Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAKING games!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Messed around a bit with RPG Maker on PlayStation for a while, but didn't do much outside of designing some levels. I've also Dungeon Mastered a bit in 3rd and 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons.

My favorite experience was probably with Graal, back when it came with a server-running utility and you could run your own servers. Damn that was so much fun. A lot of my friends and I made a ton of awesome towns and dungeons and even learned to mess with events and such a little bit. What a fantastic thing back in the day.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I tried to learn flash for like a day so I could make an EoFF dating sim, but then I got lazy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I tried to learn flash for like a day so I could make an EoFF dating sim, but then I got lazy.
    Oh you have to finish this game now.

I can just imagine:

You enter the high school hall and spot Wolf Kanno.
    Say Hi?
    ->Yes
    No

You say hi to Wolf Kanno, Wolf Kanno ignore you, he seems to be involved with a gaming device.
    Try to get his attention?
    ->Yes
    No

You yell at the top of your lungs and yell Booyaku! Wolf Kanno looks up to see what it is and looks at you.

WK: Um... what was that all about
    Player: Hi!
    WK: Oh hi.
    Player: .......
    WK: .......
    Player: .......
    WK: Did you need something?

How will you respond?
    -> Um, I was just trying to be friendly.
    I said hi you dumb jerk, what the hell is wrong with you!?

WK: Well, go be friendly somewhere else, I'm grinding. (goes back to playing game)
    Player: ......
    WK: ......
    Player: ......
    WK: Are you still here?
    Player: Um... I guess I'll be going...

You leave Wolf Kanno to play his game. You notice Psychotic from Class 2B is humping your leg.

Player: What the smurf?!

What action will you take?
    Scream and yell "rape!"
    Smite him
    -> Kill it with fire

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I worked as a writer for an online browser based game for about 4 years. Was good fun, the game was primarily text with an image based interface. A major part of my job wasn't just writing descriptions for items and monsters it was actually about designing the quest arcs and everything like that. It was time consuming but good fun, I loved the ability I had as the chief writer to go "well, lets have this arc for humans, this for the dwarves, that arc then coincides with this elvish arc here and all the while conflicts directly against the orc, goblin and darkelf arcs there!" and then get stuck in writing. We actually had an image which was like a spiders web of all the different quest arcs and where they intersected with explicit quests. I felt like I could really make a difference and I also was the first developer to make a quest system for non-combat characters and also repeatable quests simply designed to relieve the game of it's overburden of items and gold. In essence I was trying to construct a living, breathing world which actually seemed to have a stable economy.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Oh you have to finish this game now.
    I got some concept art done. That was as far as I got though. I was just going to do it and SURPRISE dating sim! But now I'm too lazy and learning flash, doing the art work, and writing a script is far too much work. Maybe ill get back to it... One day.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I started working on an RPG that involved people I knew in high school. I had pretty much the whole plot mapped out, every character, every area, and bosses too. I even came up with names for the ultimate weapon and magic attacks for each character, and found midis for what I wanted each person's theme song to be based off of.

Each character had control of a different element, with the exception of the main (9 characters total for fire/ice/wind/earth/lightning/water/light/dark). The story involved a multiple-layered world and a WoB/WoR type split where you lose all your characters at some point and must go find them. There was a love story, but it wasn't the focus, and had a tragic ending (that in fact was the climax of the first section of the game).

The ability system was like FFIX where you learn abilities from your equipment. The elemental magic could only be learned by specific characters but generic abilities like Steal and HP+10% could be learned by all characters and only a few could be active at a time. Almost exactly like FFIX. Thing is, I came up with all this about 15 years ago, long before FFIX even came out. Square stole my idea!

I actually got far enough to have the first 25% of the game scripted, dialogue and all, but no programming, since I was just a kid. The game was called Dangerous Wonders, which I picked because it was a generic fantasy name like 'Final Fantasy' or 'Star Ocean' or whatever. I even had the sequel started, which was a completely different concept set in a futuristic world. Now I wonder if I still have all my old DW files somewhere.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was a writer for a planned MMO project that ended up never taking off, but I like to think I took the backstory from "Terrible!" to merely "Poor!" Aside from that I've derped around trying to come up with some PnP rules, but I honestly don't have enough experience as a PnP player to actually do much there.

Everything else is just ideas. I have a very good one I think I could make, but I've decided not to pursue learning what I needed to know for the time being, I've got enough to worry about with this book that I'm never going to be satisfied with.

I've used RPG Maker and that's it. I suppose learning Game Maker could be an enjoyable and rewarding experience also.

Does anyone suppose there's enough interest for an indie game development subforum?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Does anyone suppose there's enough interest for an indie game development subforum?
    I wish. There's certainly enough people who've made or are making the attempt, but how much you want to bet the apathy would creep in a week later and such a subforum was left deader than the video game music section?

As far as personal projects go myself and two other friends made this one game for Windows Phone 7, I did all the art whilst they programmed, and we had a friendly fellow do some music for us.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

No no

Wait

Ok

The next incarnation of Eizon...is a videogame

there was a picture here

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Back during the time I worked with Flash a lot, I worked on copious amounts of unfinished game engines and gadgets. I did submit a few "finished" ones to Newgrounds:

Flee! - School project
    Candy Man - Made an engine for pushing balls around and threw together a quick game around it. In hindsight it didn't turn out all that well...
    Xmas Games Collection - Made one of the games ("Santa's Little Sorter") for this collection. My brother made the graphics.

There are a few other interactive thingies on there but they aren't really games, so.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post

No no

Wait

Ok

The next incarnation of Eizon...is a videogame
    YES

Never really got past futzing around in RPG Maker. Nowaday, I just stick to playing other people's games as I know I'll never get myself motivated to make a complete game myself, let alone one that is good enough that other people may want to play it.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh god. I have no idea how many projects I started and ultimately scrapped. Like Psychotic, I find the worst thing to be making maps for a game. So tedious and boring.

My fondest memories were of my two projects of remaking Final Fantasy X with voice acting, and a game version of the Scream movie. So much potential they had.

Now that I'm in a full time job, there's no way I could ever make a game, if I couldn't finish it as a lazy student, there's no way I can finish it now.