Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Top Video Game Characters

This thread is meant as kind of a half discussion/half lists thing. I'll be listing my favourite video game characters, but it won't be in a particular order, since I'll be adding some as I play new games over the next few months.

So I would love to have others join in and list some of their favourites and why they like them so much. It can be as many characters as you want, you can do it in a list, you can do a slow reveal over a few weeks, or just list a bunch now. Characters are my favourite parts of video games so I would love to hear from others on who they like and why. It might even get me to try some new games.

So list em and I'll start revealing mine shortly!

First one that prominently comes to mind is Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. One of the best developed female characters of that generation. Probably even better than the Tomb Raider reboot of that generation. She was vulnerable and capable at the same time. She was so human. She was so sarcastic and caring. I was completely charmed at the time :3

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

And she wore green lipstick. Girl was fashionable as trout.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

gonna have to third Jade

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    First one that prominently comes to mind is Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. One of the best developed female characters of that generation. Probably even better than the Tomb Raider reboot of that generation. She was vulnerable and capable at the same time. She was so human. She was so sarcastic and caring. I was completely charmed at the time :3
    I've never played that game. Sounds interesting :o

So I have 5 characters to start off my list

*Remeber, this is in NO PARTICULAR ORDER. I used a random list generator. The only differences will be for games I haven't played yet, I'll add characters if and when there's a character from those games I really liked. Also, my absolute favourite will be saved for last.

So here we go, let's start things off:

Lenna Charlotte Tycoon (Final Fantasy V):

In game use: Lenna, like every character, can equip a multitude of jobs, making her role whatever you want it to be.

Why I like her: I think because she is probably the closest thing I would be in game. She is emotional, but caring. She risks her life for the dragons, something I would do in a heartbeat. She always cares about those around her, but she doesn't really stand out to most people either, kind of falling in the background. But for her selfless and kind nature, she is one of my favourites!

Hix (Suikoden I & II):

In game use: In the first game, Hix is a very average fighter type. In the second game, he is also a very average fighter type, but with a rune on his sword that increases his attack power every turn

Why I like him: Hix is an absolute darling. He cares so much about his crazy girlfriend and is willing to go to incredible lengths for her. He isn't the brightest, falling for some terrible acting when the aforementioned girlfriend tricks him in to believing she has some made up disease, but his heart is in the right place.

Iku (Suikoden III):

In game use: Iku is a support character who heals your characters slightly after battle.

Why I like her: I like Iku because she is sweet and dedicated. She takes care of her cold as ice boyfriend, she's always polite, and she stands up for what she believes in. Also, after battle healing is cool >.>

And I like her hair.

Porom (Final Fantasy IV, The After Years):

In game use: Porom is a white mage, meaning her primary purpose is to heal. Healing is always a good thing.

Why I like her: Porom is just precious. She's a powerful White Mage who embarks on a journey to save the world AT FIVE. I was still struggling to reach the toaster at that age. I was happy to see her back in The After Years, all grown up and practically in charge of a whole town. She's a very competent young lady.

Penelo (Final Fantasy XII, Revenant Wings):

In game use: Penelo can be anything you want her to be thanks to the license board system. I personally made her a white mage, but whatever floats your boat.

Why I like her: She's spunky, caring, and sweet, if not a little overprotective. Like Vaan, she has hopes and dreams, but unlike Vaan, she takes her immediate responsibilities a bit more seriously. She was often his voice of reason. I just enjoyed having her around

So there are the first 5. Stay tuned for more later/tomorrow

And keep posting your own favourites.

Also, please let me know if the images are weird. They were acting weird in the preview

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That image of Penelo is of Tidus :o

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

:o Which one?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

Penelo (Final Fantasy XII, Revenant Wings):

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fixed, I think

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Next 5!

Fina (Skies of Arcadia):

In game use: Fina starts out as one of the weaker characters physically, but she has very high magic stats and MP. She's great with healing or using other magical attacks, and her special moves can add positive status effects to help heal, or remove positive status effects on enemies.

