No spoilers please!! I'm still not to the Alltrades Abbey yet

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty sure that's not Alltrades Abbey territory yet either, since I haven't reached AA, but I think I just reached the island they mention.

But yeah, no spoilers

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alltrade Abbey/Dharma Temple is not really big on story spoilers as much as it's the point the game takes the kiddy gloves off and decides to pull you through the wringer just before it hands you the keys to the city (job classes). It's the first serious difficulty jump in the game, but certainly not the last one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)So what exactly was so dark about the ELLIE segment? I really don't get it and I beat both the past and present. Nothing stuck out as particularly dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    (SPOILER)So what exactly was so dark about the ELLIE segment? I really don't get it and I beat both the past and present. Nothing stuck out as particularly dark.
    Its how out of nowhere the bit came in compared to anything else in the game thus far.

(SPOILER)The man had given up on humanity too the point he got all his emotional stimulation from a robot. Firstly that scene where she is feeding dead man soup shows he never was able to reconnect with people. And after he dies you get that whole present day segment, and it implies heavily that the Robot has some degree of emotion. Yet due to it's programming, it is still unable to realize the guy is dead.

That's some depressing trout right there. (Also currently past Alltrades abby)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk. It didn't really feel depressing to me at all and some of the stuff was downright dumb. (SPOILER)I'm also pretty sure the robot just kept doing what it was programmed to do, as a robot would do. Did not get the impression it had a soul or emotions of its own whatsoever. Which makes the reaction of the people around all the more baffling. I mean, of course it would keep doing that thing over all these centuries - it's a machine and that;s literally the only thing it was programmed to do at that point. Sure, it's sad the guy died alone, but other than that the plot in the present was pretty meh. But that's just me

Frobisher SpoilerIt wasn't my favorite story so far, but yeah I did like the resolution of the Frobisher/Faraday story. It's subtle that Autonymus did not want to be bothered by humans again (unless I missed some more explicit dialogue). After "they" save the day, the king asks what he would like as reward and Autonymus says he doesn't want anything and then storms off. When you visit in the present you just see Ellie still trying to care for his pile of bones. While Fynn is right and the robot is programmed to act that way and probably doesn't have emotion, I guess I liked it from another perspective. I too got the impression that Autonymus wanted to be alone and that the robot was just executing commands. But he obviously had been completely alone with the robot, considering his skeleton was still there yet unnoticed.

But then you learn that the guy (I think his name is Ambrose?) happened upon his "academy" and saw the way the robot was still taking care of him and tried to prevent everyone from interfering with that. I thought that part was sweet and somewhat somber.

But yeah, no big WOW SO SAD moment, but I did like the resolution.

Idk. It didn't really feel depressing to me at all and some of the stuff was downright dumb. (SPOILER)I'm also pretty sure the robot just kept doing what it was programmed to do, as a robot would do. Did not get the impression it had a soul or emotions of its own whatsoever. Which makes the reaction of the people around all the more baffling. I mean, of course it would keep doing that thing over all these centuries - it's a machine and that;s literally the only thing it was programmed to do at that point. Sure, it's sad the guy died alone, but other than that the plot in the present was pretty meh. But that's just me
    (SPOILER)Go back and talk to Ellie afterwords the story is finished, and there is an additional bit of dialogue that wasn't their the first time

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    (SPOILER)Go back and talk to Ellie afterwords the story is finished, and there is an additional bit of dialogue that wasn't their the first time
    (SPOILER)I know. It doesn't convince me.

(SPOILER)SO you are saying you believe that the robot was programed to thank you for returning it to it's master? That is.... a very, very bizarre thing to program

I didn't catch that part! I will go back and see!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)SO you are saying you believe that the robot was programed to thank you for returning it to it's master? That is.... a very, very bizarre thing to program
    (SPOILER)Even before that ELLIE's been shown to clearly react to what other people are doing, like when she follows the soldier because they have fresh soup, facilitating her tasks. It really doesn't seem unlikely that Autonymus would program her with basic social utterances to facilitate communication. So it really make sense that she'd say thank you after you help her resume her programmed task.

(SPOILER)Even before that ELLIE's been shown to clearly react to what other people are doing, like when she follows the soldier because they have fresh soup, facilitating her tasks. It really doesn't seem unlikely that Autonymus would program her with basic social utterances to facilitate communication. So it really make sense that she'd say thank you after you help her resume her programmed task.
    (SPOILER)You mean like that time she totally thanked the people who were leading her to soup?

She reacts, yes, but there are two isntances in which she is helped. The first one she thinks the soldiers are leading her to fresh soup, but she doesn't thank them.

The second is when you return her to continue watching over the dead guy, in which case she does thank you. If she is programmed to thank people who help her, it seems odd that it didn't happen in the first case.

Also, why would Autonymos, who clearly hates people, program Ellie to thank other people? He wanted nothing to do with people.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)You mean like that time she totally thanked the people who were leading her to soup?

She reacts, yes, but there are two isntances in which she is helped. The first one she thinks the soldiers are leading her to fresh soup, but she doesn't thank them.

The second is when you return her to continue watching over the dead guy, in which case she does thank you. If she is programmed to thank people who help her, it seems odd that it didn't happen in the first case.

Also, why would Autonymos, who clearly hates people, program Ellie to thank other people? He wanted nothing to do with people.
    (SPOILER)So she would thank him?

This must be amusing to people avoiding spoilers, btw

(SPOILER)So she would thank him?

This must be amusing to people avoiding spoilers, btw
    (SPOILER)So why didn't she thank the soldiers who were bringing her to soup?

If it was programmed, there would have to be some oddly specific flags to trigger a thanks.

Offering to help with a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as the guards weren't thanked.

Helping her complete a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as you aren't thanked upon returning Ellie.

Returning her to her duty after she is prevented from preforming her task because the guards lied about soup and fixing her up, and then returning at a later time to speak to her triggers a thanks.

This is some strange programming at work here.

That or she has developed a sense of consciousness, and considering this is a world in which multiple NPC's have already stated they believe it to be possible? Seems the more likely option.

And who knows, maybe the Idea of dying alone with nothing but electronics to keep you company is just something that seems perfectly normal to you, hence the lack of feels.