Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Controversial opinions about Final Fantasy

Default Controversial opinions about Final Fantasy

You've probably seen a similar topic to this in other forums but about music or movies, where people state controversial/unpopular opinions about the subject and others engage in discussion about it if they want or post their own opinions. Not just any opinion of course, but one you actually stand by

For example:

- Yunalesca is the main villain of FFX

- Lighting Returns is better than FF XIII

- FVIII has probably the worst intro to any FF. I am referring to the opening cinematic which instead of leading you into the setting and the story like in IV, VI, VII and XII for example, it plays more like a trailer for the overall game. By looking at it you'd think that the whole world hangs in the balance in the fight between Squall and Seifer, specially with the dramatic music they use, yet it is only a "training" session at school. The other scenes they include in it offer no context whatsoever, Rinoa and Edea figure in it for no reason at all considering that you don't meet either until much later. It is nice as a visual fest but as an opening to the game it really doesn't works.

Discuss or post yours
    Last edited by Egami; 01-20-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I don't understand the FFIX hype. I must be missing something because everywhere I go, people are obsessed with it. Here, 4chan, Something Awful, Twitter... it is like everyone's favorite. I thought it was relatively average but everyone else loves it so I guess I am missing something. Maybe it has just been too long since I played it.

Beyond that I feel like most opinions, even unpopular ones, are still well-represented. I think the FFTA series is better than the original, for example, but some people here actually agree with me! Same with my love of FF 2. There are a lot of different opinions here and it's pretty neat.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I don't understand the FFIX hype. I must be missing something because everywhere I go, people are obsessed with it. Here, 4chan, Something Awful, Twitter... it is like everyone's favorite. I thought it was relatively average but everyone else loves it so I guess I am missing something. Maybe it has just been too long since I played it.

Beyond that I feel like most opinions, even unpopular ones, are still well-represented. I think the FFTA series is better than the original, for example, but some people here actually agree with me! Same with my love of FF 2. There are a lot of different opinions here and it's pretty neat.
    aye im with you FF2 is awesome.

im probably going in here with the wrong idea but whatever.

i dont understand why some people only think FFV is good for comedy. i mean theres plenty of other stuff good about it that is better than other main series games. ( jobs)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Nah, it's just not all that good.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The hype around FFIII, the game was boring and stale when it came to the characters and job system but I'm seeing a lot of the game everywhere on the FF wiki and merchandising. FFIII wasn't the worst but it definitely wasn't the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think FFXII is the best numbered FF, and FFTactics Advance is the best written FF, period. Ivalice for life!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I absolutely adore it, for reasons I will list eventually on my games list. It'll be like 3 pages long so beware :P

I find VII vastly overrated. I don't think its a bad game by any means but I've seen so much better come from Final Fantasy. I'll never understand the hype around Cid Highwind because having gone through abuse and seeing his verbal abuse of Shera was absolutely disgusting to me and him going "Oh she was right, my bads" doesn't make up for smurfing anything. Unless they've proven he's made amends in the sequels, which I would need to see. I also find Aeris one of the worst characters, I find her very rude, and I wanted to punch her in the face in almost every scene

I thought X-2 was better than X and overall just an excellent game

It's pretty good but it does have a lot of filler.

Sazh should have killed himself in XIII. It would have been such an epic plot twist.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like how each game has tried new things, but I really wish they had revisited II's character advancement along the way, as they did with III's Job System evolution. I mean, III did it pretty well, but V polished it to near-perfection. So I reckon in a similar vein, another shot at II's style would have really been something. I still love II's advancement even though it's unbalanced and open to abuse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree that if a game like FFXII had used the II system to some extent it could be probably the single best game in the series, gameplay-wise.

My unpopular opinion is that Aerith was never really this "broken bird" archetype and the fact that she was practically canonized as a saint in later games made her untimely demise significantly less impactful as it robs her of the loads of spunk and personality she has.

:monster:

The Compilation of FFVII should never have happened. Every new release they make in that universe takes away from a lot of what was good about the original game, which includes the sense of mystery and wonder of it. It's also worth noting how much less colourful the sequels are than the original game.

FFVII, while a good game, isn't as good as the hype makes it out to be. It's probably the fourth or fifth best game in the series.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I like VII, a lot, but I don't see it as a top V FF game. XII, X, X-2, V & VIII are all better. VI & IX are probably better as well.

That being said, the difference between the best & the worst FF is minute. I could even make an argument for Mystic Quest as a decent, yet flawed, game.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I view FF12 and FF13 as of equivalent quality.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I like how each game has tried new things, but I really wish they had revisited II's character advancement along the way, as they did with III's Job System evolution. I mean, III did it pretty well, but V polished it to near-perfection. So I reckon in a similar vein, another shot at II's style would have really been something. I still love II's advancement even though it's unbalanced and open to abuse.
    Bravely Default did it.