Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book recommendations for 3rd-5th grade reading level

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After searching through my bookshelfs...

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
    His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman)
    Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer)
    The Pit Dragon Chronicles (Jane Yolen)
    Earthsea (Ursula leGuin)
    A Wrinkle in Time (Madeline le'Engle
    Magic Shop books (Bruce Coville)
    The Unicorn Chronicles (Bruce Coville)

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

"The Magic Treehouse" series is great and there are a lot of books available. Not only is it about magic and fantasy, but each book incorporates historical figures and places into it, so it's a bit of a history lesson as well. Another plus, one of the main protagonists is a young girl (it's a brother and sister team), so she may relate to it. My son read most of them between 1'st and 3'rd grade, he's an advanced reader, in the middle of "The Invisible Man" now. TMT is great for young readers (it really boosted his interest in reading).

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

For a classic, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass are required reading.

Curious George is solid as well.

Bruce Coville was a guy I read aton of at that age.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Coville

I recommend Camp Haunted Hills, at the very least.

Might also want to try some Gary Paulsen. The Brian Saga, at least the first one, were books people just couldn't stop raving about back in the day. I liked The Transall Saga myself.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

ooooooooo yesssss

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember the Inkheart series being pretty enjoyable, but honestly I can't remember too much from my childhood. Mr. Carny could probably help you out more.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I ended up getting her a box set of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. It's about a Princess who didn't want to marry a prince and was bored with being a princess so she went to work for a Dragon.

I gave it to her yesterday. She read the back and I was all "I think you'll like this. She goes to look for a dragon instead of being a princess." "Yeah cause dragons are way cooler than smelly boys" "That's right "

I mean sorry smelly boys but.... dragons.

Blog Entries

I distinctly remember being hooked on Madeleine L'Engle's booked when I was just slightly older than her. Wonderful stories in a massive universe, with a girl hero.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I loved the Animorphs books when I was that age. Don't really know how far that popularity went, but I loved them.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Something like the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy might be fun for her. The humour is nice and quirky, and she'll learn lots (words) from reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I ended up getting her a box set of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. It's about a Princess who didn't want to marry a prince and was bored with being a princess so she went to work for a Dragon.

I gave it to her yesterday. She read the back and I was all "I think you'll like this. She goes to look for a dragon instead of being a princess." "Yeah cause dragons are way cooler than smelly boys" "That's right "

I mean sorry smelly boys but.... dragons.
    Where in the world did you come across that? I was reading through this thread with the distinct intention of recommending those books. They were my favorite growing up. Good call. They're like Shrek or Discworld, but a tad more mature in some aspects, and not always so silly. But very similar. Very enjoyable. Also one of my favorite authors. The Lyra series is really good too

Articles
    Blog Entries

Lolita.

EDIT: In all seriousness, Deltora, Coraline, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and Chronicles of Narnia are solid choices.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Bruce Coville was a guy I read a ton of at that age.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Coville
    I was coming here to recommend the "My Teacher is an Alien" series by him. It's not a super hard read, it's aimed right at her age, and it touches on important subjects for her to start thinking about at that age. (Acceptance, tolerance, cultural differences, higher learning, etc.) all wrapped up in a sci-fi package.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Something like the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy might be fun for her. The humour is nice and quirky, and she'll learn lots (words) from reading it.
    I know others would disagree, but I also came here to say this. I grew up on these books. They were fantastic, and not too hard for me and I'm not a genius or anything, and also gave me plenty to think about from ages 7 or 8 up to around 13 when Mostly Harmless came out

I know it's all sci-fi instead of fantasy, but it's still probably a good idea.