Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Best Open-World Games

What are your faves and why are they so awesome opossum?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fallout: New Vegas - Is not only full on content, it's full of content that matters. Each character, quest, and locale is tied to the greater setting and plot, making each element of the game feel connected. Moral ambiguity, a variety of solutions to quests, and a faction/reputation system that puts the World in Open World.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know some people don't consider it a fully open-world game since it is divided a little bit, but Xenoblade Chronicles wins if only because the world concept is so original and brilliantly executed.

That and the Sims 3 really felt so much more engrossing than the previous games because it had an open world and story progression

Probably Xenoblade since it's actually fun.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

red dead redemption

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That and the Sins 3 really felt so much more engrossing than the previous games because it had an open world and story progression
    I feel like The Sins 3 would be an open-world religion game where you play as Jesus or something and go cleanse people of your choice of their sins.

You could have decisions like whether or not to chill with the tax collectors or prostitutes and whether or not to get annoyed when your ship buddies wake you up because they're worried about a storm.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Fallout: New Vegas - Is not only full on content, it's full of content that matters. Each character, quest, and locale is tied to the greater setting and plot, making each element of the game feel connected. Moral ambiguity, a variety of solutions to quests, and a faction/reputation system that puts the World in Open World.
    Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    red dead redemption
    Definitely.

Also Saints Row 2 is a masterpiece and by far and away the best sandbox crime city game.

Finally, the Assassin's Creed series gets a lot of trout and deservedly so in many cases, but their recreations of cities are beautiful and densely packed - there's always something going on.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    That and the Sins 3 really felt so much more engrossing than the previous games because it had an open world and story progression
    I feel like The Sins 3 would be an open-world religion game where you play as Jesus or something and go cleanse people of your choice of their sins.
    Yeah, I feel like the mods on that game could get dark really fast.

I do agree that The Sims 3 was great at open-world, probably too much because it fries computers. I'm still surprised my laptop was able to play it.

Otherwise, I can't say I've played many true open world games. Dragon Age: Inquisition definitely doesn't count. Umm... I must have played more than just that!

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy VIII is also a great open world game.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Yeah, I feel like the mods on that game could get dark really fast.
    Well religion does get pretty dark, you know

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

For me, the world is the most important part of an open world game. I'm not all that interested in running around a recreation of a modern day city, no matter how detailed it is. My favorite open world games are the ones where the area itself is a fantastic place. So here are some of my favorites and where they took place:

Final Fantasy VI - the second half of this game is basically what we call 'open world RPG' today, and it takes place in a ruined world caused by the villain. How often does the villain actually succeed in destroying the world? Man this game is so great.

Red Dead Redemption - the Wild West, where the law was just a six shooter at your side.

Assassins Creed II - Florence/Tuscany, one of the most beautiful cities in existence, and recreated at its prime.

Assassins Creed IV - the open sea in the era of pirates. Possibly overlooked but I think this is the best AC. Like, Rockstar did the Cowboy Open World Game and it was fantastic so why did it take anyone this long to do the Pirate Open World Game?

Dragon Age Inquisition - a variety of your standard fantasy type settings but they are all beautiful and there's dragons.

Shadow of Mordor - it's in Middle Earth!

Xenoblade is a great RPG (one of the greatest) but I don't think I'd call it one of my favorite open world games. I love it more for the characters, plot, and battle mechanics. The settings are great but more for the running through them on your adventure. I don't see them as 'alive' as some of the other open world games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just Cause 2. The world has almost nothing interesting going on it and the story is basically garbage but you know what? Doesn't even matter. You're a guy with a grappling hook, a parachute, and a metric smurfton of weapons and vehicles at your disposal and the amount of fun that can be found in all of that is truly something to behold. An excellent example of a game with a few core gameplay mechanics that are just so god damned fun and work so well together that it makes a game that would suck without any single one of them one of the best things going. You haven't lived until you just run around seeing what things you can tie together with your grappling hook and what happens when you do.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Assassins Creed II - Florence/Tuscany, one of the most beautiful cities in existence, and recreated at its prime.

Assassins Creed IV - the open sea in the era of pirates. Possibly overlooked but I think this is the best AC. Like, Rockstar did the Cowboy Open World Game and it was fantastic so why did it take anyone this long to do the Pirate Open World Game?
    I definitely agree with II and IV being highlights of the Assassin's Creed series. I was a huge fan of Venice in II, and I also enjoyed Rome in Brotherhood. As a biased Brit I've really enjoyed playing Syndicate too. London is a city I know very well so it's pretty cool to see it recreated, and the Victorian era is one I've always liked the aesthetic of. Plus the grappling hook (I have no idea when they added this, I assume in Unity) is heaven sent for exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Also Saints Row 2 is a masterpiece and by far and away the best sandbox crime city game.
    This isn't actually completely true, I think. It's great, and better than SR3 and SR4, and certainly better than any GTA offering, but Sleeping Dogs is really good.

Some other open world games I adore in the category of "games I doubt other people will mention":

Gothic 1-3
    Divinity: Original Sin (is this "open world"? what are the requirements?)

Articles

I don't disagree about Sleeping Dogs at all, it was a vastly underrated title and as a single player experience you could definitely make the case for it being better than Saints Row 2. What swings it for SR2 for me is the co-op mode which has given me hundreds of hours of fun with friends.