Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Star Wars: Rogue One

On to the next Star Wars film it seems! Here's a teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's going to be amazing. I can feel it in my bones.

Also they are absolutely killing it with the music for the trailers so far. The remixes they had for the force awakens trailers and now that beautiful piano cover of binary sunset. So damn good.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best part about this movie: Not a sequel, can't be a let down.

Unless they hype it up too much, of course. But since it will come out in half a year, it probably won't be that bad.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Daaaamn that looks good. Who was that highly decorated Imperial? Young Tarkin? When between Episodes III & IV does this take place?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I guess closer to A New Hope than Revenge of the Sith since I think it's about the Death Star plans ending up in Leia's hands - but I can only speculate at this time!

1000000/10 trailer. Haters can suck it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OH YES. OH YES. OH YES.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Haters can suck it.
    Do these people even exist? Who could possibly hate that?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It does look good, and Episode VII has got me impressed with how things are going with this new direction Star Wars is going with. I have hope, though I don't want to raise my hopes up too much.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Haters can suck it.
    Sexist knuckledraggers across the internet mainly
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I guess closer to A New Hope than Revenge of the Sith since I think it's about the Death Star plans ending up in Leia's hands - but I can only speculate at this time!
    So it's basically Dark Forces?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Haters can suck it.
    Sexist knuckledraggers across the internet mainly
    Oh. Well, now that we know whether they exist, can I now have an answer to why they exist? Idiots.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    So it's basically Dark Forces?
    You had my interest. Now you have my attention.

I wonder how many bothans will die in this movie. Probably a lot.

That was excellent and the music was soooo good.

Was that a shot of Vader from behind?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

May the forest be with you.

image.jpeg

I think this is going to be great. I'm really excited about having these one-off side stories in between episodes to help expand the lore and drop the time between movies. Especially since all my favorite stories aren't canon anymore.

Overall that's a good teaser trailer which actually gives us quite a bit of information while also leaving much of the story and characters still mysterious enough to keep us speculating. I like that. One line that kinda made me roll my eyes was the whole "I rebel" comment which felt kinda cheesy, but this is Star Wars, so...

I was really glad to see Genevieve O'Reilly return to reprise the role of Mon Mothma; she depicted a younger version of the character in the deleted scenes detailing the birth of the Rebellion in Revenge of the Sith, and her portrayal both there and in this trailer was spot on. I wonder if we'll see a Bail Organa cameo; Jimmy Smits would be the right age for the role by now, and it would be nice to see a bit more of Alderaan.

There's also lots of speculation about Vader appearing in the film, and it'd make sense, considering what's at stake in the film. That would also lead to some great marketing if they showed a glimpse of Vader at the end of one of the future, full trailers to hype up the audience and make them realize that this film is indeed set during the Original Trilogy time.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Daaaamn that looks good. Who was that highly decorated Imperial? Young Tarkin? When between Episodes III & IV does this take place?
    The plot deals with the theft of the Death Star plans with Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) apparently playing a role similar to Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces game. As per A New Hope's opening crawl, we should also see the Rebellion's first major victory against the Empire, which will make them finallly look like a credible threat to the Empire as the victory ties into the aforementioned theft heavily.

Ben Mendelsohn doesn't portray Tarkin; by this time Tarkin is already a Grand Moff and has a different uniform and looks totally different as we see in A New Hope.

If Mendelsohn's white uniform is anything to go by (and based on how plain the uniforms we've seen on admirals like Konstantine in the Rebels series and Piett in ESB/RotJ look in comparison), it actually resembles the uniforms Grand Admirals such as Thrawn and Zaarin have traditionally worn in the old Legends continuity. As per comments from the lore-focused people such as Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni, Disney has more or less given the different teams free reign to reincorporate the best stuff from the old Legends continuity into the new canon if they deem it fit, so it wouldn't surprise me for Rogue One to reintroduce the Grand Admirals into Star Wars lore.

The question remains whether this Grand Admiral will be a canon immigrant from the old continuity, an expy for someone like Zaarin from the TIE fighter game (despite rumours, I'd be surprised if he turned out to be Thrawn as I doubt the new team would take out the iconic blue skin and red eyes look for the fan favourite character, especially after Filoni made a cheeky reply to a fan about whether we'd ever see Thrawn in the new continuity starting from Rebels), or a completely new character with no ties or callbacks to old lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    I wonder how many bothans will die in this movie. Probably a lot.
    The bothans died during the retrieval of plans for Death Star II. We're still a few years from that in the film's placement in the canon continuity. Maybe if they ever make a Rogue Two film which details the theft of those plans, so who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    That was excellent and the music was soooo good.

Was that a shot of Vader from behind?
    Yep, I especially liked the mixing of the Force Theme and the Imperial March together at the end with the "what will you become" line.

Vader doesn't tend to wear a hood, so it leaves the identity of the cloaked character ambiguous even if the back of the head implies some sort of helmet/mask. What's interesting is that there are also a few of the Emperor's Royal Guards at the scene, and I wonder why they are present as the place doesn't look like the Emperor's throne room on Coruscant as they should only appear if the Emperor is present. Here's to hoping we get a glimpse of the fighting prowess of the Royal Guards who are no slouches when it comes to that, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki