View Poll Results: Is this game really as bad as they think!

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • heck no! not on my life!

47 94.00%
  • you bet! This is a pathetic attempt at a final fantasy!

3 6.00%
  • uuuuhhmmmmmmm?i don't know!

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why is this game so bad?!

because when VII and VIII came out everyone played them and said thats final fantasy and they chose to ignore the old school knights, castles, kingsmiddle ages theme of the previous FF's because thye never played them. so when FFIX brought the series back to the old style all the millions of FFVII/VIII fanboys went around going nope thats not how a FF should be. because soo many peopel see themselves as experts after playing 1 or 2 games of the series.

thats why when FFX came out a lot of people were crazy about it despite the cliche story, easy gameplay and boreing characters.

also the character design comes into affect. cloud and squall 2 rugged looking guys looks like they were made to save the world. and their tough guy personalitys help with that. then comes little skinny 16 year old zidane kid with a tail. doesnt look like a hero in anyones eyes. but thats wrong. zidane always seems to come to the rescue. and his jokeing around personality makes him quite the interesting character fun character.

the story was very interesting. each character had there own interesting story that gets in some exploration unlike some other ff's. and an interesting theme of memories is included in it.

one of if not my favorite FF.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

no way is this game bad, its very underrated and it is actually one of my favourites

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

I think that FFIX was great. It was one of the Final Fantasy Games that didn't get me bored after doing a bunch of stuff like FFVII,X,V,and IV. In VIII and X I liked but when it came down to doing sidequest it would take me days to complete cause of the boredom. In IV and V i only played them to add to my completion list but they were all really not my type. Back to topic i really tought that IX was awesome and was really enjoyable to play.

Thanks Polaris for the Awesome Avy and Sig!
    Beaten FF I,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VII CC,VII DC, VIII,IX,X,XII,XIII Dissidia Currently on I&X-2

Let us not forget the stupid excuse we have all heard "I couldn't by the fact the main character had a tail." :rolleyes2

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite in the series next to Final Fantasy VI. The story was excellent IMO, the characters were excellent and were well-placed in the plot, and there is little to hate about it. But there were some contributing factors.

- First, the press. It is safe to say that MOST of the press favored FFVII and FFVIII over FFIX. FFIX was like "nice game." They also criticized some weak points (like the gameplay being slow), among them was the music (which many press-reviewers called weak). The press in general didn't like the music.

Note: A lot of people, including me, love the music soundtrack, but the press criticized it nonetheless

- Late Gen Game. Lets face it. No matter how boring, stupid, pathetic, and weak a next gen library is, people still favor a weak next gen library. What I am saying, is that FFIX came out late in the PS1's lifetime. By then people moved onto the PS2 (which like all consoles at released had few good games), and didn't want to pick up a PS1 game cause it was last gen. Many good games fall victim to this, especially RPGs because they can be released at a normal time in Japan, but after localization come out late. This is a major contributing factor.

- Character Design. People said it. It looks silly and kiddy, but it works, yet people don't try it.

- "Slow" Story. I will admit the story is very good, but it doesn't really get into motion until the end of disc 2. It could be a good ten to twenty hours to reach that point, and without dedication you may not stay with it.

- Radical departure from FFVII/VIII. Self-explanatory.

Those are just some factors that led to FFIX not being popular among many.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game is good, not the best FF ever, but still a good decent FFR, worthy of being in the series.

7/10

This game is the bomb. I really can't say it enough.

Oh yes and (SPOILER)Beatrix RULES!

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

I've completed it for the third time and I still think the battle system sucks (compated to VII and VIII)
    ...Geddit?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bart's Friend Milhouse View Post
    I've completed it for the third time and I still think the battle system sucks (compated to VII and VIII)
    My only complaint on battles is that (even on the fastest setting) they were way too slow. It was a major step back, basically reverting battles to their NES days.

Other than that, it did have alot of customization just like VII and VIII, i mean Zidane is a thief but if you want you can make him more like a knight. Freya you can push in different direction, physical or magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    My only complaint on battles is that (even on the fastest setting) they were way too slow. It was a major step back, basically reverting battles to their NES days.

Other than that, it did have alot of customization just like VII and VIII, i mean Zidane is a thief but if you want you can make him more like a knight. Freya you can push in different direction, physical or magic.
    How were the battles so bad? I didn't find anything wrong with them, and they were the same as previous FFs. At least it seemed like it to me.

Customization? The characters have set job classes and can only equip one or two types of equipment. I don't see how you could customize them, or why you would want to. Since the classes fit perfectly and are all useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Deusa View Post
    who voted no? no one has addmited to it or to not liking it as far as i can see...........?
    I did.

9? Bad? Ha! no offence but what are those guys on that are sayiong that it's a crud!, seriously, it's a great game.. but generally people " dislike " certain games, don't let it come to you..

IX is my favorite 3D final fantasy, as most of the thread says it goes back to its roots and shows what FF games used to be like. Well, I have to admit the story is a tad more lighthearted than some older games but it fits. The characters are great, the music is wonderful, and the ability system is awesome as well. The battle system was very slow though.

IX is the way the series should have gone in the 3D era. To me, personally, it is the last good Final Fantasy.

thanks guys[and girls] oh yeah and hambone y did u pick no? im interested, really. u sounded more like an in-between to me.
    :fencing: On guard! *Yaro!**butobashte yaru wa!* Like H^ll!!! :nibbles: :catsmile:

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xurts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

How were the battles so bad? I didn't find anything wrong with them, and they were the same as previous FFs. At least it seemed like it to me.

Customization? The characters have set job classes and can only equip one or two types of equipment. I don't see how you could customize them, or why you would want to. Since the classes fit perfectly and are all useful.
    The battles were alot slower than the last few games, going back to V maybe. With ATB, your bar fills up, you go, but in FFIX there was alot of waiting to see things play out, by the time your character finishes their action they'll probably pick their next one before the next person/enemy's action finishes.

And what I meant was the customization with the ability system. You have alot of abilities to choose from and only so many you can put points into, you can make zidane really fast and really good at stealing or you can avoid to that to give him alot of power and HP. There's alot of variation open to how the player will choose to utilize each character to play their part.

This game is awesome. Before I bought it..I knew there were a lot of people who despised it and a lot of people who loved it. I was planning to buy it anyways. I actually think the battles are a bit faster than FFVIII battles. But I really liked the atmosphere in the game, just like VII and VIII. I liked how they returned to the old FF style. Especially the song that you hear at the game's main menu just oozes atmosphere xD When I beat the game it actually felt really complete. I really liked the ending in this one. And I liked the battle system more than FFVIII's. It was cool that every weapon had different abilities and it was up to you to decide wether you want to learn it or not. So I don't think this game sucks. I really enjoyed it. It isn't the best one..but it's a worthy entry to the series.