Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Punctual, on time, or late?

I am a very punctual person. One time is late. I always try to show up 10-15 minutes early, depending on what it is. I leave the library to go to my classes 30 minutes before they start and it is about a 10 minute walk to each from the library. At my old school, due to small town bus schedules, I would show up 4 hours early rather than risk being 5-10 minutes late

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you're not early, you're late.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I always try to be early. If I can get there 10 to 15 minutes early I consider it on time. If I show up right on time... I'm late.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

usually early because i forget where to go

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I suffer from chronic tardiness.

Articles
    Blog Entries

An Ayen is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to

Articles
    Blog Entries

It depends. You honestly never want to be the first one to a party and I try to avoid that very scenario. Also it actively annoys me if you are hosting a dinner party and someone shows up 15+ minutes early. I'm cooking food so that we can eat it at specific times, I'm stressed and may still be cleaning or tidying up, get there when the invitation said to get there and no earlier or later.

However if it's something important like a job interview then yeah, I'll get there 15 minutes beforehand.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.
    Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

In the case of a dinner part you do want to be there when they say to be there. If I'm early, I'll drive back around the back a few times before entering.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dictate the mood of the event? If you come to my party early and 'dictate the mood of the event' you're off my guestlist for the next one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    In the case of a dinner part you do want to be there when they say to be there. If I'm early, I'll drive back around the back a few times before entering.
    Yeah, this is what I do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Dictate the mood of the event? If you come to my party early and 'dictate the mood of the event' you're off my guestlist for the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.

I assume when someone hosts a party they don't actually have a plan for what the mood is going to be. They have a maximum and a minimum but the rest is usually due to the general consensus of the guests and the guest that gets there first has the most power

I don't know if you guys are joking or misunderstood but I think he means you get to the party early ,and if you want it to be a rowdy night you try to start off with shots and put some cocaine that you brought for everyone on the coffee table or if you want it to be low key you offer the early arrivers a beer from the case you brought and put your cards against humanity on the coffee table in clear view so someone will later suggest you play cards against humanity.

Neither of these actions alone suggest an ulterior motive but can easily sway the mood of the night.

If you arrive later than everyone drenched in tequila and throw a big bag of cocaine on the table and start doing lines you suddenly become the asshole of the party when everyone was having a chill time, if you arrive later and everyone is off their face it's going to be hard to get everyone to chill out long enough to get a game of pictionary going.

On topic: In professional situations I'm usually early, in social gatherings where I know the organiser well I'll arrive on time, In a social gathering where I;m not really close to the organiser I'll come a bit later so that hopefully someone I know better has arrived before me or at least enough people that it diverts focus off me..
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 01-30-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Depends. For the most part I'm rather punctual, but I have a horrid track of being on time when casually meeting with friends at someone's place in the afternoon. Somehow I never quite manage to correctly assess the time I need to do all necessary chores before leaving.