Why I like her: Fina is a sweetheart. She feels a bit awkward at first, but warms up to her friends who are very accepting of her. She's quiet and demure, but she still sticks up for others. She feels bad if she offends anyone and she tries really hard to be a good friend.

Rosa Joanna Farrell (Final Fantasy IV, The After Years):

In game use: In both games, Rosa is a White Mage, meaning her primary role is healing. She can also be an archer as well, making her an adequate attacker.

Why I like her: I like Rosa because I think she's a strong person. She cares about Cecil, she cares about Kain, and she always puts in an effort to help them, even when they try and ditch her to go to the moon. She's well spoken and polite and she was also great with Rydia when they first met. Overall just a really nice lady.

Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening):
    Richt.jpg

In game use: Ricken is mostly a mage like character. He is good with longer distance fighting. He quickly became one of my best characters, being able to take a hit better than most of my mages and deal a devastating amount of damage in return.

Why I like him: Ricken is pretty spunky, but still caring. He's pretty open and honest about how he feels, even if how he feels is like he's being treated like a child. He goes out of his way to prove himself and he stands up for his friend when she's in trouble.

Elize Lutus (Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2):

In game use: Elize uses dark spirit arts and healing mostly. I've always used her as the primary healer. Also linking with her allows for Teepo to drain some HP and TP and give it to you. She also has excellent magic defense.

Why I like her: Elize is one of the nicest characters ever.... sort of. In the first game she lacks confidence and has trouble dealing with people and as such she can say mean things when she doesn't really mean them. But when villagers have thrown rocks at her and treated her like scum and she still waves goodbye to them when she leaves, you know she has a big heart. By the second game, Elize grows more confident in herself and gets calmer and more secure in who she is.

Robo (Chrono Trigger):

In game use: Robo is pretty versatile. He can take a lot of hits and deal a lot of damage, and he can also do some healing. He's slow, but very useful in battle.

Why I like him: Robo has some of the most touching moments in game. Like with his friends trying to destroy him, and femrobo... He also sticks around the past to help plant stuff and wears adorable bandanas while doing so. His relationship with Lucca is touching and heartwarming.

That's all for now

Arrow

Hmmmm . . . I like this idea.
    But, I have so many favorites, so where to start is going to be rough. T_T
    I also think I'll have to narrow it down to one from each series, just so my list doesn't end up plugged with SNK characters.

Anyway, first up and representing the Star Ocean franchise:

Maria Traydor (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)

Brevity is not a specialty of mine, but I'll try to keep these nice and short.

I like Maria because she's a strong female character that isn't subverted by the developer's need to make sex appeal part of her primary appeal. She dresses in a sane manner, is both forward and strong willed without being foolish or rude, and doesn't have some crippled emotional side that requires she lean ever so heavily on my character for support. She's also a complete BEAST in combat.

Next up, representing Fatal Fury:

Rick Strowd (Fatal Fury: Real Bout 2)

pict04.jpg

Rick is a pretty unknown character, only having appeared in one arcade title, but that doesn't change how much of a blast he is to play as. His normals are often very quick and flow together oh so well, and there's a nice bit of trickery in his specials, such as a slow unblockable and evade-strike attacks, as well as a few gap closing dash specials. It's just too bad SNK decided to scrap him and give his moveset/style to Vanessa instead of importing him into KoF. (though I guess there's no real question why).

Rick-sprite1.gif Vanessa2000.gif

I will think of more shortly.
    Last edited by Rez09; 11-12-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Here are some of mine, however there's no particular order.

Luigi

Mario's little brother often gets put on the back burner by Miyamoto and the other nerds creating things @ Nintendo. However, he's starred in a few games of his own, from the forgettable Mario is Missing to the epic Luigi's Mansion. On the Wii U, he's taken over w/ his own game, Super Luigi WiiU and by being hardcore on the road in Mario Kart 8.

