View Poll Results: Are you good at math?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm pretty awesome at it, math is like my second language

4 14.81%
  • I'm pretty good at it

5 18.52%
  • I'm good at some of it

7 25.93%
  • Not usually, no

4 14.81%
  • Math is the bane of my existance

7 25.93%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you good at math

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Are you good at math

I am not. Not at all

Well, considering I took advanced placement Calculus and Physics courses in high school and aced both the classes and the tests, I'd say that yes, I'm fairly well versed in math.

But English, on the other hand. Or any form of social studies...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was actually pretty good at it until I straight up dropped it because I hate math.

Blog Entries

My limit to practical problem solving ends somewhere around trigonometry, but my limit to understanding is somewhere around fourier transforms as long a I really focus and have full access to reference materials. Once three or more greek symbols are brought into it starts feeling like a chore.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I used to be very good at Maths. Then, at some point towards the end of secondary school, I just seemed to lose the knack for it.

In primary school, I imagined that I might end up being a physicist. Now here I am, doing an English Lit degree. Funny how things change.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Me + Maths = Yes

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The best Math class I ever had was one in college. It was this class where we focused on patterns & stuff.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I am reasonably good. I do arithmetic pretty fast in my head and i feel that i have a pretty firm grasp of trigonometry and algebra. I can do basic derivation and integration, but i feel that i am probably a bit rusty.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm alright. I mean, after not taking any sort of math class in a decade I was able to easily place into college level algebra. I was super surprised that I didn't have to take any developmental classes.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyone who has seen me watch an episode of Countdown will know that I am really smurfng good at arithmetic. If I'm presented with any kind of advanced maths though then I'll struggle.

Also, why is it called 'math' in the USA? We Brits say 'maths' as it's short for mathematics. Is it the same over there or is math short for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Anyone who has seen me watch an episode of Countdown will know that I am really smurfng good at arithmetic. If I'm presented with any kind of advanced maths though then I'll struggle.

Also, why is it called 'math' in the USA? We Brits say 'maths' as it's short for mathematics. Is it the same over there or is math short for something else?
    I've always just called it 'math', I don't think I know anyone who calls it 'maths' so I think it's pretty general here in the U.S. I'm not sure why they decided to drop the 's' but America does strange things lol although I do understand why you would call it 'maths'.

I'm pretty good at it considering that was my major in college I think my two favorite classes was differential equations and operations research!

i absolutely loath math with a deep burning passion...

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Math is a tricky thing for me. I never failed at Math, but it was hard for me to grasp it mostly because I thought anything aside from basic math was a waste of my time. It was also due to the fact that my formative years were wasted in a terrible system that wanted to hold students back by teaching them how to count smurfing change and not learn anything else. Geometry and Trigonometry were brutal, but I did well by being in fairly easy classes for those at a Standard or Academic level (Accelerated > Academic > Standard).

When I had an amazing teacher, I excelled. Algebra I got straight A's in and that's mostly due to having a non-mediocre teacher who not only cared about her job, but also about her students. She would sit with me after school; something that she did on her own accord because she knew I wanted to get it and when I did, I enjoyed it. She reveled in my success. She helped me entirely for free because they don't pay teachers to stay after school. It's sad that there aren't many teachers like her anymore for public schools, but I understand. They're underpaid anyway.

I also think it's fairly evident that a lot of people who are good at Math are not as good in English and vice versa. I was more interested in Language Arts classes and History. I found it hard to have that same passion for Math classes unless the teacher made it something interesting. If I were to be honest, I think people in general learn how to bulltrout and then use that to get by. Grades become, "who is the best bulltroutter" so I don't think public school education in America is really a good indication of someone who is knowledgeable in a particular subject.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Making A's in a top 100 University of North America so I'm good enough at it.

Math is a like black magic to me and to this day it's the one of my greatest nightmares!