Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV

Default Final Fantasy XV

"Find out why fans and critics are calling FINAL FANTASY XV one of the most memorable games of 2016. With over 5 million copies sold on opening day, the latest installment in this epic franchise moves the needle with its gorgeous graphics, immersive new battle system, and captivating story."

It's not really a surprise to me. Yes, FFXV does have its share of flaws, but it's still an ambitious project none the less that still obtained success beyond financial status. For me, it was a nice change of pace from seeing a lot of the other games that didn't really try and push the envelope, but preferred to do things safe.
    Last edited by FinalxxSin; 02-06-2017 at 02:55 AM.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

What's pushing the envelope about FFXV?

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    What's pushing the envelope about FFXV?
    Tech side there is Luminous Engine which has been able to produce some of the best lighting effects thus far this gen. There's various tech videos out there showing how the Chocobros stay in sync typically with Noctis while still moving freely enough to not just be robots. Here's an example of a tech vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsGdJuHWDI

- Pitioss Dungeon tells a story through the means of platforming and puzzles, something that isn't common in the gaming market. Atm though, there is no solid detailed info on what that said story is, but there are some good theories out there with what it is.

- FFXV as a game has a good amount of western influence, while still maintaining some Japanese aspects. A lot of RPGs in general are very extreme one way or the other.

- Brotherhood has not been pushed a lot in games, so it's refreshing to see it as a focus on a much larger scale vs. many other titles that easily give off a "one man army vibe".

- Most projects don't get a short anime and CGI film. FFXV pushes to tell some things through subtle things instead of the standard "in your face, here I am". It's part of the reason a decent chunk of the banter in the game can be missed completely for example.

- FFXV always pushes for a dynamic experience beyond the more standard time of day and weather systems. Prompto taking pictures, in many cases, becomes reflective of moments that would be extremely hard to replicate on film again by the same person or anybody else. I don't expect everybody to agree with such notions.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    Tech side there is Luminous Engine which has been able to produce some of the best lighting effects thus far this gen. There's various tech videos out there showing how the Chocobros stay in sync typically with Noctis while still moving freely enough to not just be robots. Here's an example of a tech vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsGdJuHWDI
    Technical advancement isn't really "pushing the envelope" because it's expected of each successive game in a series, unless it's a substantial increase compared to the rest of either its respective genre or the industry as a whole. A game that pushes the envelope in this area is something like Uncharted 4 (some of the best facial animations in gaming history). With respect to open world games, this game isn't even technically as good as The Witcher 3 which was released over 18 months before XV came out.

- Pitioss Dungeon tells a story through the means of platforming and puzzles, something that isn't common in the gaming market. Atm though, there is no solid detailed info on what that said story is, but there are some good theories out there with what it is.
    I'm not sure how much of a positive this is, considering you seem to suggest that the story told in the dungeon is unclear.

Aside from that, the Pitioss Dungeon is entirely optional and non-essential to the story. Few players will ever even experience this. I'm not sure how it tells a story through platforming and puzzles, because I've never played it. So I can't exactly say what it does.

FFXV as a game has a good amount of western influence, while still maintaining some Japanese aspects. A lot of RPGs in general are very extreme one way or the other.
    This isn't "pushing the envelope." This is Square Enix attempting to cater to modern gaming trends by making their game open world similar to other successful titles like The Witcher 3. I personally view this as a very, very negative aspect of FFXV. It makes the game feel as though it has no identity.

Brotherhood has not been pushed a lot in games, so it's refreshing to see it as a focus on a much larger scale vs. many other titles that easily give off a "one man army vibe".
    External media about the game =/= the game itself. Most games don't have films or anime because, unlike FFXV, they have a complete story. These materials usually come AFTER a game is released because the story the game told was worth telling through another medium (or elaborated upon). You should not need to watch an anime series and a film to understand the game's characters or story.

FFXV always pushes for a dynamic experience beyond the more standard time of day and weather systems. Prompto taking pictures, in many cases, becomes reflective of moments that would be extremely hard to replicate on film again by the same person or anybody else. I don't expect everybody to agree with such notions.
    I'm not sure what you define as "dynamic." In the case of Prompto taking pictures, I agree with you there. That's actually one of the game's greatest strengths. However, it is such a small part that it doesn't compensate for all the things XV gets wrong.

