Thread: Steven Universe

Blog Entries

Default Steven Universe

No thread for S:U? No one else watch it here?

Big fan myself (not seen it for a few weeks but just been busy with other stuff). Truth be told I avoided it for a while because the first thing I heard about it was some angry fans telling Bronies to stay away from "their show" and it put me right off. However I was bored and tried it and a few hours later had binged my way through a good chunk of season 1 and the rest is history.

It's a bit slow to start - you need to watch like a dozen of them before it really sucks you in, and much more before the story really kicks into gear (like, towards the end of the first season). I'd say the minimum to make a call on whether you like it is getting to Cat Fingers (about episode 6 or 7). But when it does really "get started", boy does it get started.

A fine blend of humour, wackiness, adventure, inspiration / "coming of age" type material, with all sorts of deep emotional moments thrown in.

Steven = best character, he could rival Picard or Naruto when it comes to lectures.
    Garnet = best gem.

Season 1 finale HUGE BOMBSHELL SPOILERGarnet being revealed as a fusion absolutely dropped my jaw, yet seems so obvious in hindsight and explains the extra complexity of her character

Love the cartoon, loathe the fandom.

I stopped watching for a while after the fandom almost had a murder on their hands and they tried to push a young artist to suicide because she drew the characters "wrong "

But yeah, good show, one of the most disgusting and foul fandoms around though. I don't blame the show for that as that's just Tumblr's toxic culture.

Blog Entries

Yeah I'm in one of the more controversial fandoms which does have some horrible behaviour like that (I stick to "nice" Brony sites though, ones with rules on civility and such, not very unlike this place!) and even I wouldn't touch the S:U one with a bargepole. Besides, one's enough.
    Any fandom heavily weighted on Tumblr is one I'd tend to avoid. And that's not a political thing (I'm very left leaning) more a behavioural one.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Love the cartoon, loathe the fandom.

I stopped watching for a while after the fandom almost had a murder on their hands and they tried to push a young artist to suicide because she drew the characters "wrong "

But yeah, good show, one of the most disgusting and foul fandoms around though. I don't blame the show for that as that's just Tumblr's toxic culture.
    Wow, I thought Bronies and Undertale fans were questionable, but they're generally tame and friendly; that sounds like Zelda fanboy levels of crazy with death threats and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Wow, I thought Bronies and Undertale fans were questionable, but they're generally tame and friendly; that sounds like Zelda fanboy levels of crazy with death threats and everything
    Nah, the SU fandom is just downright sociopathic.

Just so.......disgusting. But then again, that's on Tumblr and you will know how gross and toxic that place is.

edit : Found this

Blog Entries

Yeah you see with Bronies I won't lie we're not exactly perfect either and similar lists are around from those who've dug dirt on us so I'm not really going to throw stones. But I still think there are more than enough good ones and good overall communities within it to just "try and be one of the good ones" (and not either the Tumblr outrage culture type or the Ponychan self entitled "pester the staff because they shipped my waifu with someone else" type). I stand by the idea that if all the nice, reasonably balanced people leave then it just snowballs into Sonic and SU territories.

I've not seen a nice, reasonably balanced SU fan site. Then again, I've not really looked for one - much like there are a lot of people who watch and love MLP but just don't see the appeal of joining a community for it, I feel that way about SU. I guess you either see the right people and they resonate with you (like happens with FF also) or you don't

I think we're in a level headed enough place here to actually appreciate the show together though! Can we at least agree that Lion is a complete boss?

Is there a place to stream Steven Universe? I hear such good things about it, but I don't watch cable. So I've missed out on the new great cartoons since Avatar: The Last Airbender. And considering how much I loved that, and probably any other cartoon an adult can get into (Tron: Uprising was pretty stellar), I've always been curious about people's glee over Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and a few others, including Stephen Universe

Could not get into MLP though. A little too saccharine for my taste. Though I appreciate it's existence, even if it comes with a little weirdness. There's a documentary on Netflix that delves into the Brony culture, and while there are likely more than few disgruntled and misguided fans, they seem to be outliers. Most of the Brony fandom seem to be all about acceptance and love and understanding. It was interesting to see a father of a Brony go from fearing his son is gay, to embracing the culture and becoming a fan because of all the positive it provides

A lot of fandoms could learn a thing or two on the whole from the Bronies

Blog Entries

That's the only problem - it's actually quite hard to watch legally, not even possible in the UK afaik (I could rant about regionalisation of media in the internet age, and how much money it loses the studios, til the cows come home). I know one of my US friends was catching random episodes of it somewhere but I really discourage that - it's meant to be watched in order.
    One tip it does take a bit to get going, I'd watch to at least Cat Fingers before making a judgement and really it's towards the end of S1 that it really kicks off, but the good news is the episodes are only 11 minutes.

A cursory Google search suggests Cartoon Network's site http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/show...niverse/videos

It's nice to hear level headed perspectives of MLP from an outsider, usually we get hate, some of it quite severe
    To each their own, I've not found MLP:FiM particularly saccharine (relative to the older 3rd generation of it anyway!) and over the years it's picked up on the diverse audience and adjusted a little - though they stress it's still primarily aimed at young girls - to the point where it went kind of DBZ in one of the episodes. However, can totally understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea!
    Last edited by Cloudane; 05-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.