Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crap in games that people bitch about that doesn't bother you.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

This has almost come into a spot better suited for the accadamia thread, but I know how Sky is feeling. I too have felt the attacks from the media due to simply disagreeing with someone on a topic. My Twitter account I had for 9 years was suspended and locked out. I was attacked by one of Justin Trudeau's top advisers husband. All because I said I don't think a carbon tax will fix the environment. Though I think if that's how the programmers wish to show the bad guys they have the right to under freedom of speech, there is a consequence for doing it where people may not buy the game as they may feel shunned.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

y'all
    farcry series has been ridiculous the entire time
    constantly murdering islanders and POC's in FC3 essentially
    also they were all portrayed as druggies and 'savage'

it's the FPS equivalent of a south park episode where they'll set it anywhere and target anyone

im not defending it but if you want nuanced representation of any group perhaps farcry isn't the series to flock to

also

cult != religious != a person of faith
    three quite distinct value sets imo

anyway
    -i kind of like it when enemies in RPGs are the same model but color switched for element changes

I can imagine it's different for everyone, but for me it'd be like if someone made a game where a Neo-Nazi uprising took place in Germany, and you have to fight as the resistance. I'm not going to look at the game and be like "Damn Germans, Nazis, all of 'em." I'm gonna like "Alright, let's help the good guy Germans fight against the bad guy Germans".

I know the media and this forum have been fairly vocal about distaste of conservative and fundamental values, but I have yet to see someone want to play this game to kill republicans or conservatives. So while the argument could be made I suppose if someone wanted to, I think people may also be projecting onto this a little

Of course, as you said, you aren't a member of these groups, so you haven't been living as the subject of these constant attacks. To you, it's just part of life. Roses are red, the sky is blue, members of flyover states are bible clutching, xenophobic hate freaks who deserve to be murdered en masse.

They have made the caricature of the Trump supporter the enemy in this game. If they expect that to endear them to people who are sick of being portrayed as that stereotype, they're being rather stupid.

Of course, Ubisoft is a French company, so it's not like they bother to understand these points. They recently overcame their violent xenophobes who don't deserve to live. They certainly aren't going to bother to try to understand anyone else's.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know far cry is developed in Montreal right?

And if we're going to discuss a game with an obviously fictionalized and exaggerated group of violent religious extremists as enemies we probably shouldn't try and pretend that violent religious extremism doesn't exist in the US.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think people are jumping to conclusions with Far Cry 5 given the limited amount of information we have about it. For the record, my hot take on it when I saw it wasn't "Oh here comes Trump supporter simulator!" but "Oh hey it's the Waco Siege, Jonestown, etc." I know the difference between a conservative and a doomsday cultist, and the game's marketing material so far has focused on the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut
    Though I think if that's how the programmers wish to show the bad guys they have the right to under freedom of speech, there is a consequence for doing it where people may not buy the game as they may feel shunned.
    This is exactly my thoughts on it. If Far Cry 5 does go on to depict conservatives or people living in the country in a negative light then Ubisoft have the right to make that game, just as it's fine for something like GTA San Andreas to depict the negative stereotype of black gang culture. With that said, then absolutely people like Skyblade and FFNut have the right to be unhappy with it misrepresenting them and the way of life, especially given the current political climate.

Consumers should vote with their wallets. Personally speaking, I'm not interested in a redneck Christian cultist villain playing to the same old tropes because it's lazy and overdone in games. We just had Outlast 2 and Resident Evil 7, so I've had my fill for 2017 thank you!

I mean, to be perfectly fair, I wouldn't have bought the game anyway. I picked up Blood Dragon to give the series a try, and what I liked most about it was the theme, story, and cheesiness (and, while the "make everything glowing red" was annoying, it's still better than setting it in a jungle. At least if this one is in Montana, it won't have the jungle setting). Basically, everything that made it Blood Dragon, instead of the mainline series. I didn't particularly enjoy the mechanics and I might have finished it, but I definitely didn't care enough to 100% it (which is rare for me in sandbox games), and likely wouldn't buy another game in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    What's this sweeping generalization of another country?
    The same thing that's about the sweeping generalizations of Trump voters/supporters?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 06-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, because a video game company's decision of choosing a specific group for their antagonist is a valid reason to belittle every foreign culture that isn't you, belittling the rest of the world for not being as fortunate to have been born as one of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yes, because a video game company's decision of choosing a specific group for their antagonist is a valid reason to belittle every foreign culture that isn't you, belittling the rest of the world for not being as fortunate to have been born as one of you.
    If this was just about the video game company, this would have been a minor kerfuffle that not many people care about. It isn't. It's about the statements made by every major press outlet, celebrity, political figure, and most forum posters from Europe (and America) for the past two years.

