Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Typing

Are you a good/fast typer? When and how did you learn?

I can type about average speed, but I can't yet type well without looking so I remembered a program when I was little called Tap Touche (French) that I never got a chance to use much, but that I really enjoyed. So I looked it up and found the English equivalent, since I have an English keyboard, and I bought it. Costs about $30.

I actually found the Garfield one and I love Garfield so I'm happy . So I am going to try to learn to type without looking. Don't laugh at me!

For anyone interested
    garfield1.pnggarfield2.png

That's basically what the program is. They have progress reports, accuracy rates, games, and even something that can track your typing online if you chose to activate it and tell you where your weak points are and such.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I learned to type in a keyboarding class in middle school. It was the most helpful class I've ever taken. I can type ~110wpm with few to no errors. In the correct posture, too! (i.e. no wrists touching the desk and so forth.)

You would think that this skill would get you into all sorts of jobs but it actually doesn't. It's helpful for NaNoWriMo and the like, though. And blabbing on the internet, of course.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can type at a regular speed, but I have such an unorthodox way to type on my keyboard. But it works for me, so there's no problem with that.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I type the standard way, from having classes, and from having a program to practice with when I was little.

I certainly am not error free, but I average about 60-80wpm from what I remember. No too slow.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mavis Beacon taught me to type.

I don't need to look at the keyboard most of the time. I do occasionally because brain fart. But usually I know where the keys are. I type about as fast as sharky, if I remember right. If I have an actual train of thought or am copying from one thing to another I can get in the 90's sometimes. I dunno, I haven't tried in a long time to see what I actually type at.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I type ~59 wpm according to this test here.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I type ~59 wpm according to this test here.
    Oooh I got 120!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only got 50 and I had to look

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Loony BoB and I took "Information Technology" classes in high school, and that's where I learned to type. They made us copy paragraphs out of retro typing textbooks, sit properly, and put little bibs over our keyboards so that we couldn't see the keys and were forced to type by memory. I also picked up some now-defunct secretarial shorthand which makes it fun to edit things!

In my first job after graduating college I would have to sit and take minutes in three hour meetings, full of technical jargon, names and acronyms that I'd never heard before. Between my typing skills and my memory I became very good at it, and managers would go out of their way to have me sit in on their meetings, so these lessons served me pretty well!

I just took the test and got 87 wpm, that's about standard for me.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm pretty fast, and I touch type. I never really learnt how, I just picked it up through lots of use. I haven't done the test as I'm using my phone.

Blog Entries

BOO. I got 50 wpm.

I'm faster at texting though.. Having to sneak text at work or if I'm in a hurry makes me a lot faster than normal.

I used to could text without even looking at my phone- back before touch screens/smart phones were invented. I had all the keys memorized and knew how many times to push each one to get the letter/symbol I wanted. .. Yes. I would do that while driving if I really needed to, but I never once looked to make sure the text was right- I knew it would be. I very rarely made mistakes. with it.

Now with the autocorrect function, my phone likes to have a free for all with my words sometimes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

No idea, it always came natural to me. I'm sure the Mario typing game I played as a kid certainly helped. I always averaged 90 words per minute on that.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got 70wpm, but I don't type correctly and I don't look at the keyboard when I type so I got six errors.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I got 65 wpm, so I've slowed down over the years.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Loony BoB and I took "Information Technology" classes in high school, and that's where I learned to type. They made us copy paragraphs out of retro typing textbooks, sit properly, and put little bibs over our keyboards so that we couldn't see the keys and were forced to type by memory.
    We did this beginning in our fourth grade classes through our sixth grade classes! I was always done first, so the other kids in my row would snag me to come take their typing tests for them while they distracted the teacher with a question. My row always won the computer challenges. /smug

I am a good and fast typist when put under scrutiny and if I focus. Last time I took a typing test I scored at 91 or 93 (I don't remember, it was a 90's number), but I put 90 on my resume.

I got 34 wpm. lol

But I'm sitting in bed right now.

I really got better at typing after I started doing it in a second language. It really helped me memorize where the keys are I think!