Thread: The Nicest Children in Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But you gotta admit it's ridiculous how she instantly hits it off with Kanami and just keeps repeating everything she says. It's like she's younger instead of older. Remember DAN takes place after the Golden epilogue.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    But you gotta admit it's ridiculous how she instantly hits it off with Kanami and just keeps repeating everything she says. It's like she's younger instead of older. Remember DAN takes place after the Golden epilogue.
    Yes, that's actually one of the things I didn't appreciate about P4: DAN. Nanako absolutely adored Yu, but only after a period of getting to know him. I think she first calls him 'Big Bro' in May, but doesn't really start showing affection in earnest until awhile later.

Skip to P4: DAN, and within a day of knowing Kanami, she's calling her 'big sis'. I suppose it is a way to show to the audience that Kanami can be trusted, because Nanako adores her, but it was poorly done. I'd rather it was handled differently.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I find this hard because I often feel like children are super idealized in media and it looks like the people who write them have never really interacted with children and seen how rude, weird, and random they all actually are, not to mention emotionally unstable and trigger-happy.

I mean, I liked Nanako fine, but she was still kind of too perfect, being nice to everyone, and doing the frickin' laundry at age six. She's still probably one of the best portrayals of a kid in Japanese popular media.
    Well my answer to who the "best-written" children are would've been way different, that's for sure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Let's see

Vivi, obviously
    Blitzball kid
    Ness from Earthbound seems pretty chill so far
    Alanis from Suikoden III
    Yuzu from Suikoden II
    Little Rydia
    POLOM!!
    Nanako from Persona
    Little Rorona even though she should be grown woman Rorona
    Charis from Tears to Tiara II
    Vivi again
    Elize from Tales of Xillia
    MOMO if she counts
    March from Eternal Sonata

Those are the ones I can think of right now!

Nanako is a good kid, but I agree, not very well written. Oliver from Ni No Kuni is a good choice. I'm honestly not sure what his age is or if he'd count but I'm surprised Carol from Vesperia wasn't getting more love here. Elize is a good answer too. Though she goes psycho sometimes she at least has some depth and growth and believability.

I know not many have had the pleasure but I put my vote in for most of the cast of Tales of Innocence. Its kinda like Avatar the Last Airbender, where you could probably replace the cast with just sheltered adults because of how believable and relatable the writing is. Its very well done. And there's three or four kids on the team and none of them get on my nerves. Which is crazy for a JRPG. In fact I adore most of the cast. Even the youngest of them
    Last edited by Vyk; 02-10-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Wow........didn't expect such in depth....whoah.....

The kids from Little Lamplight in Fallout 3.

Serious Answer: my adopted d;aughter Lucia in Skyrim. I wanted to adopt her ever since I first arrived in Whiterun. But noooo, the Arch-Mage's quarter didn't count as a house. Pft. But I got her in the end. First I had us living in a house I built out near Dawnstar because I liked snow. But then giants and bandits kept attacking and I figured she was lonely. So I moved my family to Windhelm instead.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I know this is t a thread about best written children It's just hard for me to take the idealized versions of children seriously, so most of the time I see nice children, I just think "FAAAAAAAKE"

Still, I love all the kids from FFTA. Which is great considering g it's almost an all-kid cast

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

all kids in fallout and elder scrolls shouldnt be near this list.

Hey now, Little Lamplight was a really cool, if smurfed up, place.

And to be fair, a good majority if the adoptable kids in Skyrim are pretty adorable

That starving homeless kid in Deus Ex off the boat at Battery Park. I always give him a candy bar and he tells me the code for the secret entry to the base. Clever boy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Even if I think children are rather too idealised, the inner paternal nature within me can't help but go all nurturing on them. Playing The Sims 3, one of my favourite experiences is raising children so that they get top grades and happiness.

I guess I'm an idealist, what can I say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Even if I think children are rather too idealised, the inner paternal nature within me can't help but go all nurturing on them. Playing The Sims 3, one of my favourite experiences is raising children so that they get top grades and happiness.

That's sweet
    I indulge my maternal instinct in The Sims 2

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

You can't really talk about badly written children in the Sims 3. There's no writing to speak of Still, the kids there are pretty well-done, I think.

And hey, you make me come across as some scary dude that doesn't want kids I just mean, how can I be nurturing toward something that is not a kid, but just an idealized vision created by someone who probably never had to deal with toddlers? I mean, I love kids, but having had a brother eight years my junior can really make you a bit jaded in that regard. I still can't wait to be a daddy anyway!