Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Pumpkin's Games That Didn't Make the Cut

As some of you know, I'm working on a Top 100ish Favourite Video Games List that I am super excited for and actually almost done. Not like tomorrow almost done, but relatively speaking.

But in the meantime, I wanted to do a thread with special mentions to the games that I specifically played to see if they would make the list, but they didn't. But as a twist, I'm going to try to be positive about it. I'll obviously tell you guys why it didn't make the cut, but I'll also do my best to focus on the positive aspects of them. Because I'm not happy they didn't make it, I obviously wanted them to or else I wouldn't have tried playing it.

Feel free to also share some games you wanted to like but didn't. I'm going to get my first post up soon.

*Also note that since I'm not done trying games, these won't have a list order because I may very well add some as I go along. I'll also only be posting one a day because this is supposed to stretch out to close to when I do finish my top games list, so I can't go too fast. Don't worry though, my top games list will have about 3 entries a day.

Hope you enjoy

Games:
    Special Entry: Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am
    The Last Story
    Knights in the Nightmare
    Chrono Cross
    Scribblenauts Unmasked
    Blazing Souls Accelate
    Dissidia / 012 Final Fantasy
    Radiant Historia
    Children of Mana
    Super Mario RPG
    Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
    Kingdom Hearts
    Suikoden Tierkreis

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

looing forward to seeing your epic list miss pumpkin

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

These lists are always amusing. I'm curious to see which games you liked enough to mention specifically but not in a list of your top 100 games. I don't even know if I've played 100 games, let alone 100 that would make a list!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Please include a review (while trying to remain positive) of your experience playing the game Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am. Pls k thx.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really looking forward to it!

Is... Is this where you're putting Bravely Default?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    These lists are always amusing. I'm curious to see which games you liked enough to mention specifically but not in a list of your top 100 games. I don't even know if I've played 100 games, let alone 100 that would make a list!
    I'm up to 84 on my top games list with 13-15 left to play (depending on if I buy two games I want). I don't play them all to finish to save time, I'll usually go 30 hours in, or 3/4 of the way and then read/watch the rest of the games, since usually by that point the gameplay is established and I can rate it accordingly.

But yes these isn't just a list of games I dislike, it is specifically games I wanted to make the list that didn't. I'm not including like the Wii Family Feud because that's just a silly game I play for fun sometimes but I wouldn't say its a great game and I never intended it to make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post

Gonna spoil this for you, but Bravely Default did make my top list :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Special Entry

This one was NEVER intended to make my list, but I'm going to review it for sharky anyways because he buys my food

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am
    260px-ATHFgame_front-1-.jpg

This is a game featuring the cast of Aqua Teen Hunger Force as they golf and fight some bad guys I guess. There are different levels and I think at one point you golf on the moon or something

Ahem, so each level you like... golf and stuff. But what makes this more unique, you know, aside from the golfers, is that to get to your ball after you.... golf it (I don't know golf terms) you have to fight monsters and stuff, like the Mooninites or whatever they're called.

Now the golf part I was actually pretty okay at, which is odd, but the fighting part not so much. I couldn't beat the monsters on the first level. It was awful. The game controls are clunky and weird. The game is weird.

For the positive: I would say it is actually pretty loyal to the show. You know how sometimes you get a game based on a movie or a TV show and its like... totally different and the voices are different and other than the name it has almost nothing to do with it? This isn't like that. The voices are all the same, the characters are the same as in the show. Even though I've never seen them golf in the show (not that I've watched it all, mind you) the amount of oddness in it just makes it fit well with what the show is.

So if you're looking for a silly game and you enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force, it's worth the $3.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Bravely default is pretty good ( imnot that far im on the wolf thing with a fire and ice head)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That game looks... Well... It sure looks, uh, like a thing!

I believe the words you are looking for are "Number one in the hood, G"

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

OMG an Aqua Teen game! I needs that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

What the smurf?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now then, for my first serious entry on this list

The Last Story
    last-story-660.jpg

The Last Story follows a young man and his group of mercenaries in a dying world. I would tell you in more detail, but I couldn't properly follow the story. Why? Well that leads me to why the game didn't make the cut.

While some areas are absolutely stunning, others are absolutely drab. And it is in one such area that the game begins. And if there's something you should know, it's that I have a low tolerance for drab. Not always, but more often then not it is a huge turn off for me.

At first I was very excited for this game because I'd heard so many good things. And the story seems really interesting. I still do think it's a good and interesting story, and I think the game does, for the most part, create good atmosphere. But even looking at the back cover I was concerned about the amount of... brown everywhere.

The gameplay. Oh the gameplay. When I started the game, I was immediately turned off by the visuals. But I gave it a chance. It didn't take long for the gameplay to become a negative too. Do you know what type of game I suck at? Well, all of them, but in particular? Sneaking. I can't sneak in a video game for the life of me. And they threw a bunch of instructions at me at once about sneaking and vaulting and more things and I couldn't keep it all straight. And I couldn't sneak. And aiming? Pfft. So basically I get all of this confusing drabness thrown at me right out of the gate. And character art that I didn't like.

But like I said, the game is not a bad game. Just isn't to my tastes. The story is interesting enough and well told, I think. I would have been able to follow it better if I didn't have to focus so hard on the gameplay because I couldn't get it. It has good atmosphere and it does have some beautiful areas and some interesting characters. Should be a good game to check out for action RPG fan who doesn't have the same hang ups as I do. While it wasn't my cup of tea, I can see why some people like it so much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was severely disappointed with The Last Story for one reason - the main couple is BOOOORIIING as all hell. Really, all the other characters have interesting personalities and dynamics, but Zael and Calista are so shallow and uninteresting that they really ruined for me what was otherwise a fantastic experience. Please, Sakaguchi, no more romance...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lol, I really loved the gameplay actually, and if you got farther in you could get access to paint you could use to decorate the characters outfits and make them wild colors. I agree with Fynn that the main couple is a huge downgrade for the game, but I ended up liking the world and supporting cast so much to be a bit more forgiving towards it. Sorry to hear the gameplay and drabness deterred you Pumpkin. Amusing list so far.