The sweeping generalizations and mischaracterizations aren't very nice, are they? So why is it hard to understand that we don't like them any more than you do?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 06-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've seen where discussions like this have gone over the past 12 months and it's never anywhere good. This thread is being taken wildly off topic from its original purpose and I think we should leave this discussion here. Future posts on this will be deleted without further warning. Thank you!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

edit: Well gosh darn it Psy, right before I posted

Ummm on the original topic:

Bitching about non gameplay issues in general kinda bothers me. Im pretty easygoing and far ranging in my tastes so I dont tend to go picky about what I like.

Gameplay trumps ALMOST everything. I can only think of like 1 game off the top of my head out of like 600 that the plot was so offensively bad the gameplay couldnt save it.

There is one particular complaint that just burns my ass though. People complaining that a game has too much story in it. Or that story doesnt belong in games.

Banned

I have always felt that people bitch too much in general on "Silver Surfer" for the NES, and I am sure that this is just because AVGN did that in one of his older videos about that game.
    "Silver Surfer" is just a somewhat flawed fairly ordinary space shooter, but people act as if it is "the worst game 3V4R for any console".
    No, seriously, if people were introduced to that game without knowing about the AVGN video they would possibly find it a bit annoying and brutally difficult, but they would definitely not consider it "one of the worst games in history".
    There are MUCH worse games out there, like pretty much all the games on the "Action 52" collection for example, and if you were to put "Silver Surfer" in that collection then people would think that that game was amazingly good compared to everything else there.
    Think about that for a moment - you are trying out the games on that collection, and then all of a sudden you pick "Silver Surfer" and start playing that - it would feel very out of place and unexpected, because it really is much more well-designed than any of the junk on that collection, even with its flaws taken into account.

Also, criticising the game for how it's got "enemies all over the place" is pointless, because almost all games in the space shooter genre are like that.
    If you want to see something REALLY crazy for that console then take a look at "Summer Carnival '92: Recca" for the Famicom - even the very beginning of that game (and yes, I literally mean the absolute beginning) is more intense than most parts from "Silver Surfer", and it gets worse and worse from there until you will have to resort to pure memorisation a lot of the time.
    And guess what?
    People still consider that game to be amazing and one of the best space shooters on that console, so the "enemies everywhere!" argument is clearly not a significant issue.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 08-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Trial and Error Gameplay - I blame this on my early roots of gaming being in the arcade scene so I'm usually not as discouraged by cheap deaths brought upon by needing to memorize the level layout, enemy placement, or boss patterns. I feel it's why my recent marathon of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne was pretty positive overall. It's also why I don't really mind when a MegaTen game decides to cut me down to size cause I'm taking too many risks or not pre-planning the eventual run in with instant death magic that works.

Silent Protagonist - I've seen them done well, I've seen them done poorly, they don't really bother me.

Obvious Gameplay Mechanic Handicaps - No I'm not talking about the terrible out of nowhere stealth mission, I'm talking about things like a Stamina Gauge to limit your running or climbing, breakable gear, things like Vagrant Story's Risk System. If it makes sense and the trade-off works, I don't mind these types of handicaps. Again, I've seen some of these done well and some of them done poorly, but many games I really like actually incorporate these types of elements and I feel it makes the game richer for it. I feel it only fails when the mechanic seriously hampers the flow of the game even when you are playing well, and thus you can't really improve your situation.
    These three I relate to INTENSELY. Star Fox 64 and Sin and Punishment are 2 games I would put in my top 5 all-time favorites. I'm going to go off of this and throw in Limited Number of Lives/Game Overs, because while, yes, those are holdovers from the old days of arcades, they're usually also an incentive to play better so that you may earn more lives.

Rudy Roughknight from Wild ARMS is one of my favorite characters and he says all of maybe two lines. Sometimes it's more fun to think about what the character is saying. My least favorite thing about the Persona anime adaptations is I liked my generic main character more when I imprinted some personality onto him.

Weapon Durability in Breath of the Wild is brilliant; it's a survival game; resource management should extend to combat.
    Returners Represent!