finally ...

All Character Classes Level 99
    In any combination between your four characters ALL job classes must be represented and ALL job classes must be maxed out at level 99. This challenge is for those who are crazy, masochistic or have WAY too much time on their hands.

And for everyone else who doesn't have the time or the gumption to complete our grueling gold star challenges, we have the following:

Silver Star Challenges
    Onion Knights Only Related to our first challenge, this requires that you finish the game with all characters job class as Onion Knight. To complete this challenge you DO NOT have to have complete sets of Onion Equipment.

Same class for all characters All characters must be of the same job class. While you might think this would merit a gold star challenge, it'd be pretty easy to complete this challenge with certain classes.

Completion Challenge Do you have zero time for additional in-game goodies? Join me in a simple completion challenge! I promise I won't upstage you.

Funniest names The funniest names or the funniest naming theme! This will be decided by staff selection and member vote!

Funniest Walkthrough Approaching this game in a way different from anyone else? Develop either a full or partial written walkthrough, complete with screenshots, for any part of FFIII. Please keep Eyes on's forum rules in mind when creating these, but otherwise feel free to be a zany as you want!

Quickest Walkthrough Time the game and compete with other members to see who can beat the game the quickest!

Lowest Average Level to Beat the Game This will be a forums-wide competition to see the average level at which we can all beat the game. Consider this both a personal and community goal!

Girly-Man Challenge Complete the game using only the "weak" classes including (but not limited to) Scholar, Geomancer, Evoker, and Bard!

And that's all she wrote, folks! Get started as soon as you want, participate in as many challenges as you'd like BUT BE AWARE that the final date for completion of challenges is JULY 13, 2008. This is to give us ample time to rest and prep for our next Final Fantasy Challenge.

I myself will be playing along with y'all this time, and I look forward to some great threads about the game. Remember, if you're ever stuck in-game, avoid GameFAQs and other walkthroughs; make an thread here about it and get involved with your fellow gamers.

Good luck y'all!

Signature by rubah. I think.

Once I get some more free time I think I shall be joining in this time. Been wanting to play through FF III NES for quite a while now.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to try for Onion Knights with all equipment on DS. Or maybe I'll be lucky to just finish the game.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Well, time to delete that file I started last week...

Ah hell, whom am I kidding, I was stuck anyway.

Also, can I keep mine in a blog format or some other similar method? That way you can see my progress all at once rather than jumbled with everyone else's here.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I've yet to finish that darned II but I might have more free time this month. Let's hope so!

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll be joining on my DS! Just beating the game will be enough for me, I think. All these new challenges look very exciting, and I can tell you've spent time developing them. I will definitely try one when we reach a game I've actually beaten before. and I also like the trend that a new staffer introduces each game.

but yes, DS. starting up later today.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

To pseudo-quote some random Final Fantasy flash that everyone seems to love: "It's time to save the world again from my own den."

"Shucks"? You know we're living in the sticks when the kids talk like this. But that's okay, because heros always live in towns in the middle of nowhere where the enemies are weak whenever a game starts.

"Time to fight"? Sounds like foreshadowing to me...

Gah! Goblins! And against our heros, who apparently are identical triplets. My guess is they had to dress them in different colors so people can tell them apart. And did I say triplets? I did. That's because the fourth one is the first one's stunt double. So, how will they fare?

Victorious, of course. If you lose the initial battle in the game then you were dropped on your head several times as a baby.
    I didn't replay this part...twice.

With this awesome loot I shall rule the world!! Actually, it keeps the Goblins from poking me with their pointy things.

Great job, Sherlock! How did you deduce that the only two rocks in the cave are special?

Ooh, stairs and a door in a cave. This must lead somewhere good. But where? Stay tuned to find out!

Figaro Castle

So I take it I can't enter

S**the
    ad! Gi
    mme my
    cake!!

into this as I ALREADY completed the game with them? I can't be bothered re-re-starting with them again :P

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The EoFF Phantom View Post

Also, can I keep mine in a blog format or some other similar method? That way you can see my progress all at once rather than jumbled with everyone else's here.
    Sure you can, as long as you provide a link to your blog.

Also, you probably don't want to do this as the Phantom! xD

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    So I take it I can't enter

S**the
    ad! Gi
    mme my
    cake!!

into this as I ALREADY completed the game with them? I can't be bothered re-re-starting with them again :P
    No. And that doesn't make any sense anyway. Stop it.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The EoFF Phantom View Post

Sure you can, as long as you provide a link to your blog.

Also, you probably don't want to do this as the Phantom!
    Sounds good! Although I will post a link in this forum and in my signature AFTER my phantomizing days are over.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can't get pictures, but I'm playing.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

We can live together, but I will not marry you.

Can't you use a regular camera, qwerty?
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Can I be bothered? Unsure. Would help if FFIII weren't buggering hard in places if you can't be bothered to grind. Or at least that's how I found FFIII DS to be.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    We can live together, but I will not marry you.

Can't you use a regular camera, qwerty?
    Aaaawe Mulley will be heart broken.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Our heros enter the next room and what do they find? An altar with fuzzy orb things. They approach apprehensively...

And find what they have quested after. Mustering all of the simple-minded charm and rapist wit they can muster, our heroes launch their attack. But nothing could prepare them for the counter-attack that awaited them...
    Why is the green dude dead? All I'm going to say is he shouldn't have made fun of the red dude for his stunt double.

OUCH

Bummer...

Thankfully, it was all just a dream our heroes had when they hit the bottom of the cave and were knocked unconscious. Now they are awake and ready to escape.
    Mulley: "Man, what a weird dream..."

Wait, aren't Flying Mullet, Roto13 and Avarice-ness Final Fantasy VI junkies? Yes, but when the casting call for Eyes on Final Fantasy III went out they didn't read the fine print that specified that this was for the NES Final Fantasy III and not the SNES Final Fantasy III.
    Don't worry, Avarice-ness' baby will be perma-mini'd once I have the capability to do so.

So, what will the future hold for these brave adventurers? Tune in same Bat Time, same Bat Channel to find out!

Figaro Castle