Thread: Sedorra: Native Races & Animals

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Sedorra: Native Races & Animals

IMPORTANT: This is a list of the known races and (fictional) animals in the world of Sedorra. Please note that when describing a race or animal, it details their general nature, not the nature that your character must adhere to.

Playable Races

HUMAN: Human!
    INSPIRED BY: Bill smurfin' Murray

URSUS: The Ursus are a spiritual, solitary race by nature. While they do have gathering areas, these places are rarely populated as the Ursus tend to wander the lands peacefully. Because of this, they are few in population although they do live remarkably long lives. They have variations within their race, each spending their spiritual time trying to be one with a certain part of the world. The Aelum on the mountains serve the sky, the Itore near lakes and oceans serve the sea, the Altus serve the forest, the very rare Arenam serve the desert, the Lumine serve the rivers and the Enum serve the grasslands. Ursus would not tend to travel in groups for long times because of their solitary nature. Many Ursus are too large to walk through a human door, so please keep this in mind - members of this race that are too large to fit through human doors are best used to serve in cameo roles in the wilds, offering sage advice and on rare occasions entering a battle to even out the odds.
    INSPIRED BY: Panserbjorne, Spirit Guides

DOBAN: Dwarfish/Orcish by nature and appearance, they appear like dwarves with orcish features such as strong builds, pointed ears and large jaws. The Doban are generally proud, blunt and materialistic yet very much enjoy the company of anyone honest, even during disagreements. Doban cities are located in tunnels and caverns deep within the mountains, yet they are perfectly capable of living in the cities of others. Depending on how long they spend underground, they can eventually have better eyesight in the night than the day. While they are strong and worthy fighters, they are not nimble due to their sturdy builds and short height.
    INSPIRED BY: Dwarves, Orcs, Falmer.

AKIM: The Akim (Akimolm literally means "Akim Home") are similar in appearance to Cardassians, yet with yellow, clay and brown skin colours and have a thick, reptilian skin. They wear clothing typical to desert-based people (loose cloth covering the head and body), and when in cooler weather they wear thick but flexible leather clothing underneath. They are nomadic in nature but if you find an oasis, chances are you will also find a tribe settled there. As a race evolved to suit deserts, they do not need to eat or drink as often and are more suited to cross country journeys than sprints. They are highly cautious by nature and those that remain in the desert tend to be very secretive and suspicious of foreigners because of this. Still, the many that travel outside the desert for trade - something important for the Akim - soon learn to trade information as well as their goods.
    INSPIRED BY: Various nomadic cultures, Fremen, Cardassian and this artwork: http://laurelhach.tumblr.com/post/43...because-i-dont

Life Expectancy / Limits

Race: Life expectancy [general life limitation]
    Human: 65 years [~110 years]
    Ursus: 200 years [~400 years]
    Akim: 100 [~500 years]
    Doban: 180 [~200 years]

Essentially humans life a standard lifespan given they aren't high tech, but can live through to 110 years or so in ideal conditions. The Ursus tend to be survivors, living through roughly five human generations, although they can live considerably longer. The Akim are often living through to 100 or so but in ideal conditions and very well monitored healthcare, a very few may live beyond that of the Ursus. Doban generally live through to quite an old age, and only in their last 20 years do they suddenly start to suffer aging issues.

Jobs / Classes

There are no official jobs/classes per race, but humanoids can do most things while the Ursus as a generalisation tend to be rather nomadic so don't have a job so much as they just travel, survive, guide others, pass on intelligence/information, doing mostly as they please in the wilds but I imagine they would also often aid other races when they are in a helpful mood.

Ursus, being generally very large and having paws, would naturally struggle for things that require small, nimble fingers (such as sewing and archery) but would be quite effective at things such as hunting (with jaws'n'claws), fishing, climbing and anything that is benefited by size/strength. I imagine, as they like to wander the lands, they would be excellent at offering advice (or even guiding) to people who are entering more hazardous/dangerous areas of the world such as the mountains and the Wylds.