I really don't intend for this to be a circlejerk over how disappointing XV was. I do have genuine complaints that I think I'll articulate at some point.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Scruffy, by Brotherhood i don't think Final Sin was talking about the anime... i think they were talking about the feeling of the 4 boys as a unit so close they may as well be brothers, kinda like Police Partners or Military Brothers in Arms, but a bit deeper than that... the way they work as a team, interact, fight together, play together, & bust each others chops frequently...

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I am not going to engage with you anymore beyond this post. Any future responses in regards to what I have typed I will ignore and skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Scruffy, by Brotherhood i don't think Final Sin was talking about the anime... i think they were talking about the feeling of the 4 boys as a unit so close they may as well be brothers, kinda like Police Partners or Military Brothers in Arms, but a bit deeper than that... the way they work as a team, interact, fight together, play together, & bust each others chops frequently...
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood. For what it's worth I still don't really agree with that.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

External media about the game =/= the game itself. Most games don't have films or anime because, unlike FFXV, they have a complete story. These materials usually come AFTER a game is released because the story the game told was worth telling through another medium (or elaborated upon). You should not need to watch an anime series and a film to understand the game's characters or story.
    This part I vehemently disagree with. If a content creator thinks that a multimedia experience spanning more than just a game is the best way to write the story they envision they have every right to do it that way. The only thing that could get in your way is a faulty preconception that the "game must be complete in and of itself" which is completely arbitrary in the first place.

And the way they did it actually worked out pretty well if you ask me. The anime series already got me to care about the main characters while leaving the game free to drop me straight into the action. Meanwhile the movie tells a part of the overall story the main game isn't actually about, and sets the stakes pretty well in advance if you watch it before playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    This part I vehemently disagree with. If a content creator thinks that a multimedia experience spanning more than just a game is the best way to write the story they envision they have every right to do it that way. The only thing that could get in your way is a faulty preconception that the "game must be complete in and of itself" which is completely arbitrary in the first place.

And the way they did it actually worked out pretty well if you ask me. The anime series already got me to care about the main characters while leaving the game free to drop me straight into the action. Meanwhile the movie tells a part of the overall story the main game isn't actually about, and sets the stakes pretty well in advance if you watch it before playing the game.
    I don't understand how you could possibly disagree. A game's story should be complete from beginning to end. You should be able to play a game, understand it from start to finish, without requiring any other material. Other games like Halo 4 suffered from this because they introduced certain elements and characters like the Didact assuming you already knew who they were. Yet he was never introduced in any of the Halo games prior to 4. You had to read some of the Halo books to understand who he was and why he was there. Because I hadn't done so, his presence was jarring and confusing.

Final Fantasy XV suffers from this in multiple areas. The most damning evidence of this is that the game includes a cutscene from Kingsglaive showing Regis' death, yet it has no context or backstory in the game. It seems utterly out of place and if you hadn't watched the film, you would have no idea what happened.

No idea how expecting a game's story to be coherent and complete is "arbitrary."

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because it's possible for some people to see a choice to tell parts of a story through different media as a stylistic, or even artistic one, rather than a cash grab. Karifean's point is totally valid, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Because it's possible for some people to see a choice to tell parts of a story through different media as a stylistic, or even artistic one, rather than a cash grab. Karifean's point is totally valid, imo
    That's fine, but the end result is that the core product (the game) is incomplete when experienced in isolation of the others. If you cannot experience a complete story by playing the game, then the game's story is not finished. If you want to support unfinished stories, that's on you.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can argue it being unfinished based on the story that is contained within the entirety of the FFXV universe, i.e. the stuff they want to address with the DLC and free updates. Supporting the FFXV Universe is not supporting an incomplete story. It's a story that you can expand on yourself, and the best option from the point of view of the creator - but if someone doesn't care about the backstory of the characters or the goings-on in Insomnia, they can skip that and just jump right into the action.

It's a weird approach, but one that isn't necessarily bad in its own right. The fact that there was a vision involving splitting this over media doesn't make it incomplete.

I don't understand how you could possibly disagree. A game's story should be complete from beginning to end.
    I suppose you also hate it whenever a person says "oh, by the way: (insert info that was not in previous statement)" and that you never corrected yourself or expanded on your own explanations for things.