Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is something you like/love about this game that other people hate? (X Edition)

Default What is something you like/love about this game that other people hate? (X Edition)

I've seen this thread for other games so I thought I make make one for X. Pretty self-explanatory topic.

First thing that comes to mind for me is Tidus. For some reason the vast majority of the Final Fantasy community hate him with a passion, yet I sincerely believe he's the best written protagonist in the series (at least out of the ones I've played); yes he whines a lot but it's not the only thing he does, he acts upbeat and cheery even when everyone else is feeling down, and always tries to keep the group moving forward through thick and thin. We finally get a character who has a broad range of emotions and character flaws, and for all intents and purposes actually feels like a real human being, yet he's even more hated than even some of the more notorious characters the franchise has to offer. Why that's so is beyond me, then again this the same community that praises Crisis Core like it's one of the better games in the franchise so maybe I'm just out of touch with the fandom hivemind or something.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Love is a strong word, even like. But the laughing scene isn't that bad. It's intentionally supposed to be cringey. That's the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Love is a strong word, even like. But the laughing scene isn't that bad. It's intentionally supposed to be cringey. That's the point.
    It wasn't even that bad of a scene, and people always take it out of context and act like it's the worst thing ever.

Um . . . Blitzball, I guess? Enough people like it, but most people I know don't, so it should count.

1. Wakka. He doesn't get the hate that Tidus does, but enough people seem to dislike him. He is actually my favorite character along with Auron, who is kind of his opposite. Auron already knows the deal with Yevon and the Al Bhed and it was interesting to see everything come to light through Wakka's eyes as a devout follower.

2. Blitzball. I understand how it's frustrating in the beginning and boring later on, but as i mentioned in another thread, it does have that sweet spot that is SO fun.

3. Linearity. It had enough RPG staples to get away with it. Towns, side quests, mini games, and solid gameplay and story.

Blitzball. It's very hard at first because your team is so bad that you lose basically every single time. However once you go around and start to hire the strongest players it gets much better and rewarding. Eventually you get to a point where you just rofl-stomp every other team like nothing lol
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Tidus. I've seen many people complain about him, but I really like him, he's one of my favorite FF main characters. Of course, he's emotional, but I don't think it's a bad thing at all. He's also very brave, and funny too. I love his personality.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I also really like Tidus... well, okay I find him pretty unlikeable at the start, but I do feel like people jump at any excuse to hate on him. I think his relationship with his parents is one of the most engaging character dynamics in the entire series, and it's tragic that Tidus's mother doesn't have a bigger focus in his backstory. I also think his narration adds a lot; it made me like Tidus even when his character would say or do something stupid.

As for X-2, I like the idea of a completion bonus, even if I think it was executed poorly.
    Returners Represent!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I love X, and still play it a ton.
    Loves for X:

Wakka - Never understood why people don't like him ya? In the beginning he seems a little spaced and stubborn yet as his story unfolds you see what drove him to that. When his brother died and they way he died you see he was looking for information and his place in Spira. He went to the natural path of religion to try and find answers and make sense of everything. Plus he is a power house in battle so like um ya. He kicks Aurons but like nothing end game.

Blitzball - Teach us how to Blitz! I loved Blitzball and it was my favourite mini game of the series. The Aurochs are not so great at the beginning but a few of them turn into something great if you just take some time. For instance Datto is the fastest Blitz Player in the game, he has a good shot, and I always keep him on my squad. Datto is a MVP that breaks the game if people keep him on the team. Plus even with all the original Aurochs I still end up winning and rolling through teams. The only replacement I use is Letty for either Brother or Wakka.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Catcher Chocobo, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    That so many actual fans of the game didn't understand that scene makes me question the overall intelligence of its fanbase, but I'm kind of notorious for not being overwhelmingly fond of the game itself so I guess I have a bias.

Well...

I liked Blitzball... a lot and played it a trout ton to get Wakka's gear, Tidus was full of cringe moment but he eventually warmed up to me, the linear part of how it's a straight path (with it's turns and such) from one town to the next, or one shrine to the next was a little awkward but I like how it played the story out and explained the religion of Yevon.

What I didn't like was Seymour... he's a punk, I'm glad I killed him dozens of times.
    - I'm getting sick of this! Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you! - Sabin (FFVI)

- Shut up! You spoony Bard! - Tella (FFIV)

I don't even think Tidus was whiney. Is he whiney because he voiced his frustration at being torn from his home and thrown into Spira against his will?

I think he held up pretty damn well tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arti View Post
    I don't even think Tidus was whiney. Is he whiney because he voiced his frustration at being torn from his home and thrown into Spira against his will?

I think he held up pretty damn well tbh.
    Not to mention the emotionally abusive Father and neglectful Mother.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

People don't hate this, but there is something I found under appreciated.

In the beginning of the game when Tidus comes out of his boathouse to sign autographs you can talk to some girls and they say they'll be sitting "east block in the front row, fifth from the right".

Later on when Tidus is describing to Yuna the experience of Blitzball in Zanarkand, he references that exact seat and says he has to be focused on the game instead of the distractions around him.

I just really like that a throwaway line was referenced later on in the game to describe an experience in Zanarkand. Especially because we as the audience get to spend like 10 minutes there, so when describing Blitzball to the only person who believes he's from where he says he's from, it's an experience that we remember, as well.