Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever play in an arcade?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ZOMG! Did you ever play in an arcade?

I grew up being left alone in malls and family funplexes with an arcade always close at hand so it's a part of gaming culture that is near and dear to me but I'm curious to know if anyone else had similar experiences of losing weekly allowances to to get to the next stage of Capcom's 1942, or play through six-man X-Men the Arcade Game or hell even doing a little ski ball and turning in tickets for cheap prizes you could have bought at half the price it took to earn the proper amount of tickets?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm from the 80s, of course I did.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

So did I. From about 4th-8th grade, we'd have a class trip to Enchanted Castle every year. It was such a blast.

Would sometimes go to Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese w/ my cousins, where my Uncle would drink a pitcher of beer while we ran around playing games.

There were some places in my old neighborhood as well. Not as big or varied as Enchanted Castle/Showbiz/CEC, but they had some great games as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd usually play an arcade game at either the Pizza Hut, Walmart, or the theater. I can remember playing Mega Man, Area 51, Gauntlet Legends, one of the old X-Men games, and Crazy Taxi. I always loved the racing games in particular because it came with a car seat and steering wheel.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

In norway, like once in an actual arcade. I didn't grow up in a town that had one, and the closest town/city big enough to have one was like 4 hours away. I usually play on any stray arcade machine I find in various obscure locations.

In Japan, I went to arcade halls like every other day. I crushed some swedish guy in soul calibur 3 there.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

There was a Cyber Station in the mall near me I used to spend almost every day in -- it was awesome.
    There was a whack-a-mole game I used to cheat in, the X-Men and Simpsons arcade games I blew too many quarters in, a T2: The Arcade Game machine I was terribad at, MK 1-3 machines, hmmm . . . there were several racing games I never bothered to try too, which is too bad thinking about it now. There was a lot more stuff, but I don't remember the other machines that well.

OH!

There were Metal Slug 2 and Raiden II machines too! Those weren't in the arcade, but in the mini-arcade Wal-Mart had in the entryway. Those were awesome!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The question alone makes me feel old.

Yes, I've played in arcades. Chuck E. Cheeses are actually pretty nice around here, actually. Well maintained machines for a quarter each... most arcades are way too expensive these days. I haven't been to Nickel Nickel in a decade or so, but that place was pretty great.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course I played in arcades before. There was one at the mall which had some good games, but sadly, like many others, it disappeared.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

We have a Gatti Town, which is basically a Chuck E. Cheese for all age groups and also they have bumper cars and the bumper cars can spin in place and they were awesome. When I was in the eighth grade for our graduation we had a lock-in party where everyone got $20 in credits and the bumper cars were free all day and I was in heaven.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to always play in the Pizza Street arcade as a kid. We had a lot of soccer parties there. They didn't have much there, but they did have Metal Slug for a while, which was fun.

Chuck E. Cheese was also something I went to occasionally for other people's birthdays. I always played a Ninja Turtles game there.

There's also a Cool Crest by my house where I used to play DDR in middle school. It was a sorta big arcade, but didn't have very many games that interested me strangely enough. I always just went there for mini golf.

Nowadays, I sometimes go to Power Play, which is a huge arcade that has lots of fantastic arcade cabinets both new and old. I need to go there again soon.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    +1. I remember quite liking the Simpsons arcade game. One of the few licensed video games I remember fondly. Turtles in Time was p. good as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I also like playing Street Fighter II & Mortal Kombat in the arcades, even though I could never get used to doing the moves w/ a joystick.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I also like playing Street Fighter II & Mortal Kombat in the arcades, even though I could never get used to doing the moves w/ a joystick.
    Those games were awesome. I never got to play them at the arcade, though. Just the home console versions.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Pizza Hut was always a great place for cool arcade games like The Simpsons, TMNT, or X-Men. When I was in high school there was a mall that had a pretty big arcade. I spent as much time there as I could playing all sorts of things, like Gauntlet. Also the horror shooter games. Two friends and I used to own those games, after putting a $20 in the change machine and swapping out every time someone died.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The Simpsons, x-men, avengers, street fighter 2, mortal kombat... These are what gobbled every quarter I could find. Our mall had an arcade called Pocket Change and my mom would drop us off there for a couple hours and go shopping.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum