Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Party

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post

Fun fact though, I have an appointment with my sociology professor next week and one of the things we will discuss is how much people would bond or not bond if they found themselves in this sort of situation

Sociology for life! Woo, sociology!

But no, there's probably some group/social psychology thrown in there as well.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I'm only going to tackle the talking during fights bit. Less is more, absolutely. However, the complete silence during fights is most definitely not fitting to the party as many are saying.

You don't have to be so bubbly or cute during fights, but in XII, Basch is a military man. You're telling me he wouldn't try to direct anyone in a fight. Fran and Balthier are super tight and fight together. They don't have strategies or anything to discuss in battle? Irl, when in battle, you communicate your strategy and execute. So complete silence is just eery.

Story wise, it took me a second playthrough of running location to location to feel like the story and character was continuous. Game was so open, I did so much stuff I couldn't even remember what I was doing at the next location because I was doing so many side quests in between. (A problem I've found in a lot of modern games - looking at you Elder scrolls)

Still, I do love this game and it's characters. It continues to move left on my signature every year, so I must like it lol.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    But no, there's probably some group/social psychology thrown in there as well.
    There definitely is but I don't have psychology this semester so a psych instructor is less accessible to me :P Really though I just had a few sociology discussions I wanted to have with her so I'll be asking about this aspect as well.

I do miss my psych prof though so I may stop by and say hi and ask her about this as well. I'm inclined to believe people would bond more easily in situations like this, but idk

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Odin View Post
    I'm only going to tackle the talking during fights bit. Less is more, absolutely. However, the complete silence during fights is most definitely not fitting to the party as many are saying.

You don't have to be so bubbly or cute during fights, but in XII, Basch is a military man. You're telling me he wouldn't try to direct anyone in a fight. Fran and Balthier are super tight and fight together. They don't have strategies or anything to discuss in battle? Irl, when in battle, you communicate your strategy and execute. So complete silence is just eery.

Story wise, it took me a second playthrough of running location to location to feel like the story and character was continuous. Game was so open, I did so much stuff I couldn't even remember what I was doing at the next location because I was doing so many side quests in between. (A problem I've found in a lot of modern games - looking at you Elder scrolls)

Still, I do love this game and it's characters. It continues to move left on my signature every year, so I must like it lol.
    I'll reiterate - Fran and Balthier would not talk during battle because it doesn't fit their relationship dynamic. After so many years of treasure hunting together, they probably communicate battle strategies solely through body language. And Basch isn't there to instruct people - he's protecting Ashe

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

We're going to disagree on this and that's fine. But non communication during battle with people you hardly know would wipe you, making them not really a great party to me. I wasn't goin after what you said Fynn, didn't even read it. Just responding to the OP.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, don't you worry I didn't take anything you said personally at all.

I guess sometimes I just come across as THAT person sometimes. Someone who just takes everything too seriously.

But I digress

Articles
    Blog Entries

I definitely see the benefits of a 'less is more' approach to character development. I definitely think characters talking too much would be a detriment, and in such a serious story, it could be jarring to hear characters engage in light conversation constantly. But then, the near lack of conversation whatsoever is equally jarring, at least to me.

For this "serious story" we had "HEY BUCKETHEAD! "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!" "I'm the leading man, who else?" and oodles more comedy.

Balthier's dialogue for half the game consists of pithy one-liners. Just have him bounce them off Fran during battle. Or bounce them off someone else. He's not used to being with anyone else. Have someone who won't put up with his smart talk, like Ashe.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    For this "serious story" we had "HEY BUCKETHEAD! "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!"
    Comedy or cringe? You decide.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean I was just wondering why anyone was buying that the 12 year-old paint-on ab kid was THE notorious Basch, but I had no problem with the scene other than that

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Obvs, they didn't think it was him. Vaan was just trying to stir trout up

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character