Thread: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That is impressive, but I don't play games to watch creative videos. I hope the same creativity is used in the actual playing part.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    That is impressive, but I don't play games to watch creative videos. I hope the same creativity is used in the actual playing part.
    You'll probably be in luck, then, because I can't think of any games that have level scenarios as unique as Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid titles.

Or as memorable boss fights.

Or as varied and robust play style options.

Or as many easter eggs, nooks, and crannies to explore on replays.

Have you played Metal Gear Solid before?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm super pumped for this, Hideo sets the bar so high with each new title and meets it every time.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You'll probably be in luck, then, because I can't think of any games that have level scenarios as unique as Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid titles.

Or as memorable boss fights.

Or as varied and robust play style options.

Or as many easter eggs, nooks, and crannies to explore on replays.

Have you played Metal Gear Solid before?
    Yes yes. I love these games. But I found MGS4 to be too much of a shooter and not as innovative as MGS3. Still one of the best games for PS3 though.

Also my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because it really baffles me when people get worked up over seeing FMV cutscenes when a game is announced. Especially since game designers seemed to have picked up on this and a lot of the innovation these days comes from one upmanship in trying to add more ripples to a guy's cape or more realistic shadows on facial hair.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Also my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because it really baffles me when people get worked up over seeing FMV cutscenes when a game is announced.
    This is a bit different than just an FMV cutscene though. Something like the first trailer for Dead Island is a terrible way to announce a game because it not only shows nothing about the actual game (not even what it will look like since they literally decided to make a cool trailer and not even do it in engine), but it's actually quite disingenuous in terms of setting up expectations which are completely divorced from the actual product.

This isn't quite like that because not only was it running in the actual game engine in real time giving us a good indication of some things to expect (I'd say missions with more dynamic contrast between light and shadow and changing weather or at least varied weather conditions might be a possibility based on the excessive rain and darkness), but it also sets up the right expectations for a new MGS game. Roughly a 8 or 9:1 cutscene to gameplay ratio from the looks of it.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

All those people who complain because MGS4 is all cutscene and no game...they just don't understand! When it's as impressive as it is, then I'm fine with it!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to trout and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with. Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!

I am sure the game play, story and everything will be good but at this point I don't care and it seems like the only reason they are doing this is because they can't come up with an original concept or characters and are just falling back on this. Kojima has been saying he would like to leave MGS since the second one and at this point, I just don't think he has many ideas or is unwilling to take any chances.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    it seems like the only reason they are doing this is because they can't come up with an original concept or characters and are just falling back on this. Kojima has been saying he would like to leave MGS since the second one and at this point, I just don't think he has many ideas or is unwilling to take any chances.
    That's exactly what I thought after MGS2. However, both MGS3 and 4 proved me wrong. Both were full of new ideas, all of which were awesomely executed. And yes, storywise I wish some more ballsy decisions were taken but then again a lot of Big Boss's story is still untouched. So I'm still hyped for this game!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to trout and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with.
    Kind of off topic, but I'll have to disagree with you there. Since Platinum games took over, Rising actually looks like something worth playing now instead of a slow action game with a cumbersome cutting mechanic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series
    I don't want to alarm you, but you might have no soul.

and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!
    Wait, what? Did I fall asleep during the trailer or something because I don't remember any holograms in there. I can't watch it right now to confirm though. Seriously, I don't remember seeing anything like that at all.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to trout and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with.
    Kind of off topic, but I'll have to disagree with you there. Since Platinum games took over, Rising actually looks like something worth playing now instead of a slow action game with a cumbersome cutting mechanic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series
    I don't want to alarm you, but you might have no soul.

and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!
    Wait, what? Did I fall asleep during the trailer or something because I don't remember any holograms in there. I can't watch it right now to confirm though. Seriously, I don't remember seeing anything like that at all.
    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - English subtitles - YouTube (Time Coded to go to the spot) Maybe that doesn't quite count as a hologram but I don't know what else to call that sort of technology. Either way, bulltrout for the time era.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Platinum games take. I am not saying that the original wasn't without problems but it was looking like a different take on a genre I rarely like. Platinum is not doing that :/

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - English subtitles - YouTube (Time Coded to go to the spot) Maybe that doesn't quite count as a hologram but I don't know what else to call that sort of technology. Either way, bulltit for the time era.
    Forgive me, I completely forgot about that part. It seems to be a variation of this perhaps. Still, it seems a bit silly to get up in arms about a fairly simple projected display in a series which had things like the Shagohad in the 60's, bi-pedal nuclear equipped tanks in the 90's, nano-machines which control thoughts, bodily functions and can make someone unkillable before 2020, or successful human cloning in the 70's. 20 years before we had Dolly the Sheep.

I mean, I could understand if the advanced technologies which are present before they actually exist in the real world bother someone, but a 3D display in the 70's or 80's being the point they go too far seems a bit strange to me given some vastly more ridiculous uses of advanced technology. I mean honestly, that's the point where they've gone too far and lose credibility? At the very least this is an idea which has been around for a century and has had some degree of successful implementation.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Platinum games take. I am not saying that the original wasn't without problems but it was looking like a different take on a genre I rarely like. Platinum is not doing that :/
    I don't know. Before Platinum took over Rising just looked like MGS4 with Raiden and a sword. It was like they took the gameplay from the final hour or so of MGS2, which was ok I suppose, and added the cumbersome ability to cut anything in any direction. Interesting to some degree I suppose, but it really wasn't anything that new or amazing. I'd gladly take a new Platinum Games action title over it given their pedigree, but I actually do like action games and have greatly enjoyed their previous efforts to some extent or another. Vanquish is actually one of my favourite games of this console generation.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Concerning Rising, the original made me want to stab my eyes. Platinum took over and it looked cool. And then they changed the name to the current stupidity and I lost all faith again..
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I mean honestly, that's the point where they've gone too far and lose credibility?
    It lost all credibility when grafting someone's dead arm onto your own, aside from it actually working, magically makes you channel the spirit of its owner and alters your voice.

The portable hologram PDAs just make it even worse if anything.

there was a picture here

I haven't been following Metal Gear news, was this the one that was, at one point, called Revengance?

Or is that a seperate game?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    It lost all credibility when grafting someone's dead arm onto your own, aside from it actually working, magically makes you channel the spirit of its owner and alters your voice.
    If that were what had actually happened it would have at least made sense based on the events of MGS3.