Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Game Development Thread

I think I was introduced to GameMaker (unless it was something else) by someone on these very forums about a year ago. I've still got the useless thing on my computer. It has a pretty loading screen that provides a false idea of what one can create using it, but aside from the preloaded character graphics and "access"-style layouts, I found nothing useful in it. I figured I just didn't understand how to use but, unfortunately, there is no help menu. I mean the option is up there on the tool bar, but there is no help menu to be accessed. It's all very annoying. If anyone knows what this is (I think it has to do with RPGs)...

Anyway, as I've already said, I still don't know what I want my project to develop into. I'd be happy with it being translated into pretty much any genre so that it can not only be experienced/enjoyed by an audience but also interacted with. I think the best options are TPS/FPS, Fighter, RPG, Action-Adventure...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I think I was introduced to GameMaker (unless it was something else) by someone on these very forums about a year ago. I've still got the useless thing on my computer. It has a pretty loading screen that provides a false idea of what one can create using it, but aside from the preloaded character graphics and "access"-style layouts, I found nothing useful in it. I figured I just didn't understand how to use but, unfortunately, there is no help menu. I mean the option is up there on the tool bar, but there is no help menu to be accessed. It's all very annoying. If anyone knows what this is (I think it has to do with RPGs)...
    I have the feeling you may be thinking of RPG Maker since it's similarly named, but really unrelated to GameMaker. GameMaker doesn't have things like pre-loaded graphics as far as I know (the free Lite version certainly doesn't anyway) and I found it's help files are quite useful for explaining the various functions it has. I've never used RPG Maker so I can't confirm for sure it's what you're thinking of, but it seems likely given the similar names, and I know it does come with pre-loaded graphics.

GameMaker is essentially just an engine with a slightly more friendly user interface than most making it pretty easy to learn and dive into.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Someone send Timekeeper a Mognet, he always enjoys smurfing about on Gamemaker and trout.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I gonna havta deleet at useless ing from my computer.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Got a player character with some movement controls up and running in all of 2 minutes just now. Trying to figure out the right tile size for the environments right now. I'm thinking 24x24 since the sprites are 16x24. I'll post the first attempts at my characters tomorrow since I'd like some feedback, particularly about colouring them. That's always been my weakness in every artistic endeavor ever.

Honestly, you're better off learning Unity...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except that I have no desire to work with 3D graphics. Unity simply was not made for 2D. So why would I use an engine which is far more complex than it needs to be for a task it doesn't even do very well?
    Last edited by Slothy; 08-23-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Someone just link me a RPG Maker download + quick tutorial. I need it for something.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Except that I have no desire to work with 3D graphics. Unity simply was not made for 2D. So why would I use an engine which is far more complex than it needs to be for a task it doesn't even do very well?
    It absolutely can be used as a 2D engine, and there are a lot of indie developers out there that praise it for those features.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry, but when I looked into it all I saw was people saying that it wasn't made for 2D and the simplest way to use it for 2D is to pretty much just use 3D graphics with a fixed camera to fake 2D.

So again, why would I waste my time right now making a simple project that I want to use sprite graphics with in an engine that isn't designed to make that as easy as possible, as opposed to an engine that was actually made with that in mind? It just feels a bit like I'm about to move to a new house and you're recommending I use a Ferrari to cart my furniture instead of a truck. Don't get me wrong, Unity is a great looking engine, and I absolutely plan on moving to it as I learn, gain experience, and progress in making games. But it is just not as suited to making the project I currently have in mind as quickly and simply as Game Maker will accomplish for me.

In other words, I feel Game Maker is the better tool for this specific job and possibly a few others I have in mind for making next. Sure, Unity is a better engine from an objective technical sense, but I already know Game Maker will do what I need, and I've learned enough to pull it off.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm currently working on a project. A visual novel. I am doing the art and writing while a friend of mine programs. I may have found a program that I can use instead but I may go his route. Although he is terribly busy with school so I might end up doing almost all of it on my own. We'll see. It's just in it's early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Sorry, but when I looked into it all I saw was people saying that it wasn't made for 2D and the simplest way to use it for 2D is to pretty much just use 3D graphics with a fixed camera to fake 2D.

So again, why would I waste my time right now making a simple project that I want to use sprite graphics with in an engine that isn't designed to make that as easy as possible, as opposed to an engine that was actually made with that in mind? It just feels a bit like I'm about to move to a new house and you're recommending I use a Ferrari to cart my furniture instead of a truck. Don't get me wrong, Unity is a great looking engine, and I absolutely plan on moving to it as I learn, gain experience, and progress in making games. But it is just not as suited to making the project I currently have in mind as quickly and simply as Game Maker will accomplish for me.

In other words, I feel Game Maker is the better tool for this specific job and possibly a few others I have in mind for making next. Sure, Unity is a better engine from an objective technical sense, but I already know Game Maker will do what I need, and I've learned enough to pull it off.
    Well I was only suggesting it because I've heard nothing but good things for the 2D aspects, I've only ever used it as a 3D engine. So no need to get your undies in a twist it was just a suggestion based on my experience, I still think Unity is much more flexible and there's a good reason it's an industry standard (even using PlayMaker).

But if you're comfortable with GameMaker, then by all means go for it but I still think even for 2D it's a very limiting engine.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not trying to sound very defensive or anything, just trying to explain my reasoning. Trust me, in the future I plan to move on to Unity when I feel it's time and Game Maker is holding me back. Yeah it has it's limitations, and I'm aware of a lot of them, but it's well suited to the game I'm planning to make right now so there's no need for a more complicated engine at the moment.

If anything though I was more wondering if you knew something I didn't as far as using Unity for 2D because I know it wasn't really made to handle it natively and I had no desire to spend who knows how long trying to get it to work right now, especially when I don't have the knowledge of how to do it, nor do I even know how long it would take or how much effort. When my goal is to jump into making a game as soon as possible so I can quickly prototype and get something out so I maintain my interest in the project, all of the unknowns surrounding Unity put me off of it for now.

And even when I switch to Unity down the road, I think given the simplicity GameMaker offers it can make a decent prototyping tool for just quickly iterating on a basic idea.