The Akim are - similar to Homeworlders and Outworlders - split into two types, those that prefer to remain in the desert and those that prefer to travel the lands. The former all work together along with a few people of other races at various oasis and caves in the desert, and I imagine they have all kinds of jobs there. The travelers, however, are more often than not traders and merchants. There are others such as warriors, exporers or just curious types that like to live out of the desert, but as the entire desert-dwelling Akim benefit so much from trade with other races, Akim traders are a common sight.

Doban are, subject to some prejudice, not all stupid. They get this reputation because (other than their often blunt / loud nature) when others visit their cities the Doban see it as a time to celebrate having more comopany around, and inevitably get very drunk. There is also that the mining culture provides them a lot of muscle and they don't mind getting their hands dirty, so this can lead them getting into some grubbier jobs that humans in particular would generally reserve for people of lower intelligence but high strength. However, the Doban are actually highly regarded in fields such as the sciences, mathematics, engineering, architecture, sculpting, gemcutting and smithing as a result of their mining exploits. Those that live in human cities eventually don't feel they have to booze up every time they have a guest in their house (although the desire is always there).

As ever, though, this entire post is based on generalisations and there will always be those that differ from the norms... and, of course, those that enforce the stereotypes.

Fictional Animals

CHOCOBOS: Chocobos! You can not play as Chocobos as they are animals.
    INSPIRED BY: Boko

DRIGGERS: Rather than doing all the mining themselves, the Doban tame huge creatures called Driggers and train them to smell out certain types of minerals, much like a rescue dog would smell out humans after an avalanche. They dig through dirt and most rock using extremely powerful mole-like claws. Of similar intelligence to elephants, they are capable of a primitive communication with one another through grunts and they like to draw patterns on the ground and themselves. Driggers are not used in battle. You can not play as Driggers as they are animals.
    INSPIRED BY: This artwork: Goron Cave Guard by NateHallinanArt on deviantART

DRAGONS: Dragons. They have wings and jaws and whatnot. Extremely rare. You can not play as dragons as they are animals (yet to decide if any of them can talk, but they would likely be controlled by GMs if this were the case due to their immense power).
    INSPIRED BY: Smaug, Draco, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Humans should build doors to accommodate the intense girth of their furry brethren
    Ursus inequality shall become a thing of the past!
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, my character, if approved, has a loyal, faithful pet dog. I guess dogs would go in the 'animals' section.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ursus are relatively low in population and tend to be solitary (particularly the larger Ursus) and prefer nature to cities as a generalisation (although there are certainly likely to be some Ursus in each city, I'd imagine), so the humans - at the time they built cities with walls etc - would probably not have had their entrance in mind in many cases. I would expect the entrances to cities to be able to accommodate them and perhaps a few larger buildings, but probably not taverns/houses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Well, my character, if approved, has a loyal, faithful pet dog. I guess dogs would go in the 'animals' section.
    I'm keeping the list of animals for the fictional kinds for now. I think we can assume that cats, dogs etc. will exist in this world.

Just realised I forgot that there are dragons, so I suppose I better add them in...

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

So what is the average lifespan of an Ursus?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

How does this sound?

Race: Life expectancy [general life limitation]
    Human: 65 years [~110 years]
    Ursus: 200 years [~400 years]
    Akim: 100 [~500 years]
    Doban: 180 [~200 years]

Essentially humans life a standard lifespan given they aren't high tech, but can live through to 110 years or so in ideal conditions. The Ursus tend to be survivors, living through roughly five human generations, although they can live considerably longer. The Akim are often living through to 100 or so but in ideal conditions and very well monitored healthcare, a very few may live beyond that of the Ursus. Doban generally live through to quite an old age, and only in their last 20 years do they suddenly start to suffer aging issues.

I made most of these ages based on the kind of races they are. I figure that the Akim living that long is not based as much on survival like the Ursus, but based on self-preservation (similar to that of Elves).

I like to keep the life expectancy capped at around 200 because I don't like the idea of a 50 year old acting like (or being treated like) a child, while still allowing for the rare occurances of fairly 'ancient' characters.

EDIT: I've updated the OP of this thread with information from other threads based on things that have been asked recently.