Toad

What can I say about this Toad-ally awesome fun guy? He's a mushroom. He's a person. He's also one of the best characters to use in Super Mario Bros. 2, where he can pick a veggie as fast as Lindsay Lohan picks a drug dealer. He's also starring in his very own adventure on the WiiU.

T.G. Cid

Probably the baddest of all the Cids in the Final Fantasy series, Cidolfus Orlandeau is probably the most "broken" character outside of a Street Fighter game. He starts with the Excalibur, which gives Auto-Haste. He has every sword skill the other advanced knights can use. There's a reason why he's called the Thunder God.

Balthier

One part Han Solo, another part James Bond. This sky pirate nearly steals the "Bloody Pimp" title from Bartz. Having the baddest airship since the Blackjack, he and his partner Fran sail the skies not only in search of treasure, but to escape their respective pasts. He's handy w/ a gun & quick w/ his tongue, both skills he needs to evade the dastardly bounty hunters Ba'Gamnan and his scaly siblings.

Lyndis (Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken)

My favorite character in gaming. So well developed. So much depth, so much development. Runs the gamut from strong to vulnerable to supportive, and everything in between.

So glad to see her again in Awakening. Pity it was only as an Einherjar.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Ayla

So you've got a game where you go all over time and you have characters with katanas and guns and rocket punch and magic. But not Ayla. She punches everything with her bare hands. Some dinosaur, punch it! A magical woman man, punch it! A robot, punch it! A miniature artificial sun, PUNCH IT! A planet eating asteroid from space, throw Crono at it! Also, she puts on a disco with the robot.

Chie

You know how I liked Ayla for punching everything? Well Chie kicks everything! Sometimes really, really hard.

And there was that one time in Arena where she gave up investigating and went for steak. I'd do the same. On a more serious note. I liked her character arc the best. She started off purposeless and trained for no reason. And the running off and not thinking things through. But by the end, she found her purpose and she wanted to protect everyone. Including the main character and I loved that. It's usually the other way around, with the guy protecting the girl. And it shows up game play wise too.

Ryona

She's a masochistic ballerina. What more needs to be said? Seriously though, look at those guns. That's a weird weapon. And is one of the funnest characters to play as. A lot of her attacks involve spinning. And during her school arc, you get her back story and reason for what she and her sister are doing. Even after it turns out what they're doing might not be right and she points it out to her sister. It's too late now and she goes with her sister out of love.

Link mostly WW

Wink Waker is my favorite Zelda game. Sure it's pretty and being a pirate is awesome and everything. But it's the Link that makes it my favorite. There's just something about his journey. He starts off as just some kid on an island. But because his little sister was kidnapped he risked everything for her. And he had no respect. But then he started traveling the Great Sea, helping the locals and everyone started coming around. He was able to pull the Master Sword. It was weakened, but that did not stop him, he went and powered it up. And he earned the Triforce of Courage. Also, he had the best final fight with Ganon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My top video game characters list is absolutely dominated by visual novel characters. I guess in the interest of any sort of discussion I'll leave them out.

Rikku - Final Fantasy X/X-2

Why I like her

Rikku is a really good example of a typically-carefree-yet-serious-when-it's-called-for character. For a lot of the pilgrimage she manages to raise the party's moods beyond what they could normally muster. At the same time, she's as determined as everyone else, albeit for a different purpose. Her struggle is well executed and I can easily relate to her.

In-Game Use

Rikku is ridiculously powerful if you combine Steal and Use well. Her items totally outclass a lot of other characters' abilities. Coupled with her high speed, and access to Al Bhed Potions from Bikanel onwards, and her immensely versatile Mix overdrive, Rikku is definitely one of the most useful characters in Final Fantasy X.

In Final Fantasy X-2, there's not really much of a difference between her, Yuna and Paine. The few differences there are is where Rikku usually ends up being worse than her comrades.