Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Auron Act as Though His Arm is in a Sling?

Banned

Default Why Does Auron Act as Though His Arm is in a Sling?

At first I thought he'd broken it while he was doing that adventure ten years ago, but then I notice how he uses both arms pretty often.
    So why does he pretend that it's broken or whatever?

It's something ronins do. A ronin is a samurai without a master, and keeping your arm in a sling is a symbol of that.

Auron originally had some association with the Warrior Monks (I believe he was one), but ended up leaving, then joining Braska for his pilgrimage. After Braska died summoning the Final Aeon, Auron was now technically without a master. This of course leaves a hole in the plot you could drive a truck through: Why didn't he unsling it after becoming Yuna's guardian?

FFX clearly has no actual samurai, but it seems that they're trying to follow the overall principle.

Banned

Alright, thanks.

Sometimes I actually pretend having a broken arm, because I really like having it lying around like that; it's pretty comfortable.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    It's something ronins do. A ronin is a samurai without a master, and keeping your arm in a sling is a symbol of that.

Auron originally had some association with the Warrior Monks (I believe he was one), but ended up leaving, then joining Braska for his pilgrimage. After Braska died summoning the Final Aeon, Auron was now technically without a master. This of course leaves a hole in the plot you could drive a truck through: Why didn't he unsling it after becoming Yuna's guardian?

FFX clearly has no actual samurai, but it seems that they're trying to follow the overall principle.
    the jug he carries around is also to be symbolic of that.... i think. im not sure but i remember there being a few things about that.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Auron spends the entire game feeling "not worthy" because he let Braska and Jecht die. That is his ronin cross to bear and that is why, if anything, he would only stop wearing his arm on a sling after he defeated Sin and freed Jecht.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Auron's the best character in the world. That's why.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Just for another perspective. He could have sustained a majority of his lethal injury on his left side, and since it wasn't meant to heal, may have not healed correctly, thus restraining his arm a bit. Or causing him pain .

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Nope, he uses his arm just fine in battle. It is a ronin symbol. Their honor is "damaged" because they allowed their master to die so they walk around like they have a damaged sword arm.

Banned

It's actually very comfortable to be walking around with one of your arms like that, at least if it feels rested.

Try it.

Unfortunate side effect: That arm will get weaker if you keep doing that.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

When he became Yunas guardian it was out of a promise to another person, not out of choice as much as it could have been, it was something that had to be done. Also the nature of Braska would tell me that he didnt see Auron as inferior and the three (jecht included) where friends and not a master-defender relationship.

I suppose his faith in Yevon has something to do with it too, once he learnt the truth it destroyed his faith.

And he did take a nasty tumble against yunalesca too!
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsour View Post
    I suppose his faith in Yevon has something to do with it too, once he learnt the truth it destroyed his faith.
    So out of curiousity... do we see him with his arm in a sling after we learn the truth about the Yevon church?
    My personal blog - Awareness and Geekiness.

Zanshaa Docks - a brand new geek forum, up and running!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    So out of curiousity... do we see him with his arm in a sling after we learn the truth about the Yevon church?
    Yes, he learned it before he died, no ? He saw Braska die in vain and knows Jecht turned into Sin.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    Yes. He already knew everything that was going to happen up to the point before you fight Yunalesca where it came down to Yunas decision.

I read a bit about Ronin, they where also hired as mercenaries, which is similar to Aurons role in a way.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

He knew that the guardian who turned into the Final Aeon would die, and he knew that Braska would die - this is common knowledge for all Yevonites. He had no knowledge of the machina deep down in the Bevelle, neither did he know of the corrupt Maesters. So I disagree with the statement that Auron knew the truth about the Yevon church prior to Yuna's pilgrimage.
    My personal blog - Awareness and Geekiness.

Zanshaa Docks - a brand new geek forum, up and running!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?